Martinez and the NFL

Signed as a FA by the Eagles but failed his physical and was let go.

...and with the way the Eagles run their offense this was the perfect fit with the best chance of making it.

Sorry. Not to be the party pooper here but your comment Eric, isn't based on reality at all. Nick Foles was the Eagles starting QB last season and when he was injured Mark Sanchez took over. These guys are polar opposites of Martinez, literally.

Martinez was not the perfect fit for the Eagles offense. You could say maybe years ago when Mike Vick was their QB that his game somewhat resembled Tayor's but lets face it, thats only becaue Vick and Martinez could both run. Vick had a great arm and even Vick couldn't be the perfect fit for that Eagles offense either.

These fantasies of Martinez being an NFL QB are purely fantasies. It's alright, we're Husker fans. We wanted the kid to do well. Nothing wrong with that. Fact of the matter is, if Taylor was going to make it in the NFL it was not going to be at QB. It's not personal, it's not hatred, it's just reality.

Hmmmm. That might be really underselling Wilson. But admittedly, he is in a great situation there in Seattle, so it can be hard to disentangle.

Well, he is an NFL QB, and I think he's definitely deserving of his spot in the league. But, he's not a Top 10 QB IMHO. He doesn't impact a game like a Brady, Manning, Brees, etc. I think he's a great leader and he often makes big plays when he needs to. But, with their roster, I could see a few guys being very successful up there. I don't mean to knock him because I actually like him as a player, but, I just think there are probably 10 or 11 guys I'd rather have.

Wisconsin really took a leap forward when he was QB there. Seattle has as well. He may not be the most glamorous of QB's, but he's a winner. He's comparable to Frazier in that regard where he just makes everyone around him better. Russell Wilson is by definition the "It" factor. How you'd rank him with other NFL QB's, I don't know. However, I do know he has just as many Super Bowl wins as Manning and Brees with a lot more career in front of him than them. I'd definitely have him in my top 10, but to each his own.

Hmmmm. That might be really underselling Wilson. But admittedly, he is in a great situation there in Seattle, so it can be hard to disentangle.

Well, he is an NFL QB, and I think he's definitely deserving of his spot in the league. But, he's not a Top 10 QB IMHO. He doesn't impact a game like a Brady, Manning, Brees, etc. I think he's a great leader and he often makes big plays when he needs to. But, with their roster, I could see a few guys being very successful up there. I don't mean to knock him because I actually like him as a player, but, I just think there are probably 10 or 11 guys I'd rather have.

Wisconsin really took a leap forward when he was QB there. Seattle has as well. He may not be the most glamorous of QB's, but he's a winner. He's comparable to Frazier in that regard where he just makes everyone around him better. Russell Wilson is by definition the "It" factor. How you'd rank him with other NFL QB's, I don't know. However, I do know he has just as many Super Bowl wins as Manning and Brees with a lot more career in front of him than them. I'd definitely have him in my top 10, but to each his own.

I want to see the complete list of 10-11 QB's that come up before Wilson.

btw...while I'll defend Taylor Martinez's career at Nebraska, I don't think even the healthy version of him makes it in the NFL.

The league has been tough on dual threat QBs who were better passers and decision makers.

Agreed, at least not as a QB. Just too many guys out there who are better. He definitely wasn't to the level of Russell Wilson or Cam Newton in terms of dual-threat abilities, and Wilson isn't even really that great of an NFL QB. He's the type of guy who needed a very strong support system around him in order to win a title which is what he got.

I think he would have made a good career in the league as an Antwon Randle El type of player.

I would have loved to see what TM would have done if he stayed healthy in 2013.

Same. Especially because he started the season with a 9/1 touchdown to interception ratio with two of the three games being on a busted foot. He still didn't play all that badly against Minnesota, either.

In no particular order:

Peyton Manning

Aaron Rodgers

Tony Romo

Tom Brady

Eli Manning

Drew Brees

Andrew Luck

Joe Flacco

Matt Ryan

Phillip Rivers

Ben Roethlisberger

Russell Wilson would then fall somewhere after these guys for me. Again, that's not their order of greatness, just guys I'd take ahead of him. He's got that "it" factor, but so do most of the guys I just listed. To some degree, any successful NFL QB has "it", otherwise they wouldn't be in the NFL. Most of the guys I listed also have better QBR's as well as passer ratings.

Another reason I move him out of the Top 10 - at least five of the guys I listed are so talented they can make up for a lot of roster deficiencies, and I definitely think some of their teams aren't making it to the playoffs without them. I just don't know if Russell Wilson is in that same conversation, personally.

• Fire 1

I could go either way on Russell Wilson. As Niners fan, a lot of my admiration is grudging. But part of that "it" factor is a will to win, including miraculous comebacks after playing three quarters of crappy ball. It's hard to bet against him.

Matt Ryan may be a stretch, but everyone else on Enhance's list has several seasons of stats under his belt. Russell Wilson needs a couple more seasons to see if he's a system quarterback playing with a historically great defense.

Vince Young, Michael Vick and Robert Griffin III all appeared on the edge of greatness before turning into liabilities. Guess my guy Colin Kaepernick is teetering there, too. The NFL has not been kind to improvisational running quarterbacks.

• Fire 1

In no particular order:

Peyton Manning

Aaron Rodgers

Tony Romo

Tom Brady

Eli Manning

Drew Brees

Andrew Luck

Joe Flacco

Matt Ryan

Phillip Rivers

Ben Roethlisberger

Russell Wilson would then fall somewhere after these guys for me. Again, that's not their order of greatness, just guys I'd take ahead of him. He's got that "it" factor, but so do most of the guys I just listed. To some degree, any successful NFL QB has "it", otherwise they wouldn't be in the NFL. Most of the guys I listed also have better QBR's as well as passer ratings.

Another reason I move him out of the Top 10 - at least five of the guys I listed are so talented they can make up for a lot of roster deficiencies, and I definitely think some of their teams aren't making it to the playoffs without them. I just don't know if Russell Wilson is in that same conversation, personally.

All of those QBs named have better #2 target options than Wilson has ever had #1, except maybe Flacco, a team that has won with defense carrying them to a SB win. 32 out of 32 on passing attempts hinders stats and opportunities to shine for RW3.

I can't completely argue against you and I somewhat accept what you're getting at, mostly due to the opinion I don't think he deserves highest paid QB money yet, he has benefitted from one of the best rushing offenses as well as the best 3 year stretch of total defense since the 69-71/72 Vikings. All of the games Hawks have lost have been high scoring games...24+ plus points scored against. He needs to start winning some games when his defense can't up. I also think Bevell is somewhat of an idiot too, ie passing on the goal line with the best RB in the league.

And I accidently ommitted Luck in my earlier post, only Rodgers and Luck would be two QBs I'd take over him. Ryan cannot win a big game. Romo is also anti clutch. The rest of the list are aging veterans.

Not a big fan of his, but when healthy I feel $Cam could be listed up there too.

Slightly unrelated but I just want to add two things:

1) Taylor and Russel Wilson's numbers through their junior years were near identical. It wasn't until his senior season that Russell Wilson became an elite college quarterback, and while it's unlikely that Taylor ever would have progressed the same way, crazier things have happened.

2) How insane is it that Wilson didn't get drafted until the 6th round? This is a perfect example of NFL talking heads and scouts getting caught up so far in their own bullsh#t. Any sensible fan that watched the dude play probably had a good idea that he'd be a good quarterback in the league. I predicted that he would start sometime in his rookie year, and it still blows my mind that he was so underestimated coming out.

In no particular order:

Peyton Manning

Aaron Rodgers

Tony Romo

Tom Brady

Eli Manning

Drew Brees

Andrew Luck

Joe Flacco

Matt Ryan

Phillip Rivers

Ben Roethlisberger

That's a good list!

Personally, I'd rather have Wilson over Romo, Eli and Matt Ryan.

And this is more than just numbers, stats, and whatever. It's just the way each of those guys "feel". I'm not feeling it with Romo. He's lost a lot of big games, by no fault of his, but he just hasn't done it. Eli has two rings, but he's seemed inconsistent recently. Too inconsistent. Has Ryan won a playoff game?

Flacco I'm on the fence, but he gets pretty hot during the playoffs. I know Wilson obviously does too, but honestly, it's a toss up.

The other guys, I can get down with taking before Wilson.

Signed as a FA by the Eagles but failed his physical and was let go.

...and with the way the Eagles run their offense this was the perfect fit with the best chance of making it.

Sorry. Not to be the party pooper here but your comment Eric, isn't based on reality at all. Nick Foles was the Eagles starting QB last season and when he was injured Mark Sanchez took over. These guys are polar opposites of Martinez, literally.

Martinez was not the perfect fit for the Eagles offense. You could say maybe years ago when Mike Vick was their QB that his game somewhat resembled Tayor's but lets face it, thats only becaue Vick and Martinez could both run. Vick had a great arm and even Vick couldn't be the perfect fit for that Eagles offense either.

These fantasies of Martinez being an NFL QB are purely fantasies. It's alright, we're Husker fans. We wanted the kid to do well. Nothing wrong with that. Fact of the matter is, if Taylor was going to make it in the NFL it was not going to be at QB. It's not personal, it's not hatred, it's just reality.

True2tRA, Your 100% correct. As I was writing that in my head I was thinking maybe KR, PR, or occasional wideout. If he were to make a NFL team as an athlete, I think it would have been with a team like Philly where a coach like Chip Kelley values speed. Not even considering QB as you pointed out perfectly. Sorry for the confusion.

True2tRA, Your 100% correct. As I was writing that in my head I was thinking maybe KR, PR, or occasional wideout. If he were to make a NFL team as an athlete, I think it would have been with a team like Philly where a coach like Chip Kelley values speed. Not even considering QB as you pointed out perfectly. Sorry for the confusion.

I was thinking the same thing. He'd play the role that Brad Smith similarly played when he was in the NFL. The occasional "wildcat" for Smith while Martinez would get the occasional snap for an option play. Definitely not a starting QB, but TM could exploit defenses a couple more times than Mark Sanchez could dream of.

Ryan has won a handful of playoff games.

I'd take Wilson over Romo, Eli and Rivers for sure.

He has won one, which is more than I thought.

Tom Brady has won 21 playoff games. That's ridiculous. I mean, the closest active player is Peyton with 11.

Wilson is 6-2 (in the post-season) in the 3 years he's been in the league.

Funny thing, Mark Sanchez has won 4. Which totally flippin' negates the argument I want to have... haha! I still stick to what I said...

http://www.footballdb.com/stats/qb-records.html?type=post