Texas Cop, "Police Brutality", Black kids.

Boo freaking Hoo LOMS.

I didn't post in your thread and you take offense or what?

Get off your high horse.

That doesn't really bother me, but I definitely take offense at your ignorant grandstanding trying to prove that situations like these, that keep happening over and over all over the place, don't have a racial component. That's tragic.

I don't think it had a racial component to it when it came to the officer. To me, he was doing his job and there happened to be a black kid involved. Go read the link the CD posted above. There was more to the story that wasn't being mentioned but don't let that cloud your view.

Nobody can really say one way or the other when it comes to what is going on internally in the mind of that officer. But, obviously, at the very least, as has been reported, there is a racial component in the sense of older white folk in the neighborhood and their prejudicial language toward the minorities in the area.

Here's what's tough, and also pretty lame. People of color are doing their best to submit to the rest of us that they face systemic, institutionalized disadvantages and prejudice. bullsh#t, we say. Then, a black man gets his spine destroyed while being arrested, or gets shot by an overzealous neighborhood watch citizen, or killed for having a toy gun, or whatever other situation. People then try to use that as evidence of the reality of the system, but instead of focusing on the grander, underlying epidemic that people are trying to point to, that is bigger than the individual circumstances of single isolated incidents, we only poke holes in the details of that specific situation and discredit their entire claim. That's lame as hell, because we aren't even trying to hear what is being said.

Like, if we were friends and I was like, "Dude I think I have Asperger's", you'd either (hopefully) say, "Whoa. Let's get you checked out and make sure this isn't serious." OR. You'd start picking my theory apart by dismissing all of the individual symptoms inside their own vacuums. You don't have great social skills? That's not a disease dude you're just kinda weird. You don't lack empathy you're just more internal. The way you speak just means you're smart it doesn't mean you have a condition. I think you just avoid eye contact because you're nervous and have anxiety is all. Dude some people just aren't athletes it's fine that you don't have amazing motor skills.

Ok. But if I'm seeing a lack of social cue understanding, lack of empathy, formal style of speaking, avoiding eye contact, delayed motor movement, etc. etc. etc. etc., you can discredit all of those things on their own all you want, but you're missing the possible reality of what they are painting as a bigger picture.

• Fire 2

Boo freaking Hoo LOMS.

Get off your high horse.

That doesn't really bother me, but I definitely take offense at your ignorant grandstanding trying to prove that situations like these, that keep happening over and over all over the place, don't have a racial component. That's tragic.

I don't think it had a racial component to it when it came to the officer. To me, he was doing his job and there happened to be a black kid involved. Go read the link the CD posted above. There was more to the story that wasn't being mentioned but don't let that cloud your view.

Nobody can really say one way or the other when it comes to what is going on internally in the mind of that officer. But, obviously, at the very least, as has been reported, there is a racial component in the sense of older white folk in the neighborhood and their prejudicial language toward the minorities in the area.

Here's what's tough, and also pretty lame. People of color are doing their best to submit to the rest of us that they face systemic, institutionalized disadvantages and prejudice. bullsh#t, we say. Then, a black man gets his spine destroyed while being arrested, or gets shot by an overzealous neighborhood watch citizen, or killed for having a toy gun, or whatever other situation. People then try to use that as evidence of the reality of the system, but instead of focusing on the grander, underlying epidemic that people are trying to point to, that is bigger than the individual circumstances of single isolated incidents, we only poke holes in the details of that specific situation and discredit their entire claim. That's lame as hell, because we aren't even trying to hear what is being said.

Like, if we were friends and I was like, "Dude I think I have Asperger's", you'd either (hopefully) say, "Whoa. Let's get you checked out and make sure this isn't serious." OR. You'd start picking my theory apart by dismissing all of the individual symptoms inside their own vacuums. You don't have great social skills? That's not a disease dude you're just kinda weird. You don't lack empathy you're just more internal. The way you speak just means you're smart it doesn't mean you have a condition. I think you just avoid eye contact because you're nervous and have anxiety is all. Dude some people just aren't athletes it's fine that you don't have amazing motor skills.

Ok. But if I'm seeing a lack of social cue understanding, lack of empathy, formal style of speaking, avoiding eye contact, delayed motor movement, etc. etc. etc. etc., you can discredit all of those things on their own all you want, but you're missing the possible reality of what they are painting as a bigger picture.

TL;DR

especially a post from you.

Just cuz you lived in Atlanta, and now Chicago or wherever, and have some black friends doesn't make you empathetic. You don't turn into some pseudo black person.

You aren't the only one that has black friends.

While we're at it. Since no one knows whats going on in the mind of anyone. Why should we ever have a discussion, ever again.

Mod Note: I know this is the politics and religion forum and things can get a little heated in here. However, that doesn't mean anyone has the grounds to tell people to STFU. There are ways of disagreeing without using such language.

Boo freaking Hoo LOMS.

Get off your high horse.

One post doesn't equal = grandstanding. You didn't even see my whole conversation. Which I later said.

My quote directly from Facebook (which you could have seen before but chose not to) - "It's not that I think racial profiling isn't a problem because it definitely is in some (even a lot of) cases. I just don't think that it's the case with this story. We have to put ourselves in the cop's shoe too. They are also human. With their own safety to keep in mind too especially with all the media coverage and hate towards them. Both sides are on edge, there is no doubt about that."

Real intelligent for someone like you to take the initial post and not to delve deeper into the comments making me look like an ass.

But I get it, It's what you do. It's what you've always done.

My quote directly from Facebook (which you could have seen before but chose not to) - "It's not that I think racial profiling isn't a problem because it definitely is in some (even a lot of) cases. I just don't think that it's the case with this story.

They said that they were able to gather at the pool using guest passes and that the incident began when adults at the pool told the black children to leave the area and return to “Section 8 [public] housing.”

“I think a bunch of white parents were angry that a bunch of black kids who don’t live in the neighborhood were in the pool,” Brooks, who is white, told BuzzFeed.

“Everyone who was getting put on the ground was black, Mexican, Arabic,” he added. The cop “didn’t even look at me. It was kind of like I was invisible.”

Racial tension allegedly sparked the entire fiasco.

TL;DR

Just cuz you lived in Atlanta, and now Chicago or wherever, and have some black friends doesn't make you empathetic. You don't turn into some pseudo black person.

While we're at it. Since no one knows whats going on in the mind of anyone. Why should we ever have a discussion, ever again.

Mod Note: I know this is the politics and religion forum and things can get a little heated in here. However, that doesn't mean anyone has the grounds to tell people to STFU. There are ways of disagreeing without using such language.

I'm including myself in all of this. The more I interact with people that are different than me, the more I realize that I think racist thoughts, that I behave in discriminatory ways and that I contribute to the status quo in ways that I certainly have never done on purpose or maliciously, and that I had no idea I was even doing. I still do this. All Atlanta and Chicago have done is start to show me that I'm part of the problem.

Nobody said 'no one knows whats going on in the mind of anyone.' The point is that you don't know what is going on in the mind of that police officer, because you don't know him, and you haven't heard him talk about it. We should have discussion because there are plenty of people that are, in fact, trying to explain themselves and talk about their experience and what is going on in their mind and in their lives. And these people don't feel like they are being heard, so their question is, "why AREN'T we having these discussions, because you DON'T know what is going on in our lives."

I don't think you're really trying to have a discussion about it.

• Fire 1

Boo freaking Hoo LOMS.

Get off your high horse.

Again...Read the story that CD posted.

For every black person that gets shot, beat or whatever, there is a white person that is going through the same. It just so happens to be big news when it happens to someone of different skin color. A good friend of mine is a cop in Denver and one of his fellow cops got shot by 2 black guys while he was talking to a person he had just pulled over. Where is the national news on that? Isn't that a form of racism?

• Fire 1

TL;DR

I'm including myself in all of this. The more I interact with people that are different than me, the more I realize that I think racist thoughts, that I behave in discriminatory ways and that I contribute to the status quo in ways that I certainly have never done on purpose or maliciously, and that I had no idea I was even doing. I still do this. All Atlanta and Chicago have done is start to show me that I'm part of the problem.

Nobody said 'no one knows whats going on in the mind of anyone.' The point is that you don't know what is going on in the mind of that police officer, because you don't know him, and you haven't heard him talk about it. We should have discussion because there are plenty of people that are, in fact, trying to explain themselves and talk about their experience and what is going on in their mind and in their lives. And these people don't feel like they are being heard, so their question is, "why AREN'T we having these discussions, because you DON'T know what is going on in our lives."

I was having a discussion. I started the topic. I'm not monitoring this board all day long. Your assumption is wrong.

I know that media has been hot on the topic of police brutality. If you are a cop, and see and read all the hatred for cops these days, you are gunna have emotions run a little high when in situations like this. It's human.

Boo freaking Hoo LOMS.

Get off your high horse.

I think CD's link said the teens were yelling racial slurs at the neighbors. Now was that white teens yelling racial slurs at the black neighbors, black teens yelling racial slurs at white neighbors, or a combination of both, who knows? Did the black neighbors yell racial slurs back to the white teens, did the white neighbors yell racial slurs back to the black teens, or was it a combination of both, who knows? Also, did all the white/black teens yell racial slurs at all the black/white neighbors and did all the black/white neighbors yell racial slurs back at all the white/black teens? The judgments we make undoubtedly change dependent upon the picture presented, and nobody on this board fully knows what happened, and each piece of evidence presents us with an entirely new situation.

Which is really the point I want to drive home: the power of the situation. To use your analogy, let's say I avoid eye contact when I'm in a situation that makes me nervous/uncomfortable, but make eye contact in the absence of those situations. You wouldn't say I have Asperger's because that lack of eye contact needs to be present across situations, and that, my friend, is a pretty sweeping analogy. You're essentially saying that everything committed by white people against black people is done on the basis of race and race alone, which I think is pretty short-sighted. Might there be bad eggs in the police department who abuse their power? Without a doubt. Heck, there are even whole towns who subtlety discriminate and disadvantage black people. But to say that this is the case whenever a black person meets an unfortunate situation completely disregards any situational component necessary in understanding human behavior.

I'm growing sick of us trying to solve problems that aren't there. Racism is a problem and rears its ugly head on a daily basis. But not every scenario includes a racial component, even if it involves people of two different ethnicities. We will never solve a problem until we fully understand said problem, and crying racism whenever something bad happens with two people of different ethnicities only blocks of from fully comprehending the racism problem in America.

• Fire 2

TL;DR

I was having a discussion. I started the topic. I'm not monitoring this board all day long. Your assumption is wrong.

I know that media has been hot on the topic of police brutality. If you are a cop, and see and read all the hatred for cops these days, you are gunna have emotions run a little high when in situations like this. It's human.

It's also the cops duty to set aside those feelings and act in accordance with the law.

TL;DR

It's also the cops duty to set aside those feelings and act in accordance with the law.

Of course it is. However it's not easy.

I have to be like that on a daily basis when a kid is poking and prodding the buttons of us coaches. There have been times I've been more harsh than others (never physically) but in terms of language that I'm not proud of.

My point is, that cops regardless of what they are suppose to be (emotionally stable) sometimes aren't in compliance 100%. That doesn't mean they are horrible human beings or cops. It just means that they let their emotions get in the way because of an escalated situation with kids running all over the place and when outnumbered, it gets stressful.

We've all had situations where emotions aren't in check.

Thankfully, that older white gentleman was there when that young lady got thrown to the ground, otherwise things could have gotten out of hand. When he pulled his gun the officer was obviously heated for some reason and felt threated when he was largely outnumbered.

my biggest question is when all the kids were sitting around on the ground and not doing anything, most speaking politely why was this same officer swearing up a storm at them? None of the other responding officers had any type of actions like this, yet they were all at the same situation.

EDIT: There is a more productive way to say this:

This post went out from a woman who lives in the neighborhood...a Black woman.

http://i.imgur.com/vCAMoZs.jpg

Also relevant:

http://legalinsurrection.com/2015/06/video-analysis-mckinney-brawl-another-rush-to-misjudgment/#more-130115

Those who were not invited guests were rightfully denied access by the pool management, and many of these refused to comply with this lawful denial of access.

Of those denied access, some number began to scale the fence surrounding the pool, thus affirmatively becoming illegal trespassers subject to arrest.

Combine that existing violent environment with scores of trespassers who refused to comply with even the simplest police orders, such as to disperse or sit down, and the potential for a tragic loss of innocent live becomes evident.

Bryan Gestner, quoted extensively in the Breitbart piece (my source for this quote) as a witness of the events, posted to Facebook:

This was a Twitter party that turned into a mob event. Jumping pool fence. Assaulting 2 security guards, attacking a mother with three little girls. The video doesn’t show everything. This isn’t about race. This is about outside kids invading our neighborhood and had no respect for authority or the residents here. I have a target on my back now and I have been threatened by these punks that they are gonna shoot up my house when all I did was try to control the mob and actually tended to the girl and the boy that had a bloody lip. Yall don’t know the whole story. I commend the officer for handling this situation.

Gestner also reports that the the purported children at the purported pool party were drinking alcohol and “smoking weed,” and also that some of the mob returned to McKinney the following night (Saturday), at which time they were “kicking in people’s front door, stole a truck and crashed it into many vehicles. They vandalized dozens of cars and were stealing things.”

So, that’s some of the context into which the police found themselves immersed when they were dispatched to the scene in response to resident 911 calls.

Doesn’t much sound like simply some children having a pool party, does it?

Which is really the point I want to drive home: the power of the situation. To use your analogy, let's say I avoid eye contact when I'm in a situation that makes me nervous/uncomfortable, but make eye contact in the absence of those situations. You wouldn't say I have Asperger's because that lack of eye contact needs to be present across situations, and that, my friend, is a pretty sweeping analogy. You're essentially saying that everything committed by white people against black people is done on the basis of race and race alone, which I think is pretty short-sighted. Might there be bad eggs in the police department who abuse their power? Without a doubt. Heck, there are even whole towns who subtlety discriminate and disadvantage black people. But to say that this is the case whenever a black person meets an unfortunate situation completely disregards any situational component necessary in understanding human behavior.

I'm growing sick of us trying to solve problems that aren't there. Racism is a problem and rears its ugly head on a daily basis. But not every scenario includes a racial component, even if it involves people of two different ethnicities. We will never solve a problem until we fully understand said problem, and crying racism whenever something bad happens with two people of different ethnicities only blocks of from fully comprehending the racism problem in America.

Where the analogy falls short is in trying to document and show how racism as a power can permeate and exist above individual situations where people might not actually be "acting racist".

What I am not saying is that everything committed by white people against black people is done on the basis of race.

What I am, in fact, saying, is that every black person has experienced things committed against them by white people on the basis of race, and even if they haven't explicitly they still live in a society that affects them adversely in some way(s) because of their race. This has been statistically proven every which way you could possibly hope for, and too many people (not saying you are one of them) are still somehow denying that it's true.

My point is...even if this situation isn't heavily hinged on anything to do with race, it's disturbing and not helpful that so many people are immediately trying to go to actual conscious effort to declare that race doesn't have anything to do with it. Is that true? It could be. But if race doesn't have anything to do with it, it's not a problem. If race DOES have something to do with it, which is very likely, racial tension and inequality is a big problem so I don't see why we would not want to err on the side of perception that gives the benefit of the doubt to people being wronged in a bullsh#t way.

Where the analogy falls short is in trying to document and show how racism as a power can permeate and exist above individual situations where people might not actually be "acting racist".

What I am not saying is that everything committed by white people against black people is done on the basis of race.

What I am, in fact, saying, is that every black person has experienced things committed against them by white people on the basis of race, and even if they haven't explicitly they still live in a society that affects them adversely in some way(s) because of their race. This has been statistically proven every which way you could possibly hope for, and too many people (not saying you are one of them) are still somehow denying that it's true.

My point is...even if this situation isn't heavily hinged on anything to do with race, it's disturbing and not helpful that so many people are immediately trying to go to actual conscious effort to declare that race doesn't have anything to do with it. Is that true? It could be. But if race doesn't have anything to do with it, it's not a problem. If race DOES have something to do with it, which is very likely, racial tension and inequality is a big problem so I don't see why we would not want to err on the side of perception that gives the benefit of the doubt to people being wronged in a bullsh#t way.

As per usual, you continue to bury your head in the sand when presented with facts that show that there is MUCH more to the story. Why do you default to claim that it is "very likely" that race has something to do with this situation? 200 Anglo-Saxon people show up at any neighborhood pool, drink underage, do illegal drugs, and harass HOA-paying residents, cops are going to be called. If people are resisting the cops, the cops are going to even the odds (like they did here, being vastly outnumbered).

So who do you blame here?

The homeowners who don't want a bunch of strange (by that I mean not from the neighborhood)) kids crashing their community pool and acting inappropriately?

Police who, upon confronting the 200-person group notices people running (why run if no wrong is being done?), failing to disperse, disobeying lawful orders, resisting arrest, and being confrontational? Sure, just be nice and assume that nobody in a 200-person group (the group who crashed a community pool and decided to commence in illegal activity) will give ANY trouble to legal authority. That SHOULD work!

Maybe the people acting inappropriately? Wait...that would make too much sense.

I'll tell you what, though, keep ragging on the police. Cops don't want to feel the heat and will act accordingly. Look at violent crime in Baltimore over the past few weeks. Cops don't want to take any chances. When people begin to feel that cops won't protect them, they'll take matters into their own hands. How do you think the situation would have gone down if the homeowners were armed and felt like police wouldn't show up? Wait...don't answer that. THAT would actually be a tragic situation and is something I would NEVER want to have to read about.

I guess you could just get your wish and get a nationalized police force. It would be GREAT! It could be like "Minority Report"...prosecuting uncommited crimes. Prosecuting THOUGHT CRIMES!!! Total police state. Sounds fun!

• Fire 4

White guilt much? I mean seriously man, the kids were illegally there. Who gives a crap what their skin color happened to be?