“Every snap, every moment that I get out there is a huge deal for me.”

I think the big problem is that a lot of you guys don't think that Gangwich can make a leap in his play from his Jr to Sr years. Which is just not the case. Many players step up and really play when they are finally the man. It happens all the time. Steve Warren was nothing special till his senior year, then he played himself into a high draft pick. Donta Jones barely saw the field before he was a senior and them he started on a NC team and played a few years in the league. Kethen McCant does that ring a bell?

Let the season play out and see what happens.

Personally I think we will have a very solid year. I think he will more than hold his own on the football field.

Good post.

Don't understand the attitude of...."well, we have seen him play and he isn't that good". When he has another year to improve and with the coaching changes....everything changes.

True

I think the big problem is that a lot of you guys don't think that Gangwich can make a leap in his play from his Jr to Sr years. Which is just not the case. Many players step up and really play when they are finally the man. It happens all the time. Steve Warren was nothing special till his senior year, then he played himself into a high draft pick. Donta Jones barely saw the field before he was a senior and them he started on a NC team and played a few years in the league. Kethen McCant does that ring a bell?

Personally I think we will have a very solid year. I think he will more than hold his own on the football field.

Good post.

Don't understand the attitude of...."well, we have seen him play and he isn't that good". When he has another year to improve and with the coaching changes....everything changes.

Well, that is just the thing, having coached class A football, for about 15 years, we had kids that stepped up from their Jr to Sr year and played. The bulb just goes on in some kids. They go from being a back up to saying now it is my turn. All I am saying is that it can and does happen a lot.

Good post.

Well, that is just the thing, having coached class A football, for about 15 years, we had kids that stepped up from their Jr to Sr year and played. The bulb just goes on in some kids. They go from being a back up to saying now it is my turn. All I am saying is that it can and does happen a lot.

I agree with that. I have also had kids that looked like they were going to be great one year and came back the next and never really did anything.

For every kid that steps up, there is one that drops or stays the same. We have seen it through the years and it will go on for many more.

Gangwish isn't the best athlete we have at the position but does everything correctly and that means a lot to coaches. He reminds me of Austin Cassidy from a few years ago.

Good post.

I agree with that. I have also had kids that looked like they were going to be great one year and came back the next and never really did anything.

So....why don't fans wait to see what happens instead of just judging him before his career is over?

For every kid that steps up, there is one that drops or stays the same. We have seen it through the years and it will go on for many more.

Gangwish isn't the best athlete we have at the position but does everything correctly and that means a lot to coaches. He reminds me of Austin Cassidy from a few years ago.

Another good comparison.

I'll tell you one thing about these guys, I'd much rather have them on the team than not have them at all.

• Fire 1

Good post.

So....why don't fans wait to see what happens instead of just judging him before his career is over?

Well, I think because this is a Husker post board. So we talk about "the future" a lot, like, recruits, the upcoming schedule, predictions, things like that.

Good post.

Well, I think because this is a Husker post board. So we talk about "the future" a lot, like, recruits, the upcoming schedule, predictions, things like that.

Hey...I love talking about the future.

I think that if Gangwish improves on being more aggressive off the ball and improves his reaction time to the ball he could be a very good player for us. Some of that can be improved through hard work and some through scheme.

Or......I could just have the attitude...he sucks...next man up.

I'll be interested to see if the scheme changes do anything for Gangwish's play. I always got the feeling that Bo's defense never really favored players that weren't athletic freaks. We've had a rough go of things along the defensive line for years and the two best players we've had have been 1st round draft talent and athletic freaks. Crick gets some praise too but a lot of other players just never really stood out.

Gangwish did have the lowest number of TFL's among starting defensive linemen, but he also had more than players like Cooper, Santos, Banderas, Mitchell, Cockrell and Kalu. Again, those are different positions and I don't want to compare that part of it. I'm just saying he did make some decent plays for us even if he still has things to work on and improve.

Walk-on, five star, whatever... I don't care who starts as long as they're the best option. I don't think we'll ever go back to the days where we consistently saw walk-ons making big names for themselves in the conference, but, Spencer Long is evidence that you can still get a great player out of a perceived lack of talent.

• Fire 2