Chances of dropping Adidas after our contract is up?

I thought the NU deal with Adidas runs through 2017-18.

It does, but I think the way these work usually ends up with a new deal being struck in the year before the actual contract ends. Tennessee and Michigan, for example, broke news of signing with Nike a good while ago, and then went through another season wearing Adidas gear.

Yes, I understand that, Dennis Dodd says the Adidas contract has less than a year to run. He's wrong. I agree that negotiations with Adidas, UA, and Nike will probably start within a year, but that's not what Dodd is saying in his tweet.

I thought the NU deal with Adidas runs through 2017-18.

It does, but I think the way these work usually ends up with a new deal being struck in the year before the actual contract ends. Tennessee and Michigan, for example, broke news of signing with Nike a good while ago, and then went through another season wearing Adidas gear.

Yes, I understand that, Dennis Dodd says the Adidas contract has less than a year to run. He's wrong. I agree that negotiations with Adidas, UA, and Nike will probably start within a year, but that's not what Dodd is saying in his tweet.

I think thats what he meant. Or he was misinformed.

^ kind of a misleading title. They experienced more growth recently, because they were so far down, but Nike is still almost 4x as big financially and UA is about even.

Good for them, though, doing better business focusing on running, basketball and casual apparel. Doesn't help Nebraska much.

^ kind of a misleading title. They experienced more growth recently, because they were so far down, but Nike is still almost 4x as big financially and UA is about even.

Good for them, though, doing better business focusing on running, basketball and casual apparel. Doesn't help Nebraska much.

Adidas might be more willing to throw more cash at Nebraska after strong results, so it could help drive up the price for the next uniform and apparel provider at NU.

Adidas might be more willing to throw more cash at Nebraska after strong results, so it could help drive up the price for the next uniform and apparel provider at NU.

Adidas has always offered us the most cash in upping apparel contracts. Plenty of other schools, most, in fact, have found no problem in turning down more money from Adidas for better brand identity from someone else, but thus far our school hasn't seen that as a good decision. I'm not sure why. That will likely continue, especially because they keep losing schools, although I have a sneaking suspicion that UA is going to continue their rounds of ridiculous spending trying to get in with more and more prestigious programs.

The most recent national championship game featured two teams (both Nike schools) that take a very traditional approach to uniforms. Both Alabama and Clemson have bucked the alternate uniform craze. Instead, they pride themselves on uniforms that are consistent with tradition and consistent from week-to-week, both coaches declaring alternate uniforms a “distraction.” They support their approach with on-the-field evidence; the teams are among the five winningest of the last five years (along with FSU, Ohio State, and yes, Oregon). For these schools (and others), tradition is the brand, and apparel companies like Nike and Under Armour capitalize on rather than transform it. Consider this video, released the week following Clemson’s spring game, where the Tigers double-down on their traditional brand by reintroducing uniform elements from their 1981 National Championship season: “The great thing about Clemson,” states a voice over compelling images of star quarterback Deshaun Watson, “you don’t have to start over to achieve greatness. Tradition does it for you.” :

https://businesssideofsports.com/2016/05/23/the-oregon-effect-should-college-football-uniforms-build-brands-or-brand-tradition/

Video:

I love the idea of building your brand on tradition. Something NU should take advantage of. We can go with a popular brand like Nike, Jordan, or UA and still keep our traditional look but with a fresh clean update.

Another interesting article, like it or hate it, its the world we live in today.

Since the explosion of this business within college football, recruit’s opinions about the importance of uniforms have skyrocketed. According to Robby Kalland at CBSsports.com, seventy-two percent of FBS recruits consider uniforms as one of the most important factors in choosing a school. For young men in today’s culture, looking good means playing good. If you look good, then you get more Instagram likes. If you get more Instagram likes you get more fame and recognition. It all goes hand in hand, and colleges understand.

The Ginger Assassin saw his mentor and old boss (Alvarez) take Wisconsin over to Under Armour. I wouldn't be surprised if NU goes to UA or Nike. The only thing that would be if Adidas throws a boat load of money at Nebraska. It looks like Adidas' North America strategy is focusing on basketball and casual shoes and apparel. I have no idea if Adidas is even interested in continuing a relationship with Nebraska.

• 1 month later...

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/how-adidas-stole-nikes-nfl-thunder-in-week-1-163501829.html

But it was Adidas that won the day.

Early in the game, Adidas aired its newest commercial about “creators,” which has been its pro-sports marketing theme for over a year now. The ad had debuted online two days earlier, but the NFL opener was its coming out party, and the reception was loud, and positive.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/shatel-for-nike-s-phil-knight-nebraska-is-one-that/article_c6846546-2ba1-5f0f-b8bc-3e857619627f.html

Interesting read. I wonder how things would've played out through our down years if we were with Nike. I mean, contractually I doubt they could drop us for crapping the bed, but I am assuming the negotiating powers would be less. Then again, if we were first, you'd hope that would hold some sort of clout. Article spins us as Adidas' flagship program, but I'm pretty sure there were teams that were signing better deals with them as of late.

• Fire 1

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/how-adidas-stole-nikes-nfl-thunder-in-week-1-163501829.html

But it was Adidas that won the day.

Early in the game, Adidas aired its newest commercial about “creators,” which has been its pro-sports marketing theme for over a year now. The ad had debuted online two days earlier, but the NFL opener was its coming out party, and the reception was loud, and positive.

I hadn't realized that Von Miller was an Adidas sponsor guy. Good get by them!

Adidas just released its Yeezy cleats last week. Here's Von's pair of Yeezy Boost 750s that he wore last Thursay:

Cr3GABxUMAAt6Sm.jpg