Dylann Roof, South Carolina Church Shooting

This is sh**ty.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20150618/PC16/150619374?fb_action_ids=867660820468&fb_action_types=og.likes

Despite mourning, statehouse Confederate battle flag remains at full staff

he Confederate flag flying at the Statehouse in Columbia became part of the Charleston church shooting story Thursday after the U.S. and South Carolina flags were lowered in mourning but the rebel banner was left flying at its full height.

State Sen. Clementa Pinckney, a black Democratic lawmaker and minister, was among the nine people killed by a lone gunman accused of committing a hate crime. The suspect, Dylann Roof, 21, also displayed Confederate sympathies in some social media photographs.
Internet chatter lit up about the debate Thursday.
“When you fly the Confederate flag in your state capital you are sanctioning this terrorism. Just FYI,” Roxane Gay said on Twitter.

^^^

Of course, let's not focus on the real issues at hand here. A crazy, racist, jerk who decides to carry out a deplorable act. Let's switch focus and use the deplorable act as a platform to advocate/politck for something completely unrelated...in the words of you...wow....just wow...

Why not focus on why this would happen and try to prevent future events of this nature? Find out why people hate like this? Hate certain people like this? Something productive.

Shameful....shameful.

• Fire 3

http://mic.com/articles/120967/the-9-people-you-should-be-talking-about-instead-of-dylann-roof?fb_action_ids=10206844462492824&fb_action_types=og.shares

These Are the 9 Men and Women Tragically Murdered by the Charleston Shooter

Throughout Thursday, media attention was transfixed by Dylann Roof, the suspected shooter in the recent massacre at a black church in Charleston, South Carolina. At the same time, however, comparatively few media reports are devoting much attention to the victims. Even more than 12 hours after the incident, relatively little is known and even reliable photographs of each individual killed have been difficult to locate.

Throughout the country, vigils were held to commemorate the dead and to honor the lives they had lived. Below are the nine ordinary people taken from the world before their time.

1. Rev. Clementa Pinckney, 41

The 41-year-old pastor and South Carolina state senator was the most publicly known victim of Wednesday night's shooting. Previously, Pinckney had been well-known as a community activist and supported legislation requiring police to wear body cameras. The senator also served on the Southern Mutual Insurance Company's board of directors. He leaves behind a wife and two children, according to an official government website.

2. Cynthia Hurd, 54

According to her employer, the Charleston County Public Library, Cynthia Hurd "dedicated her life to serving and improving the lives of others." Photos of Hurd smiling can be seen on the library's Flickr page. In honor of her death and 31 years of service, the library announced it would close all its branches Thursday. "Her loss is incomprehensible," the CCPL said, Buzzfeed reported.

3. Sharonda Coleman-Singleton, 45

Pinckney wasn't the only religious leader taken in Wednesday's massacre. Another reverend at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church, Sharonda Coleman-Singleton was also a local high school track coach and a mother of three.

4. Tywanza Sanders, 26

The banner of Tywanza Sanders' Facebook page reads "your dreams are calling you." For him, that meant a degree from Allen University in Columbia, South Carolina, in their Division of Business Administration in 2014. Sanders, who friends suggested was shy, had expressed an interest in broadcasting.

5. Myra Thompson, 59

Myra Thompson was the wife of another religious figure, Rev. Anthony Thompson, the vicar of Holy Trinity Reformed Episcopal Church in Charleston.

6. Ethel Lee Lance, 70

Ethel Lee Lance was a grandmother and sexton at Emanuel AME when her life was taken. Her grandson Jon Quil Lance told the Post and Courier, "Granny was the heart of the family," and added she had worked in the church for more than three decades.

7. Susie Jackson, 87

Another grandmother, Susie Jackson was also a longtime member of Emanuel AME and was identified as a victim by a relative. She was also Lance's cousin, according to the Post and Courier.

8. Daniel L. Simmons, 74

The only victim who did not die at the church, 74-year-old Daniel Simmons succumbed to his injuries at a local hospital, authorities said at a press conference Thursday. Simmons, a retired pastor from another church, regularly attended Wednesday Bible study services at Emanuel AME and June 17, 2015 was, tragically, no exception, ABC News reported.

9. Depayne Middleton Doctor, 49

According to her LinkedIn profile, Doctor worked as a former manager of the U.S. Department of Commerce and graduated from Southern Wesleyan University with a Master's degree, Organizational Management.

^^^

Of course, let's not focus on the real issues at hand here. A crazy, racist, jerk who decides to carry out a deplorable act. Let's switch focus and use the deplorable act as a platform to advocate/politck for something completely unrelated...in the words of you...wow....just wow...

Why not focus on why this would happen and try to prevent future events of this nature? Find out why people hate like this? Hate certain people like this? Something productive.

Shameful....shameful.

I don't know, maybe a young man who grows up seeing this flag flown with "pride" might just feel a little empowerment to start a delusional civil war. Maybe a group of people (blacks) may feel a little second class when they see the state fly a flag that represents a group of rebels that took up arms against the USA to have the "right" to own slaves as they wish. Maybe, just maybe, it does add to the hate and relevant to the conversation...

• Fire 1

Sure. It's cute that you like emojis, but please enlighten us with your knowledge of the state's political history. It has to be very regressive, right? That the sitting governor is a minority female, right? When did our "fun" state have such an arrangement?

I will respond once. I don't want to derail the conversation from the discussion related to the victims of this horrible tragedy.

• Fire 1

http://mic.com/articles/120967/the-9-people-you-should-be-talking-about-instead-of-dylann-roof?fb_action_ids=10206844462492824&fb_action_types=og.shares

These Are the 9 Men and Women Tragically Murdered by the Charleston Shooter

Throughout Thursday, media attention was transfixed by Dylann Roof, the suspected shooter in the recent massacre at a black church in Charleston, South Carolina. At the same time, however, comparatively few media reports are devoting much attention to the victims. Even more than 12 hours after the incident, relatively little is known and even reliable photographs of each individual killed have been difficult to locate.

Throughout the country, vigils were held to commemorate the dead and to honor the lives they had lived. Below are the nine ordinary people taken from the world before their time.

1. Rev. Clementa Pinckney, 41

The 41-year-old pastor and South Carolina state senator was the most publicly known victim of Wednesday night's shooting. Previously, Pinckney had been well-known as a community activist and supported legislation requiring police to wear body cameras. The senator also served on the Southern Mutual Insurance Company's board of directors. He leaves behind a wife and two children, according to an official government website.

2. Cynthia Hurd, 54

According to her employer, the Charleston County Public Library, Cynthia Hurd "dedicated her life to serving and improving the lives of others." Photos of Hurd smiling can be seen on the library's Flickr page. In honor of her death and 31 years of service, the library announced it would close all its branches Thursday. "Her loss is incomprehensible," the CCPL said, Buzzfeed reported.

3. Sharonda Coleman-Singleton, 45

Pinckney wasn't the only religious leader taken in Wednesday's massacre. Another reverend at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church, Sharonda Coleman-Singleton was also a local high school track coach and a mother of three.

4. Tywanza Sanders, 26

The banner of Tywanza Sanders' Facebook page reads "your dreams are calling you." For him, that meant a degree from Allen University in Columbia, South Carolina, in their Division of Business Administration in 2014. Sanders, who friends suggested was shy, had expressed an interest in broadcasting.

5. Myra Thompson, 59

Myra Thompson was the wife of another religious figure, Rev. Anthony Thompson, the vicar of Holy Trinity Reformed Episcopal Church in Charleston.

6. Ethel Lee Lance, 70

Ethel Lee Lance was a grandmother and sexton at Emanuel AME when her life was taken. Her grandson Jon Quil Lance told the Post and Courier, "Granny was the heart of the family," and added she had worked in the church for more than three decades.

7. Susie Jackson, 87

Another grandmother, Susie Jackson was also a longtime member of Emanuel AME and was identified as a victim by a relative. She was also Lance's cousin, according to the Post and Courier.

8. Daniel L. Simmons, 74

The only victim who did not die at the church, 74-year-old Daniel Simmons succumbed to his injuries at a local hospital, authorities said at a press conference Thursday. Simmons, a retired pastor from another church, regularly attended Wednesday Bible study services at Emanuel AME and June 17, 2015 was, tragically, no exception, ABC News reported.

9. Depayne Middleton Doctor, 49

According to her LinkedIn profile, Doctor worked as a former manager of the U.S. Department of Commerce and graduated from Southern Wesleyan University with a Master's degree, Organizational Management.

Average age 56, majority female - he's a real piece of crap. I say tatoo a cross on his head and drop him into the middle of ISIS territory. Armed or un-armed, what ever.

Sure. It's cute that you like emojis, but please enlighten us with your knowledge of the state's political history. It has to be very regressive, right? That the sitting governor is a minority female, right? When did our "fun" state have such an arrangement?

I will respond once. I don't want to derail the conversation from the discussion related to the victims of this horrible tragedy.

The governers of South Carolina and Nebraska have zero to do with this situation, since we are staying on task and all. In your post you specifically said what things can cause a person to hate like this? And discounted the flying of the confederate flag. I responded that the flag, may in some small way add to the hate in some people, black or white. The flag stands for many things for many people, but I have never heard a person say it stands for "equality and gumdrops". Don't worry, I'm done too. :)

• Fire 1

I was watching one reporter on a national network do a Q&A with an anchor, and the anchor asked him to describe the emotions and the energy surrounding Charleston right now.

I'm paraphrasing, but the reporter said the best way to describe the situation is by looking at the flags in the state. He said the American flag is at half staff, the flag of the great state of South Carolina is at half staff, yet the flag of the Confederacy is being flown at full mast.

There's no denying the racial problems in our country have been masked and mocked by those who wish to ignore they still exist, especially in places like the South. What happened isn't tragic - it's downright abominable. My heart goes out to these victims and their families - I can't even imagine what they're going through, but I've seen such bravery by some of the families to forgive this guy. I don't know if I'd have it in me. During times like this, as deplorable as his actions are, it's also truly uplifting to see the human spirit come through in the form of forgiveness.

I wish there was an easy fix so things like this wouldn't happen. I wish we could forget this guy exists - only focus on the victims and focus on trying to repair some of the problems in our country. We have a mass murder and flat out murder problem in America. Mental health issues is the easy way out, the scapegoat. This goes far beyond mental health problems.

• Fire 1

Charleston is the Holy city. For those who haven't been/lived there it has a power all its own. I no longer live there, but still call the low country home. It's peopel are as strong as the tides that pull on the shore. They'll get through this. That church right now is a living testament to the Truth and Grace of Jesus Christ. No way to explain their response. That's true Christianity. Not the devisive stuff shown by the media, or the bigotry shown by by some, but the in dwelling of the Holy Spirit.

Praying for those whose lives have been torn apart. The politics of the flag in SC is nothing new. It has been going on for years.

Here is a great write up.

[url=http://blogs.wsj.com/peggynoonan/2015/06/19/a-bow-to-charleston/]http://blogs.wsj.com/peggynoonan/2015/06/19/a-bow-to-charleston

• Fire 2