Riley Shelf Life

I'm not really a hypothetical person......but facts are easily findable. Riley's resume is absolutely questionable at best for a job like Nebraska.

Facts are easily obtained, but questions of Riley's fit as HC at Nebraska are hypothetical no matter how you slice it.

And while previous W/L records are simple and straight-forward, they don't appear to be a good predictor. Hoke had a good record before going to Michigan. RichRod looked good before going to Ann Arbor. And looked bad before getting to Tucson but is doing very well for the Wildcats. Pete Carroll wasn't good for the Patriots but has been exceptional at USC and Seattle. I thought Saban would have done a lot better in the NFL.

There are also lots of W/L records that translated into success as well. Urban at Florida and again at tOSU is probably the best example.

My point is that Riley's W/L record at Oregon St. doesn't mean much to how he'll perform at NU. You can keep presenting it as a fact, but it's not convincing evidence in the discussion of how Riley will perform at NU.

The NFL is a totally different animal= if you want to add the NFL then you have to look at Rileys failure at SD then as well

College football is a much different equation

Rich Rod was sabotaged at Michigan- he would have been successful there had they left him alone

Great book there about it, 3 and out. Friends at Michigan verified, very accurate

Lots of great coaches won at every college stop

Bear Bryant

Urban Meyer

Nick Saban

Lou Holtz

Riley- jury is out

Rich Rod is a College great coach and will have a great career

Past results DO matter

Consistent Results either verify what you are doing makes sense, or they dont

The best are going to win at every stop, no excuses

I bolded the obvious contradiction in your post. So does only the W/L matter, or are excuses/context applicable?

I'm not really a hypothetical person......but facts are easily findable. Riley's resume is absolutely questionable at best for a job like Nebraska.

Facts are easily obtained, but questions of Riley's fit as HC at Nebraska are hypothetical no matter how you slice it.

My point is that Riley's W/L record at Oregon St. doesn't mean much to how he'll perform at NU. You can keep presenting it as a fact, but it's not convincing evidence in the discussion of how Riley will perform at NU.

This is what I was getting at as well.

TheSker, you claim not to be a hypothetical person when I pointed out how I think Bo would've choked even worse than he did here if he was put into a situation like Oregon St.

But when we talk about Mike Riley's time at Oregon St., you want to get hypothetical about how he will do here.

Resume' or not, there is no evidence as to how good a coach Mike Riley is at Nebraska. Aside from a pretty fun spring game and some nice recruting recently. I like his staff he's hired, and I like the things these guys have said. Aside from that we have nothing to judge about his time at Nebraska. Until these guys take the field against BYU, we know nothing.

I understand you prefer to push a discussion toward Pelini, but Pelini has nothing to do with Riley's resume. The coach who would be the best example of being "put into a situation like Oregon St." would be Dennis Erickson......and I'd recommend avoiding that discussion.

A better comparison (arguably) to Riley at NU than Erickson is Bill Snyder returning to KSU... and you should avoid that discussion.

I remain convinced that past performance is not a strong indicator of future results. And a corollary is that every situation is different.

oh. you mean the sun don't shine on the same dogs ass everyday?

And while previous W/L records are simple and straight-forward, they don't appear to be a good predictor. Hoke had a good record before going to Michigan. RichRod looked good before going to Ann Arbor. And looked bad before getting to Tucson but is doing very well for the Wildcats. Pete Carroll wasn't good for the Patriots but has been exceptional at USC and Seattle. I thought Saban would have done a lot better in the NFL.

There are also lots of W/L records that translated into success as well. Urban at Florida and again at tOSU is probably the best example.

The NFL is a totally different animal= if you want to add the NFL then you have to look at Rileys failure at SD then as well

Rich Rod was sabotaged at Michigan- he would have been successful there had they left him alone

Great book there about it, 3 and out. Friends at Michigan verified, very accurate

Bear Bryant

Urban Meyer

Nick Saban

Lou Holtz

Riley- jury is out

Past results DO matter

So Nick Saban won at every stop? You must have forgot his stops at MSU and the Dolphins. And don't use that bullsh#t of " Well he went 9-2 his final year at MSU"

• Fire 1

Bear Bryant

Urban Meyer

Nick Saban

Lou Holtz

Riley- jury is out

Past results DO matter

So Nick Saban won at every stop? You must have forgot his stops at MSU and the Dolphins. And don't use that bullsh#t of " Well he went 9-2 his final year at MSU"

Lou Holtz was fired at from the Patriots after about a 2-12 season. His record at South Carolina though winning, wasn't anything super special.

I will give you the Bear and Urban. There are instances of coaches having success at one place and not another also. Pete Carrol, rich rod as you say, Jackie Sherril, Howard Snellenberger, Bill Belichek, the big tuna, Jimmmy Johnson, heck even Vince lumbardi didn't win everywhere these are just ones off the top of my head.

A better comparison (arguably) to Riley at NU than Erickson is Bill Snyder returning to KSU... and you should avoid that discussion.

Riley has not previously coached at NU, nor has he accomplished what Snyder has at the collegiate level. Erickson did quite well at Oregon State, where every excuse in the book is being made for Riley's lack of performance there. Not even a similar discussion.

Riley has not previously coached at NU

Right. He hasn't. I was really wondering if you had realized this.

every excuse in the book is being made

Who is saying anything about the challenges at Oregon St. that isn't legitimate. The challenges at Oregon St. are real. You can't debate that. Nebraska is head and shoulders a better situation.

for Riley's lack of performance there

Lack of performance? You realize he won a lot of games. He had multiple 9-4 or 8-5 seasons in a conference that has been an elite conference during Riley's entire span at OSU. You're talking about playing Stanford, UCLA, USC, Oregon, and Arizona St. in conference play. He pulled some major upsets on some of those teams as well.

You continuously act like it was ALL bad. There were some bad years and some baffling losses. There was a lot of good years and spectacular wins as well.

• Fire 1

You're talking about playing Stanford, UCLA, USC, Oregon, and Arizona St. in conference play. He pulled some major upsets on some of those teams as well.

You seriously need to look up the records of teams like Stanford and UCLA during the majority of Riley's tenure at Oregon State before tossing the word "elite" around.

You're talking about playing Stanford, UCLA, USC, Oregon, and Arizona St. in conference play. He pulled some major upsets on some of those teams as well.

You seriously need to look up the records of teams like Stanford and UCLA during the majority of Riley's tenure at Oregon State before tossing the word "elite" around.

Yes, they were not very good teams for some of that time. Then, for some of the time they were pretty good teams.

I'm noticing a recurring theme with you. You really like to point out all the bad and ignore any of the good.

Serious question, what would you say was Mike Riley's most impressive win at Oregon St? Maybe name two if you feel adventurous.

Serious question. Did the past staff ever beat a team ranked higher? Can't remember.

I am pretty sure and unranked OSU knocked of a #1 twice. When was the last time a Pelini lead Nebraska was even on the field with a #1?

No one knows how Coach Riley will do. But we have seen improvement in recruiting, coaches enthusiasm. I am hoping we continue to see improvement.

The Sker will be watching Youngstown State for I told you so's I am sure. You know a tick can never let go, just keeps on sucking.

I say a minimum of 5 years, really do not care if we win CC or NC, I just want a team that I can be proud of. Win what we can, but be in the game, stop the Jet sweep on occasion. Have other coaches respect Nebraska, not having them call us a High School team.

My patience with Riley is going to be (unfairly) short unfortunately.

I don't think this is unfair. That's why I'll give him two seasons to win me over. Not that my opinion really matters, LOL!
Just curious what its going to take for Riley to "win you over".

I am already impressed with his professionalism, and I like the staff he brought in, but I really want a championship. Somebody else said this earlier in the thread.....If we win all of the games we should, maybe upset a team we aren't supposed to beat, play tough sound football in our losses and not get blown out, that would be a great start to me. BUT......ultimately I need a conference championship in 2-3 years to be "won over".

Given our unlimited resources, weeker division, rich history, I believe that's doable.

Bo seemed on the cusp, but couldn't get over the hump.

SNB

LSU was the national champion coming into the 2004 season they expected to pummel oregon state at home. OSU came into LSU and lost 22-21. Why is this important? OSU frosh kicker shanked a PAT that would have tied the game. A bad OSU team or thought of as an easy win by many almost beat #1 team in the country. I did not see a competitive game against a team ranked 20th in the country on the road in 2014 for Nebraska. Riley brings these kind of games and I will be happy, if hes at Nebraska he probably beats LSU.

Note the kicker shanked a PAT 3 times, the same guy................

• Fire 1