Gay marriage legal in all 50 states

This has absolutely NOTHING do to if you think it's a sin or not. Absolutely nothing.

I might think it is a huge sin. But, the Government isn't here to make everything I think is a sin illegal.

And, on top of that, even if you think it's a sin and you think the Government is here to make it illegal, how in the hell are you going to patrol if two people of the same sex are having sex? This entire issue is absolutely absurd and it's ridiculous the amount of time that has been spent and venom going both ways (mostly from one) over something none of us have any control over.

I don't think it is a sin. I know it's a sin.

And, like I said before, the government is NOT a christian government so I understand that they are not here to enforce such things. However this begins the very slippery slope of pushing God out of our country, and THAT is the part that I am concerned about.

As a Christian, I am so tired of Christians feeling this way. This decision means absolutely nothing as it pertains to your's or my religion and how we can practice our religion.

Do you honestly think there weren't gay people having sex before this decision? Do you really think that now there will be MORE sin in this world??

I know Christians value the sanctity of marriage so much that many do it 2-3 times. But....good Lord....

There used to be LOTS of people who thought it was a sin for a black man to marry a white woman. As that has happened more, has this pushed God out of our country?

Christians need to stop pointing fingers and claiming everyone else is a sinner and start working to live OUR lives as good examples. And, that being a "good example" doesn't mean being judgmental about everyone else.

It's not that it wasn't being done, and no I don't think it will result is "MORE sin". It's just like if weed were legal, it's not going to start some culture shock where everyone starts smoking weed. It doesn't mean that it wasn't done before.

For the record, being judgmental is NOT me saying "Homosexuality is a sin". That is a fact from GOD. Me being judgmental is looking at someone by how they act and assuming or thinking they might be gay and trying to affirm that to others without even knowing.

Good lord is right, some people need to realize what actual judgment is.

Smoking weed is a choice. Being gay is not. Im not gonna just wake up one day and be like I think i wanna have gay sex today. Talk to any gay/lesbian they will tell you they were attracted to the same sex at an early age. I used to work at a daycare and there was a fifth grader there that loved playing with dolls and talked/walked in a very feminine way. I said to some coworkers at the time he will grow up to be gay. You could just tell. Guess what happened...

• Fire 1

This has absolutely NOTHING do to if you think it's a sin or not. Absolutely nothing.

I might think it is a huge sin. But, the Government isn't here to make everything I think is a sin illegal.

And, on top of that, even if you think it's a sin and you think the Government is here to make it illegal, how in the hell are you going to patrol if two people of the same sex are having sex? This entire issue is absolutely absurd and it's ridiculous the amount of time that has been spent and venom going both ways (mostly from one) over something none of us have any control over.

And, like I said before, the government is NOT a christian government so I understand that they are not here to enforce such things. However this begins the very slippery slope of pushing God out of our country, and THAT is the part that I am concerned about.

As a Christian, I am so tired of Christians feeling this way. This decision means absolutely nothing as it pertains to your's or my religion and how we can practice our religion.

Do you honestly think there weren't gay people having sex before this decision? Do you really think that now there will be MORE sin in this world??

I know Christians value the sanctity of marriage so much that many do it 2-3 times. But....good Lord....

There used to be LOTS of people who thought it was a sin for a black man to marry a white woman. As that has happened more, has this pushed God out of our country?

Christians need to stop pointing fingers and claiming everyone else is a sinner and start working to live OUR lives as good examples. And, that being a "good example" doesn't mean being judgmental about everyone else.

It's not that it wasn't being done, and no I don't think it will result is "MORE sin". It's just like if weed were legal, it's not going to start some culture shock where everyone starts smoking weed. It doesn't mean that it wasn't done before.

For the record, being judgmental is NOT me saying "Homosexuality is a sin". That is a fact from GOD. Me being judgmental is looking at someone by how they act and assuming or thinking they might be gay and trying to affirm that to others without even knowing.

Smoking weed is a choice. Being gay is not. Im not gonna just wake up one day and be like I think i wanna have gay sex today. Talk to any gay/lesbian they will tell you they were attracted to the same sex at an early age. I used to work at a daycare and there was a fifth grader there that loved playing with dolls and talked/walked in a very feminine way. I said to some coworkers at the time he will grow up to be gay. You could just tell. Guess what happened...

What about Brittany Griner's (ex)wife? Married into a homosexual relationship, 28 days later. Straight as a board.

Being gay is a choice. How else could homosexual people argue it other than to say "oh I was born that way". We can't definitively know because we can't really know if they are telling the truth.

I had 4-5 people in Kearney at a church confess they didn't turn gay till they were around the age of adolescence. I'm tired of the the "born that way" garbage, maybe some are, but I can't get on board with ALL of them being that way. Too much evidence that shows it's also a choice.

I know a number of gay guys that said they decided to be gay as an adult, like conscious choice--sometimes after being married to a woman and having kids. I know women that became lesbians because they didn't like how males treated them, or women in general--sexism, misogyny--and found it easier/better to love another woman.

I know one gay couple who said it's easier and more fun to be with a guy as women can be a "pain in the ass". So there's that.

I've spent time in the West Village with guys hitting(flirting) on me every other block such that I could see, if I lived continually in that environment, over time, the 'conditioning' might 'take', if you know what I mean.

So, I think it can either be nature or nurture or both. I don't see that it matters any which way you slice it. People are free and it is not up to another faction of people to deny them that freedom, for any reason, period.

Also, too much emphasis it put on the sexual aspect, it's mostly about who you want to have a relationship with.

I used to never think I'd live to see the day of interacial marriages in rural NE, but now they are commonplace.

• Fire 1

Where does it say it's a sin for two people of the same sex to marry? There are references to the sexual acts being a sin, but where does the bible forbid their union? (Honest question, I'm ignorant here) Plenty of straight marrages don't contain sex...

You won't find this in scripture, mostly because, as I understand it, the scriptural position isn't that gay people being married is sin, but that it's not real. Scripture affirms that marriage (take any and all legal slants on the word) is a faith-based covenant between a man and a woman under God as a model of Christ and the church, so scripture would say that gay people being married is fundamentally non-existent.

The graceful yet conservative Christian position, at least I think, would be one that maintains homosexual behavior as sinful by nature of it being sex outside of the confines of marriage, which also leads to a humble admission that the heterosexual Christian is just as guilty of the same type of sinful action and inclination, and also stands firm in not believing that legislation should and is not the tool to prohibit or control sin.

What about Brittany Griner's (ex)wife? Married into a homosexual relationship, 28 days later. Straight as a board.

Being gay is a choice. How else could homosexual people argue it other than to say "oh I was born that way". We can't definitively know because we can't really know if they are telling the truth.

I had 4-5 people in Kearney at a church confess they didn't turn gay till they were around the age of adolescence. I'm tired of the the "born that way" garbage, maybe some are, but I can't get on board with ALL of them being that way. Too much evidence that shows it's also a choice.

Oh, my word. Someone who is gay has as much ability to stop loving their partner and find a person of the opposite sex to love instead, as you have the ability to stop loving your wife and find a man to love instead.

At times like this, I often think about the story of Jesus and the Samaritan woman at the well.

LINK

The woman had been shunned from society because of who she was and everyone in the world was being judgement against her......except Jesus.

Jesus showed her that he still excepts her and loves her.

When I worked in health care in college (30 years ago) I remember a gay person was in ICU. The rule was that only family members could visit. This man's life partner who he had spent years and years with and loved couldn't come see him (as per the rules). There were some in the unit that wanted to abide by that rule. However, the unit manager decided that this should not apply in this situation and the man was able to come in and visit his partner for the last time while he was in his last few days of life.

THESE are the types of situations this decision is about. It's not about if you think them having sex is a sin or not. It's about two people who deeply care about each other being able to experience life and death in the same manner we do with the person we love.

This is just one situation in my life that has taught me a life lesson. Now, what would Jesus do in this situation? Would he be the judgmental "Christian" standing back and shaking his finger at the disgusting gay person claiming they shouldn't have the same rights? OR, would he be the one leading the man into see his loved one for the last time?

This decision is not taking God out of our country and the sooner we all realize that actually the stronger our Christian faith can become.

• Fire 5

So you had 4-5 people at your church confess they knew they were gay at a young age? What person, straight or gay, has sexual urges before adolescence. I dont remember 10 year old me getting uncontrollable boners in the middle of class. I do remember 15 year old me getting uncontrollable boners in class. Why? Bc my body was changing and I was starting to get sexual urges just like all humans do...

And as far as Griners ex wife, just bc u you say your not gay, does not mean you are bot gay. She could be bisexual and be sexually attracted to both sexes. Doesnt mean shes straght as a board

• Fire 2

Understandable. I didn't turn "straight" until adolescence either. Actually thought girls were "icky" up until that point....

• Fire 3

Oh, my word. Someone who is gay has as much ability to stop loving their partner and find a person of the opposite sex to love instead, as you have the ability to stop loving your wife and find a man to love instead.

Wasn't that exactly what I was trying to get across? That it's a choice rather than a burden they live with being born that way?

I think you might be confusing the word choice with the word opportunity. I've known my entire life that I like women. But the opportunities for me to explore that in a super awesome sexual way that left the woman totally unsatisfied every single time didn't happen until much later in life. Just like your friends at church that felt that they chose to be gay might really mean that they never had the opportunity or were scared to be gay until a certain time.

If I was gay, in a place like Kearney, I would freaking pretend like I was straight too.

Choice is way too dismissive and simplistic of a word to ascribe to gay people being gay. I really don't think that's fair.

It's been proven scientifically that it is possible for people to be born towards a specific sexual orientation. So from the get go we already have to acknowledge that for at least some, probably many, there is no choice involved at all. From there, 99% of the rest of gay people who weren't "born this way" are gay as a natural emotional/physical/mental response to their environment and their life experiences, especially early on.

Some people are born extremely violent, others are conditioned towards violence through life. Some people are born with susceptibility towards alcoholism, others are led into it through their unique social pressures. You can come up with so many at least slightly analogous examples of people with certain proclivities that may or may not be healthy, but I for sure do not know any person who decided, "I have made up my mind I am going to be gay/an alcoholic/depressed/a sex addict/whatever."

• Fire 1

The graceful yet conservative Christian position, at least I think, would be one that maintains homosexual behavior as sinful by nature of it being sex outside of the confines of marriage, which also leads to a humble admission that the heterosexual Christian is just as guilty of the same type of sinful action and inclination, and also stands firm in not believing that legislation should and is not the tool to prohibit or control sin.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't find anything graceful or humble about declaring that certain couples can enjoy a Godly, "real" union in love, and others cannot.

I'm sure the gay couple was largely unfathomable to the societies in that area of the world at the time. So this is conservative, yes.

Wasn't that exactly what I was trying to get across? That it's a choice rather than a burden they live with being born that way?

The clear inference there was meant to be: not much ability to do so.

Choice is way too dismissive and simplistic of a word to ascribe to gay people being gay. I really don't think that's fair.

It's been proven scientifically that it is possible for people to be born towards a specific sexual orientation. So from the get go we already have to acknowledge that for at least some, probably many, there is no choice involved at all. From there, 99% of the rest of gay people who weren't "born this way" are gay as a natural emotional/physical/mental response to their environment and their life experiences, especially early on.

Some people are born extremely violent, others are conditioned towards violence through life. Some people are born with susceptibility towards alcoholism, others are led into it through their unique social pressures. You can come up with so many at least slightly analogous examples of people with certain proclivities that may or may not be healthy, but I for sure do not know any person who decided, "I have made up my mind I am going to be gay/an alcoholic/depressed/a sex addict/whatever."

Some like big cans...some like big dumpers...some like tall...some like short. I agree with you. You are hardwired a certain way.

No, you simply saying or believing homosexuality is a sin is not being judgmental. Being judgmental is someone pointing their finger at someone (because they are a homosexual) and claiming THEY are sinners and they shouldn't have all the rights as we "non-sinners" have.