Gay marriage legal in all 50 states

Strange they didn't equate that with a naturally reproductible marriage.

I do know that the Greeks didn't process sexual orientation the same way we do. If I remember correctly from college, the gender of the people taking part in the sexual act didn't matter as much as the age of the participants. For example, most older men 'paired' themselves with young, sometimes prepubescent boys.

Furthermore, the reason a lot of people in this day and age protest homosexuality is because of a book and a religion that developed after the Greeks. Evidence of Greek homosexuality predates Christianity by hundreds of years.

As for all this "if it's chemical then feelings and thoughts mean nothing", I don't know, that seems like something that's up to you to reconcile rather than treat as someone that conflicts with religion.

I think it can be a combination of chemical and spiritual in the same sense religion and science can be paired. Some of the greatest scientists in history, men and women who pioneered experiments and research that helped explain the human body, were deeply religious people.

Ultimately, I agree with you. I think each individual person has to determine if they want to consider a spiritual or powerful entity as having influence on their consciousness. I guess my argument would be I don't think it has to be one or the other.

Interesting thing about this discussion is that in fact it is one or the other. We as living breathing humans don't know what that reality is until ....well....we are dead.

Either we will be in some form of afterlife going...."well, gee wiz" or..........................nothing

What we as humans do is, to the best of our knowledge, guess which it is.

I just disagree with the notion that it is one or the other. We are without question a being based off of chemical reaction, dependent upon environmental and biological factor. Science has shown this in a variety of instances. But, in my opinion, that doesn't mean some type of spiritual entity or "God" didn't play some kind of role in making us what we are.

• Fire 1

Strange they didn't equate that with a naturally reproductible marriage.

I do know that the Greeks didn't process sexual orientation the same way we do. If I remember correctly from college, the gender of the people taking part in the sexual act didn't matter as much as the age of the participants. For example, most older men 'paired' themselves with young, sometimes prepubescent boys.

Furthermore, the reason a lot of people in this day and age protest homosexuality is because of a book and a religion that developed after the Greeks. Evidence of Greek homosexuality predates Christianity by hundreds of years.

True true. the people who whine about a 'bronze age text' ignore that everyone on every continent condemned homosexuality and had basically the same patriarchical families. Only the west, influenced by Greece, have liberal ideas which are now the official ideas.

I just disagree with the notion that it is one or the other. We are without question a being based off of chemical reaction, dependent upon environmental and biological factor. Science has shown this in a variety of instances. But, in my opinion, that doesn't mean some type of spiritual entity or "God" didn't play some kind of role in making us what we are.

I possibly phrased my post wrong.

Yes, we know chemical things happen in our body and that we react to outside influences. Science has taught us that. What we need to guess, is if there is any other higher power involved in our lives. Truth is, it either is or isn't. We just won't know for sure till later.

Or ever -- there's also the possibility that a higher power exists but isn't all that concerned with humans. Or *is*, but doesn't have (or didn't choose for there to be) a way to preserve individuals after biological death.

--

To other points made here: who knew that it was only our bigotry and marginalization of certain groups within us that kept us going all these years? Heh.

I possibly phrased my post wrong.

Yes, we know chemical things happen in our body and that we react to outside influences. Science has taught us that. What we need to guess, is if there is any other higher power involved in our lives. Truth is, it either is or isn't. We just won't know for sure till later.

Well, except for the Holy Spirit. The bible is full of accounts of people being imbued with the Holy Spirit. And it still happens today, according to some. Sure, non-believersand even Christians who've not experienced the Holy Spiritwould say it's not real. They'd probably explain it away as some sort of hypnosis or chemical reaction. But it was very real to the people who experienced it. There were a lot of people in the bible (and probably lots not in the bible) that have been tortured and killed, and yet wouldn't renounce their faithlargely because they had been imbued by the Holy Spirit. So, yes, some people do know for sure.

Just wanted to point out that the Madison County Nebraska courthouse has ceased to perform ALL weddings. Gay or straight. It's not mandatory for a court or judge to partake in this duty.

What a bunch of a$$hole$

http://www.ktiv.com/story/29454174/2015/07/01/northeast-ne-counties-no-longer-conduct-courthouse-weddings

I saw this, too. Disappointing in my opinion. The realization people have to come to is that this is probably how things are going to be forever. Unless I'm mistaken (and feel free to prove me wrong people - I'm not fact checking myself here), there's only two ways to overturn a SCOTUS ruling - a 3/4 majority of state legislatures must vote to overturn (fat chance - most of those states approved gay marriage in the first place) or, another similar case has to come before the SCOTUS allowing them to create a new precedent.

I was not alive during the civil rights movement, but, I'm sure there was a lot of similar resistance to now being required to allow all types of people into establishments, getting rid of segregation, etc. Obviously, things aren't near as good in our country as we'd like to believe they are. My point is that I just hope these resistant people face the truth - this is probably staying forever. You don't have to like it, but, it's not really up to you.

• Fire 2
  • 3 years later...

What am I missing here?

https://news.yahoo.com/alabama-marriage-licenses-212926416.html?ncid=facebook_yahoonewsf_akfmevaatca

There are people on the left that are upset about this.  I understand that the law was created to let bigoted judges "off the hook".  But at the same time it is good for same-sex couples who are now able to married in their home counties without wasting a thought on the judges.  Everyone gets what they want? Right?

34 minutes ago, funhusker said:

What am I missing here?

https://news.yahoo.com/alabama-marriage-licenses-212926416.html?ncid=facebook_yahoonewsf_akfmevaatca

There are people on the left that are upset about this.  I understand that the law was created to let bigoted judges "off the hook".  But at the same time it is good for same-sex couples who are now able to married in their home counties without wasting a thought on the judges.  Everyone gets what they want? Right?

Preferably, the judges would be removed so they can get judges who do their job. 

OTOH, I don't think the government should have anything to do with marriage in the first place. 

7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Preferably, the judges would be removed so they can get judges who do their job. 

OTOH, I don't think the government should have anything to do with marriage in the first place. 

Agree 100%.  I see this as a step in that direction, maybe why I'm not getting bent out of shape over it like some...:dunno

(edit: I should point out that the people I'm seeing upset about this belong to a liberal FB group of Nebraskans.  This isn't something I'm hearing about out in public.  Maybe it really is just a small group of people looking to get upset over something.)

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

From now on, if I ever start to think my life is a little tough, I'm going to try and imagine what it must be like to be gay and live in Alabama.

Or a woman in Alabama.  Or a child of school age in Alabama.  

It's a pathetic state making zero attempts at improving itself.