Johnny Stanton leaving the Huskers

For those who thought Stanton was the man, was in the mix, was going to play

You were wrong

Very evident by his lack of mention this spring and his poor play in spring game

Lack of accuracy is not easy to fix

Did you know he was a bust from the beginning or what
I said here several times that he had accuracy issues, which are the most difficult to fix

I also said since he didn't get in at the Spring game until very late and when he did he looked bad meant he wouldn't be playing QB here at NU

Several disagreed with that and said all it was going to take was some QB whispering- that his Elite 11 pedigree proved he deserved a shot etc

I countered that Harrison Becks QB camp ratings didn't mean much either and that JS wouldn't be taking any QB snaps at NU

Long term- Riley will not value or chase down QBs who run well and don't have consistently accurate arms

From what I saw he was definitely behind TA, Darlington and Broekemeier. Broekemeier is a much better QB than most are giving credit, he's no Matt Turman, kid can play.

Im not impressed with Bush (his tilt on the ball is awkward) or Fyfe, but even at that, being 4th best and not making the 105- he was done a long time ago.

Oh so you thought he was a bust in April when four other QBs played in front of him. Wow how observant you are. There's no way you thought he was going to be a bust when he was first recruited.
He was a bust when he wasn't even close to catching Fyfe for #2 last year

When Riley was named coach and I knew the offense he wanted to run- Stanton wasn't a fit, so last year it was a forgone conclusion

He wasn't going to be a "bust" if the type of O we were running favored an athlete playing QB like TM or Stanton. But he couldn't even elevate on the charts for that- let along a Pro Style O.

BTW LOTS of guys were still on the Stanton bandwagon- just a couple of weeks ago right here on this forum- "he is an elite 11 guy, all he needs is some more good QB coaching- the QB whisperer can make him into something". I said it was never going to happen, people disagreed

Those people were wrong

Just curious. If you know the style of offense Mike Riley runs, why did Riley and his staff put the full court press on Stanton when recruiting him coming out of HS????

MR has always run a Pro Style offense, at every stop he's coached at. Thats what he knows and believes in-That's not debateable

They don't hit on every recruit- and they do recruit Cali very hard. A .500 program isn't hitting on every recruit- that's what OSU was under Riley.

He was on their radar- based on the location and the fact he attended camps/put up some numbers

He had the size they like but his accuracy issues meant he wasn't destined to start in DI for anyone running an offense that required a pretty good passing game

Pretty sure I know how recruiting works there Sherlock, you still sidestepped answering the question and dug a deeper hole by saying his accuracy issues would never allow him to play D1. So again if this was true way back when, why did Riley and OSU go all out to recruit him????

• Fire 1

He had the size they like but his accuracy issues meant he wasn't destined to start in DI for anyone running an offense that required a pretty good passing game

Destiny aside, what are you basing this claim off of? Stanton had division one scholarship offers from Cal (passed 55 percent of the time in 2014), Oregon (passed 42 percent of the time), Oregon State (passed 56 percent of the time) and Washington (passes 40 percent of the time), among others.

Clearly, two pass favoring teams (Cal/OSU) were interested in him. And the other teams, though many favor the run, would probably have asked him to throw 20-25 times a game like Nebraska would.

I would qualify a lot of his offers as teams that ask their QB to be a "pretty good" passer.

• Fire 1

Destiny aside, what are you basing this claim off of? Stanton had division one scholarship offers from Cal (passed 55 percent of the time in 2014), Oregon (passed 42 percent of the time), Oregon State (passed 56 percent of the time) and Washington (passes 40 percent of the time), among others.

Clearly, two pass favoring teams (Cal/OSU) were interested in him. And the other teams, though many favor the run, would probably have asked him to throw 20-25 times a game like Nebraska would.

I would qualify a lot of his offers as teams that ask their QB to be a "pretty good" passer.

All fools. They should have asked jmfb, he could have told them he was terrible.

• Fire 1

Harrison Beck was what a 5 star kid- and he didnt pan out to be much of a DI QB

It Happens

It happened to Stanton as well- he will not be starting at QB for a team that throws the ball a bunch in DI- take that to the bank

It Happens

It happened to Stanton as well- he will not be starting at QB for a team that throws the ball a bunch in DI- take that to the bank

Your right the fact that he or any number of 4*/5* show they don't have it at the D1 level is a fact of life. It happens, but you act like you were predicting it all along. The first time I really knew he wasn't going to be a QB at Nebraska was this year's spring game. I didn't know before that.

It Happens

You didn't answer the question, jmfb. I asked what you're basing the claim off of and all you said is he's not a starting QB for a team that throws the ball a bunch.

If it's your opinion and you have nothing to support it with other than your perception, fine. But, don't act like you saw something these schools didn't. Quite clearly, I've provided quantifiable evidence that some schools, including schools that pass the ball "a bunch", wanted him to come play for them.

• Fire 1

If anyone thought Stanton had a chance to be starting quarterback at Nebraska three weeks ago, he's being way too nice and/or not paying attention.

If anyone here wants to be hailed for his football insight, find me a post that predates Riley's depth chart for the Spring Game in which the poster questions Johnny Stanton's passing accuracy and doubts his chances of ever starting at Nebraska --- or any other D1 school.

• Fire 1

If anyone thought Stanton had a chance to be starting quarterback at Nebraska three weeks ago, he's being way too nice and/or not paying attention.

If anyone here wants to be hailed for his football insight, find me a post that predates Riley's depth chart for the Spring Game in which the poster questions Johnny Stanton's passing accuracy and doubts his chances of ever starting at Nebraska --- or any other D1 school.

I don't want to toot my own horn here (just kidding, yeah I totally do... But I'll limit it because I've been wrong on soooo many more things...) but I did say this back in February... PAT ME ON THE BACK EVERYONE!

I can never understand why some of you guys like Stanton so much? I get it, he's not TA, but that's not enough. We're talking about a guy who couldn't beat some scrawny walk-on kid from Grand Island for the back-up role. There's obviously some sort of issues with him. I don't know what it is, and neither do the majority of us, but the fact that with a game on the line against MSU, we see Fyfe go into the game. That speaks volumes to me.

Now suddenly a kid who couldn't beat a kid from Grand Island is going to beat TA out for the starting job in a new offense? Despite all facts that TA has seen real time action against defenses he will go against next year?

I'm not seeing it.

Don't get me wrong. If he is better than TA on all aspects of the game and can play beyond the level that TA can. That's flippin' great! It really is, because it's not like TA is some Joe Dailey here. He's very productive, and has proven that in games. He's definitely been far from the reason we lost any of our games. So if Stanton is better than that, than damn, that's a great QB. However, I'm not seeing this mad jump from 3rd string behind a walk-on to starter. Chastise me all you want, but I'm just not.

43d80b24-a2ec-4405-9227-c5f06295307e.gif

• Fire 1