Riley Shelf Life

Then the blatant misrepresentations:

No one can ever win at Oregon State- it's impossible, but Riley did kinda because he's great. Well Dennis Erickson won in the middle of the Riley tenure at a much better rate than Riley did. That is the inconvenient truth.,

This is a giant load of crap. A complete fabrication. Not one individual has said this, not here and not in your personal life. Ridiculous garbage.

Not true- lots of people have gone off the cliff talking about what a great job Riley did at OSU- I was paraphrasing what they said- that no one won before he got there and its such a terrible place to coach at. The reason he wasnt much more over .500 was because it was such a tough place to coach. That has been a very consistent mantra. Hes great because he's doing OK at a place most guys wouldnt do OK at. We shall see.

Can NU be a 9-10 maybe even 11 win team every once in awhile with this staff? Maybe- he hasnt shown he can do that

No kidding? He hasn't coached a damn game.

He hasnt shown he can consistently do that in the college game- he has a track record anyone can look up.

Can they consistently win- always beating the teams they should beat, not getting tripped up by the likes of MvNeese State, Sac State or Eastern Washington- I dont know, at age 62 he has yet to win a collegiate conference title

You're right. You don't know.

He hasnt shown he can do it, if he does it will be something new. Possible, not probable IMO

There are some promising signs

Well run camps and practices

Some reasonably good, not great recruiting

Great PR- which was to be expected

The honeymoom period is in full bloom

Reasonable roster management

There isnt enough there to make me think these guys are the answer and Im never a fan of the guy who keeps buddies around who are failing ala Callahan or Pelini.

Who is failing?

His assistants the DC for example, Quite a few people in Corvallis were happy to see the DC go. The inside joke was Bankers only supporters- shills were Duck fans pretending to be Beaver fans that wanted Banker to stay on board so the Ducks could continue to score lots of points.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2013/09/oregon_state_insider_beavers_g.html

I like how the Meyers and Sabans go after the best.

You sure about that?

Yes of course. Just look at his Offensive Coordinators alone under Meyer. The previous five have all become head coaches, including Tom Herman, now the University of Houston head coach. Seems like pretty good evidence. That seems like a real high number to me. Are there any other head coaches out there doing better than that in todays game?

Steve Addazio, Boston College (Florida OL/OC under Meyer)

Gary Andersen, Wisconsin (Utah DL under Meyer)

Tim Beckman, Illinois (DC at Bowling Green under Meyer)

Gregg Brandon, Bowling Green, now OC at New Mexico State (OC at Bowling Green under Meyer)

Doc Holliday, Marshall (Safeties coach at Florida under Meyer)

Dan Mullen, Mississippi State (OC at Florida under Meyer)

Mike Sanford, UNLV, now HC at Indiana State (OC at Utah under Meyer)

Charlie Strong, Texas (DC at Florida under Meyer)

Kyle Whittingham, Utah (DC at Utah under Meyer)

Everett Withers, James Madison (DC at Ohio State under Meyer)

Jay Hill, Weber State (GA at Utah under Meyer)

Saban does the same thing- Jimbo Fisher, Mark Dantonio, Will Muschamp, Jim McElwain etc etc

Hire the best assistants and pay them well

Seems to work for both of them

I remember where anyone who was realistic about Bo and pointed out where the cracks were with him, were run out on rails. Funny how that turned out in the end.

Well, let's see, OSU is 64th in recruiting and Nebraska is 22nd.

I'd say Riley is doing pretty well compared to Anderson.

Sure

Lets see who has the biggest improvement this season and next: Riley or Anderson from a wins/losses point differential improvement standpoint

Should be interesting

Serious question. Did the past staff ever beat a team ranked higher? Can't remember.

Sorry - trying to catch up on this thread. Apologies if this has been answered. Using AP Poll:

2009 - NU (unranked) 10, #20 Oklahoma 3

2010 - #14 NU 31, #7 Missouri 17

2011 - #13 NU 24, #9 Michigan State 3; #19 NU 17, #12 Penn State 14

2012 - NU (unranked) 23, #20 Michigan 9

2013 - NU (unranked) 24, #23 Georgia 19 (Outback Bowl)

Oregon scored a lot of points on everybody.

That is true

Lots more to do with the groundswell of support the anti Banker people got, than consistently getting beat by Oregon,

While they had some spotty success against SOME Pro Style teams

They seemed to be fairly consistent at losing to spread teams- even not so great ones

Had to be less than ,500 in conference

That is one reason Im suggesting that no game is an absolute dont bother attending- the subs will be playing by halftime gimmie

Your arguments are laughable at best. Improving on 5 wins to 7 is easier tan improving from 9 to 11.

But, you know that and that's why you are willing to spew your negativism with such a stupid bet.

Ya gotsta git up might early in the mornun to catch jmfBSer tryin to pull one over on ya (with same the same idiotic argument 4 or 5 times in 5 hours).

I reckon yer a smart one aint ya ;)

Your arguments are laughable at best. Improving on 5 wins to 7 is easier tan improving from 9 to 11.

But, you know that and that's why you are willing to spew your negativism with such a stupid bet.

Ya gotsta git up might early in the mornun to catch jmfBSer tryin to pull one over on ya (with same the same idiotic argument 4 or 5 times in 5 hours).

I reckon yer a smart one aint ya ;)

Dont you have a cousin youre supposed to be on a date with right now?

I think Coach has and is restoring the basic character of the :bigredn: on the side of the helmet. At least for me ... I see a good bit of Osborne in his personality and tempermant. Yes, he will need to win but how he will conduct himself will represent Nebraska well. I like what I see so far.

I don't have a time table for him. It seems realistic to know what we have in three years and I would think he gets 4-5 regardless.

I hope he can recruit/coach at QB and at DE/DT well. If so, restoring will come a bit easier/faster.

=====================================================================================================================

I moved a couple of posts to the Offending Posts thread in the Shed. You guys need to tone it down some. You don't need to agree with each other. But try to be halfway civil in your discussions.

=====================================================================================================================

• Fire 3

I moved a couple of posts to the Offending Posts thread in the Shed. You guys need to tone it down some. You don't need to agree with each other. But try to be halfway civil in your discussions.

Ah come on, NUance. You used to be cool. Now you're just one of them. :D