Martinez and the NFL

Fans are stupid, they believe what ever the head coach tells them, proof of that is on this site.

That doesn't mean we're stupid. It means we're innocently ignorant, because we have no idea what goes on in locker rooms, practice, training sessions, etc. Since the head coach is a professional with the insight of running the program, there is nothing unintelligent about believing what they say.

When a player is very obviously not okay, and a coach says "he's okay", then it's pretty f'ing stupid to believe him.

Fans are stupid, they believe what ever the head coach tells them, proof of that is on this site.

That doesn't mean we're stupid. It means we're innocently ignorant, because we have no idea what goes on in locker rooms, practice, training sessions, etc. Since the head coach is a professional with the insight of running the program, there is nothing unintelligent about believing what they say.

You clownin boo.

For a while there, he really was something though, wasn't he :)

I think Taylor Martinez was good enough to survive that horrible, horrible song.

But wow....those clips of his freshman year....

I almost forgot how tough he was. He took hits. He did not go down easy. He was on fire.

After the injury I honestly think he got most of his speed back. But he was never as fearless. The coaches didn't want him hurt, told him to avoid excess contact. So when he hit open field he immediately looked for the sideline or the right place to hookslide, which often ended awkwardly in-between.

I'd say Martinez also completed a lot more precision passes than some folks remember.

• Fire 2

TM was so much fun in 2010, personally my favorite year of the Bo Pelini era until the latter parts of the season after TM got injured and the team took a slide. The excitement was about more than just his play on the field, but, also the giddy energy in your head going "We have this guy for three more years, we have this guy for three more years, we have this guy for three more years!"

I always thought he took way too much criticism, as I know many of you do, too. He certainly deserved heat for his ball security issues which was his biggest downfall. But, the mental toughness and fortitude of our recent teams hasn't been that great week-to-week, and we didn't really have a great team around him. And he may not have been the greatest passer or decision maker, even in his senior year, but you can't knock his work ethic. He worked hard to improve his mechanics after the 2011 season (bumping his completion percentage from 56.3 percent to 62.0 his junior season) and perhaps could've put together his best year (statistically) his senior year had he been healthy.

• Fire 2

If Taylor was healthy(very hard for how he played) He would have been able to make the NFL...

Taylor would have gone down as one of the greats if he stayed healthy.... Easily one of the most dynamic QB runners i have ever seen. His ability with the option read was so impressive.

Taylor was great, but I am still not convinced that he actually ever "read" anyone on the zone read play. I saw too many times where he made the incorrect read that I think he determined before the snap whether he was keeping/giving the ball.

Its hard to imagine how good he could have been if he had been 100% healthy for his entire career. I have never seen that type of speed. Does anyone have a 40 time for him during his RS freshman year?

He was fast, but I think it was his acceleration (10 yd dash) more than his top end speed where he would beat defenders. His first few steps were so quick.

When a player is very obviously not okay, and a coach says "he's okay", then it's pretty f'ing stupid to believe him.

Half of Taylor's career he wasn't obviously not okay.

If Taylor was healthy(very hard for how he played) He would have been able to make the NFL...

Taylor would have gone down as one of the greats if he stayed healthy.... Easily one of the most dynamic QB runners i have ever seen. His ability with the option read was so impressive.

Taylor was great, but I am still not convinced that he actually ever "read" anyone on the zone read play. I saw too many times where he made the incorrect read that I think he determined before the snap whether he was keeping/giving the ball.

I agree to a point, but he still had major success with it. He kept it most of the time, but was good enough to make it work even when he made the wrong choice.

I agree to a point, but he still had major success with it. He kept it most of the time, but was good enough to make it work even when he made the wrong choice.

I'm not sure I really buy that he misread it all that often. I'm sure there were times but if you really misread it, you'd have the unblocked defender right in your face. And Martinez's specialty was NOT his ability to juke people and make them miss.

Its hard to imagine how good he could have been if he had been 100% healthy for his entire career. I have never seen that type of speed. Does anyone have a 40 time for him during his RS freshman year?

He was fast, but I think it was his acceleration (10 yd dash) more than his top end speed where he would beat defenders. His first few steps were so quick.

Still.....go back and watch the TD against Wisconsin in the Big 10 Championship Game. Martinez had probably scrambled for 40 yards before he ever crossed the line of scrimmage, at which point he STILL had a fifth gear that kicked in and blew past the fastest guys in the Badger secondary.

And that was 2012, two years after the injury. And just a couple months after running untouched for 95 yards against UCLA.

I think Taylor recovered most of his physical skills, and even improved as a passer, but couldn't escape the bad mojo after the 2010 dream season went horribly wrong.

• Fire 1

I'm not sure I really buy that he misread it all that often. I'm sure there were times but if you really misread it, you'd have the unblocked defender right in your face. And Martinez's specialty was NOT his ability to juke people and make them miss.

It's certainly easy for us Nebraska fans to nitpick on his reads when we can recite certain plays where he made the wrong read. However, the majority of the time, he did. I would agree with the assessment that he made wrong reads if we had a lot of negative running plays. But we didn't. The option was actually very effective for us. I mean, I can go back to plays from Tommie's, Frost's, and Crouch's days that I can say "he should/shouldn't have pitched it there."

I would have loved to see what TM would have done if he stayed healthy in 2013. He was riding a pretty strong wave from 2012 when he shared first team Big Ten with Braxton Miller. I also would have been curious to see what he would have done with the Eagles. I mean, they could have used some experience running the option. I could have seen him playing a similar role that Brad Smith played with his prospective teams. I similar role they might have in mind for Tim Tebow.

• Fire 1

It's certainly easy for us Nebraska fans to nitpick on his reads when we can recite certain plays where he made the wrong read. However, the majority of the time, he did. I would agree with the assessment that he made wrong reads if we had a lot of negative running plays. But we didn't. The option was actually very effective for us. I mean, I can go back to plays from Tommie's, Frost's, and Crouch's days that I can say "he should/shouldn't have pitched it there."

I would have loved to see what TM would have done if he stayed healthy in 2013. He was riding a pretty strong wave from 2012 when he shared first team Big Ten with Braxton Miller. I also would have been curious to see what he would have done with the Eagles. I mean, they could have used some experience running the option. I could have seen him playing a similar role that Brad Smith played with his prospective teams. I similar role they might have in mind for Tim Tebow.

Exactly. I think the misreads just stand out more because of the overall frustration. You don't remember that the right read let to the 80 yard TD - just the blazing speed.

And considering Martinez, Abdullah, Burkhead and Helu all shared the ball but are four of the Top 10 rushers in Husker history - despite two of them missing most of their senior years with injuries - I don't think we were messing things up that often.

Exactly. I think the misreads just stand out more because of the overall frustration. You don't remember that the right read let to the 80 yard TD - just the blazing speed.

And considering Martinez, Abdullah, Burkhead and Helu all shared the ball but are four of the Top 10 rushers in Husker history - despite two of them missing most of their senior years with injuries - I don't think we were messing things up that often.

Agree!!!