Big12 Expansion?

nic

KU/OU sounds like its more real than I thought. Would they test the GOR?

Depends on what Texas does in retaliation. If they are determined to keep the Big 12 around, yes. If they know the leaks in the ship are bigger than the plugs they could use to fill them and they too search for a lofeboat, GOR wont be an issue if the league sinks.

Also, since I mentioned FrankTheTank (who was at the forefront of some of the most accurate realignment conjecture out there, including building the case for why it was going to be Nebraska, and not Mizzery, getting a B1G nod back in 2010), here's some more articles and insight from his latest piece (July 29):

Included in the piece is *another* OU Beat Writer Tramel love note to the B1G, courtesy the ESPN garbage that suggested DoNU would want to go back to the Big XII. Of note:

Academic standing does a play huge role in most conference realignment. I know that when OU and OSU were considering jumping to the Pac-12, the academic side of OU (and I assume OSU) was thrilled at the prospect of joining a conference that included the likes of Stanford and Cal-Berkeley.

I would have liked to read more about Nebraska and the AAU, which unceremoniously kicked out Nebraska from the association in 2011. Some speculate that the Big Ten would not have invited Nebraska without its standing in the AAU. I know that one of Boren’s long-term goals is to get OU admitted to the AAU.

The FtT article has tweets from Dick Weiss regarding the Fox Sports column supporting the notion of KU and OU moving to the B1G, but then clarifies that it's a column, and not indicative of Fox Sports itself (read: CYA).

Just remember that Fox Sports is a majority shareholder in the Big Ten Network, has the Big Ten Title Game, and is rumored to be aggressively going after Tier 1 games to minimize or lock ESPN out of B1G content (especially since Fox wants to push most to all of the Tier 2 content to the Big Ten Network, where there's a better return, fiscally speaking.)

And FtT also addresses that this recent blitz isn't just PR by OU to force the Big XII to act:

David Boren’s comments about wanting Big 12 expansion with the “right schools” was more of a warning shot to the rest of the league because, frankly, the “right schools” wouldn’t ever take a Big 12 invite.

If I were running the Big Ten, it’s time to take advantage of one of those rare moments where a national football brand name is essentially begging for offers. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again: if we assume that Texas, Notre Dame and ACC schools are off the table, then the single most valuable expansion that the Big Ten can have at this point is adding Oklahoma and Kansas.

Also, one more important point that is brought up in the comments section of this article. Kansas has been riding shotgun in at least 90% of the scenarios presented for realignment. We've heard from Oklahoma (directly via AD and indirectly), as well as Texass (indirectly)...so for Kansas to be eerily silent on this is rather suggestive.

Perhaps Kansas is farther along in the process than OU/UT (e.g. agreement in principle?, NDA?) and are merely silent until they figure out who their moving buddy is...

I still wouldn't count out Mizzou if OU falls through. They have been holding their own in the SEC athletically but their top brass would still rather be in the B1G.

OU fans are worried about Okie lite getting an invite to the SEC and pulling an "A&M" if the Sooners go to the Big Ten.

I think the SEC is looking eastward for targets. They still have two big population states in Dixieland that are exclusively ACC.

The only reason OU fans are worried about Okie Lite is because there's a sizable contingent that thinks Oklahoma going to the SEC would be the best thing for them...even though they'd likely end up in the SEC West.

Fortunately, the brass in charge of OU aren't ones that bend to the wills of boosters and fans, and the brass know a move to the B1G would be more lucrative for both their Academics and Athletics Programs. You don't get that bump in both areas going to the SEC...hell, you'd probably see regression in the Academic side of things going to the SEC.

I still wouldn't count out Mizzou if OU falls through. They have been holding their own in the SEC athletically but their top brass would still rather be in the B1G.

Possibly...but that's not really a great consolation prize for losing Oklahoma though. I could see the B1G going East instead to pair someone up with Kansas.

Mizzou admin and their fans would prefer the Big Ten. But will their pride be ok with it? All hypothetical until Delaney decides if he wants them in.

I'd think a Midwestern school with its rivals in the Big Ten West(potentially Kansas, Nebraska, Illinois, Iowa) and no division school more than 7 1/2 hours away from campus would prefer that set up then being thrown in the SEC EAST with schools on the opposite side of the world in Columbia, SC , Knoxville, and Gainesville.

Mizzou admin and their fans would prefer the Big Ten. But will their pride be ok with it? All hypothetical until Delaney decides if he wants them in.

I'd think a Midwestern school with its rivals in the Big Ten West(potentially Kansas, Nebraska, Illinois, Iowa) and no division school more than 7 1/2 hours away from campus would prefer that set up then being thrown in the SEC EAST with schools on the opposite side of the world in Columbia, SC , Knoxville, and Gainesville.

True, but the SEC East is decidedly weaker than the B1G West...AMIRITE? :ahhhhhhhh

Seriously, though, I think the B1G would make one more pass at Texass before trying to pluck Mizzery out of the SEC. Though the lack of a GOR in the SEC does make going with Mizzery a bit easier...

OU fans are worried about Okie lite getting an invite to the SEC and pulling an "A&M" if the Sooners go to the Big Ten.

I think the SEC is looking eastward for targets. They still have two big population states in Dixieland that are exclusively ACC.

As for Okie Lite doing their own thing...good, let them. Frankly, they hold the political cards in this mess, unfortunately, but if they can find a good home for their program, then it makes it all the more easier for Oklahoma to cut bait with the Big XII and move on to another home.

Small sample size but from what I have seen from Missouri posters on football forums is they would not want to leave the SEC for the B1G. A. Money B. Money C. Football Competition D. Pride

So what's everyone's prediction on when any movement is announced: End of year, 12 months, 18 months, 8 years?

Small sample size but from what I have seen from Missouri posters on football forums is they would not want to leave the SEC for the B1G. A. Money B. Money C. Football Competition D. Pride

So what's everyone's prediction on when any movement is announced: End of year, 12 months, 18 months, 8 years?

I expect to hear some rumblings by the end of the year in regards to KU and or OU leaving. If the Big 12 has any intention of sticking together at this point, they will be verbal about expansion in the next couple of weeks.

We'll hear something as soon as someone starts the machinations to kill off GORs. Sooner rather than later, pun unintended.

• Fire 1

Grant of Rights. Basically its a way to kill expansion, but if a team wanted out badly enough they could do it, it would just end up costing them.

Though we don't know what that cost would be, since no one has challenged them yet, and potential damages would be hard for the conference being left to establish if their media contracts continue to pay the same amount, regardless of the number of teams.