"Guys like myself, that's what we flock to."

To be honest, I think that, to a casual observer, our offense won't look much different than last years. Formations will be similar, we will still run read option plays (though less than last year), and our running game will still be mostly zone. What we will see is an improvement in pass routes. Early on there was some talk of moving to a passing tree. That means about 10 standard routes that are drilled every day, that the WR and QB know like the back of their hands. So fewer 'miscommunications', and even if Tommy isn't right on the money with his throws, it will be enough in the general directions of our talented receivers that they'll be able to adjust and make a grab. I think we will see more passes to and receptions by the TE, especially in red zone situations and as check downs. I expect the running game to struggle a little early as whoever gets the starting spot settles in, but it should be serviceable enough that our offense won't be one dimensional. And, of course, there will be the occasional under center heavy or jumbo set for short yardage, goal line, and the occasional play action situations.

Our defense will look similar enough, as we will still be running primarily as 4-3, nickle and dime formations as needed. Expect cover 2 and cover 4, with the occasional rotation into a cover 3 or cover 6. I expect more zone coverage than man coverage. I expect the front 4 to be much more aggressive, spilling the play to the outside a lot, so expect LBs, CBs, and Safeties to record a lot of tackles in run support. I expect more blitzing in pass situations, especially zone blitzes from the LBs and DBs.

I expect special teams to be more of what we saw last year, and maybe some improvement in field goals and kick returns.

Considering all this, my belief that Tue new staff will fix and improve a lot of the players fundamentals, against the adjustments the players will have to make, and I see 10 or 11 REGULAR SEASON wins.

BYU and Miami will be tough, but winnable. Hill and the BYU offense will really test our defense, but I expect the simpler system which is designed to allow our athletic defensive players to shine will hold them to 28-35 points. BYU always has a solid but rarely exceptional defense, but I expect our improved passing game and zone running to allow us to score enough to win, though the margin is anywhere from 3-10 points. Miami will have some tremendous athletes, and Brad Kaaya WIPO be much improved. I expect them to put up 250+ passing yards on us. Their RB should only be serviceable, and get at most 100ish yards. I see Miami scoring 28-31 points. Tommy will have to be accurate in his passes against Miami's D, because they have some tremendous athletes that can jump routes really well. If we don't turn the ball over more than twice, we should be fine. The big question will be the running game. If Newby or Taylor (depending on who starts) can make one cut in the backfield, hit the most wide open gap, and get 5 yards up field on most running plays, we should be good for 100-120 yards on the ground, and add another 50 from QB scrambles and read options. The O-line will have to do a tremendous job up front, but if they live up to my expectations, we should be fine. We will be at worst 3-1 going into Big 10 play, but I expect 4-0.

The only two games I feel we will lose in the regular season are Wisconsin and MSU.

For Wisconsin, I don't expect their passing game to have improved too much, so 200 yards tops, and that's if our DBs are sleeping. Corey Clement, their RB, is good. He's big, heavy, and fast, but doesn't seem to have the same shake and bake that Gordon had. On the other hand, our D-line and LBs will be much more aggressive, which should limit them to a 4 ypc average. Depending on how well the new staff adjusts to what Wisconsin is doing on O and D, we should win by 10-14 points at best, or lose by 7-10 at worst. There's a lot of unknowns on either side here.

MSU will be a tough one. Their D is always good to exceptional, so it will take either Tommy, our RBs, or both to really step things up to pull off a win. Their O is solid but not exceptional. I see this one being a 3-7 point win or loss, it could go either way. I think it will go to OT. Should be a thriller.

All in all, I expect a 10-2 or 11-1 regular season with a trip to Indy to play against Ohio State. That game, save for a few turnovers going our way and some exceptional play by all phases, should be a 14-17 point loss. We will play a major bowl and, win or lose, be riding high going into the off season.

Of course, any team can win any game any week. There's no such thing as a sure win in football. And I could be way off. We could lose to BYU, Miami, Wisconsin, and MSU and be 8-4 or (with some bad luck) 7-5 going into the post season. But in the end, with as many factors accounted for as I possibly can, I believe that the most likely situation will resemble what I wrote above.

• Fire 2

We have been thinned out at LB like no other with little experience left there. I think we will get picked on there and get exposed more than a couple of times this year.

To a certain extent I agree, but you have to consider that Rose-Ivey is healthy *knocks on wood* Banderas looked much improved during the spring game, and Marcus Newby is an athletic standout. We have some decent backups, and those 4 true frosh look talented enough to be solid backups. Yes, its a little thin, but only in numbers. I think it'll be in the late game when our guys are tired that they'll get exploited, but keep in mind we have some top notch safeties that can help.

What do you guys think Bo and Co. would have done this year compared to the current staff? I think with Bo, this team would have struggled to win 8 games, with a chance that the wheels would have finally come off. With Riley, I will need to at least see the first game to see how far along. If they lose a close, hard fought game against BYU, I think 8-4 or 9-3 is still pretty doable. If they win and look good right out of the gate, I could easily see 10+ wins

• Fire 1

We have been thinned out at LB like no other with little experience left there. I think we will get picked on there and get exposed more than a couple of times this year.

To a certain extent I agree, but you have to consider that Rose-Ivey is healthy *knocks on wood* Banderas looked much improved during the spring game, and Marcus Newby is an athletic standout. We have some decent backups, and those 4 true frosh look talented enough to be solid backups. Yes, its a little thin, but only in numbers. I think it'll be in the late game when our guys are tired that they'll get exploited, but keep in mind we have some top notch safeties that can help.

The B1G will absolutely punish Nebraska as the season progresses because of our depth issues at LB. The staff did a good job of finding some LBs with the limited amount of time they were given to recruit, but none of them were considered blue chip prospects nor were they recruited heavily by major competition.

I also blame the previous staff for failures to recruit DE over the previous few recruiting cycles. After the departure of Moss, the loss of Gregory and the complete lack of even decent recruits at DE (Neal seems to be the best DE of the past 3 recruiting classes), Nebraska will likely be exposed in the later part of the season here too.

As for this thread, my personal belief is that we upgraded at our position coaches but head coach is a wash. I think Mike Riley has more potential as a recruiter, but his lack of accomplishments don't give me much hope considering the uphill battle Nebraska faces in relation to the monster forming in the B1G East. He'll do okay, we'll be more competitive on the field but will finish 8-4/9-3 this season. The schedule makes it difficult to see any better than 8-4/9-3 for the next 3 seasons after that. Barring an unforeseen massive influx of recruiting talent or a complete collapse of the recruiting classes of OSU/Mich/Penn St/MSU, Nebraska will battle Wisconsin to recruit the 5th most talented team in the conference for the next several seasons. This is the reality.

I don't understand how people think there are not Husker fans predicting under 9 wins while at the same time telling everyone what a huge upgrade this staff is and how a bag of poop could coach the Huskers to 9 wins.

I think this staff is a considerabnle upgrade at early every position, don't you?

I think where you and a few others are getting confused is that many of us expect that upgrade to pay off, it just may or may not happen in year one. Its tough to really know what to "expect" but anything is "possible".

Heck ALL we heard last year was how a bag of poop could coach the team to 9 wins. Why are people pretending like that is not the case?

People aren't pretending. I think you're pretending that someone said that. Its an over exaggeration. Many weren't impressed with the last staff. Many think Bo Pelini is a sack of sh#t. Maybe that's where you got confused.

This is getting crazy...

Did you or did you not think the last staff kind of sucked?

Do you think this staff is better and probably WAAAAAY better?

My answer to both is yes...100%

So if your answer to both is yes, the expectations should be high(er), even in year one. Riley himself has said that he is going to play to the players strengths...which means he has told them and the fans that he is not going to try and make this OSU-East.

There is zero reason to think that things should be worse in his first year. Maybe I am just being super positive, I don't know.

No that's not true, because of the variables in opponents. We may be better but some of our opponents might be too. Look at Miami, common sense says they should be better based off how well they improved from week 3 to week 10 or whatever time frame you wanna give.

It's not always just about the team here in Lincoln. MSU is almost certainly a better chance of a win just because Narduzzi is gone. Minnesota might not be AS good as last year because David Cobb is gone.

But, who do these teams have coming in to step up? The fact is most don't know because they don't follow those teams THAT closely.

Number of wins doesn't tell the story all the time. I think LOMS said it way earlier in the thread. Too many variables to consider when talking about this stuff.

Frick, if we play in a 60mph blizzard vs Lincoln Southwest High School, the game would be closer than what the talent levels would suggest just because weather can equalize talent.

In no way shape or form are two years easy to compare simply because you are playing the same teams. Heck, just the difference between home and away can make a big difference.

The last staff was a good staff otherwise we wouldn't have won at least 9 games every year. They had some issues that held them back. I believe this new staff has the chance to be very good and I'm excited to see what they can do. But, I will bet on that after the very first game, we will have people predicting doom and gloom let alone after the first year no matter how it turns out.

Heck, we will have people predicting disaster tomorrow after the uniforms are unveiled simply because the logo is wrong from the manufacturer.

Emerald. nice write up in #91. I agree completely with your offensive assessment.

What I don't understand about most on this board is that everyone watched the spring game, yet so many expect to see something completely different in the fall. Watch the spring again if you have it taped. The offense isn't all that different than it has been. The passing game will be better, because it will be simpler. Receivers will run a set route and not an either or that can be interpreted the wrong way by the QB or WR. It won't look any different to us but it will be different in execution. Sprinkle in some jet sweep and more screens and you can have a pretty good offense.

I also don't agree that we will see a huge drop off in RB production just because AA is gone. It may be a more by committee thing, but goodness Newby and Wilbon were 4* star on at least one service. Taylor was a high three star that played for a power house Texas team.

Kenny Bell was good, but he was very streaky at best and he always seemed to disappear in big games. DPE, Westercamp the Illinois player of the year, Turner, et al will get things done.

The only place we really need to see improvement is at QB and really we are only talking about less than 2 more completions a game for TA to get to the magic 60%. He needs to make better decisions throwing and all that will improve.

The O-line has more talent than it has had in a long time. It is all potential, but there is about 10-12 guys that should be able to play, and most of them were high 3* or 4*.

Defensively just a change in philosophy will make this team better. Attack the LOS make them adjust to you not you to them.

Gregory is a loss, but he really didn't play that great last year. They have a nice 4 guy rotation at DT solid ends and great DBs. The LBs will step up. Trust me you are going to see some young guys step up.

To be honest, I think that, to a casual observer, our offense won't look much different than last years. Formations will be similar, we will still run read option plays (though less than last year), and our running game will still be mostly zone. What we will see is an improvement in pass routes. Early on there was some talk of moving to a passing tree. That means about 10 standard routes that are drilled every day, that the WR and QB know like the back of their hands. So fewer 'miscommunications', and even if Tommy isn't right on the money with his throws, it will be enough in the general directions of our talented receivers that they'll be able to adjust and make a grab. I think we will see more passes to and receptions by the TE, especially in red zone situations and as check downs. I expect the running game to struggle a little early as whoever gets the starting spot settles in, but it should be serviceable enough that our offense won't be one dimensional. And, of course, there will be the occasional under center heavy or jumbo set for short yardage, goal line, and the occasional play action situations.

The only place we really need to see improvement is at QB and really we are only talking about less than 2 more completions a game for TA to get to the magic 60%.

I personally think this is a much bigger issue that can make us see improvement than what some fans are willing to acknowledge. Many times what seemed like a horrible pass was caused by miscommunication between QB and WR or the two not being on the same page as to what route needed to be ran.

No way to compare past games with future games. Every team, most likely, on our schedule will be better than they were last year. That is the whole idea about development. Those hit hard by graduation/NFL may drop some, but overall you expect to get better.

Nebraska loses a couple of very talented players, other on the schedule to do to.

I think Nebraska wins 10 games this year in regular season. Michigan State most likely a loss. We will drop one of the other three, Miami, BYU or Wisconsin. If we don't I will be happier than a pig in poo.

I expect Nebraska to win at least 8. New coaches, new system, new faces all around.

I do expect a better team, whether wins/losses show it or not.

The more and more that I think about Michigan State, I keep thinking they will be a tad down this year, despite retaining Cook. Losing Narduzzi is HUGE. I think most people will see why when the Ducks go to East Lansing.

I see Nebraska winning 10 games, and making the conference title game and get beat by OSU. I really think Elliot will make the Big 10 say "Melvin Who?". I think Elliot is the best PURE running back I've seen in some time. He honestly reminds me of Lawrence Phillips.

Nebraska will go to the Rose Bowl at 10-3 and play the Oregon/USC loser (Pac 12 Title game/rematch from reg season). Interesting thing is, does Nebraska get a rematch of USC from last season or preview of Oregon for next season.

The more and more that I think about Michigan State, I keep thinking they will be a tad down this year, despite retaining Cook. Losing Narduzzi is HUGE. I think most people will see why when the Ducks go to East Lansing.

I see Nebraska winning 10 games, and making the conference title game and get beat by OSU. I really think Elliot will make the Big 10 say "Melvin Who?". I think Elliot is the best PURE running back I've seen in some time. He honestly reminds me of Lawrence Phillips.

Nebraska will go to the Rose Bowl at 10-3 and play the Oregon/USC loser (Pac 12 Title game/rematch from reg season). Interesting thing is, does Nebraska get a rematch of USC from last season or preview of Oregon for next season.

If we lose the conference title game, there's no chance we make the Rose Bowl. Bowls don't like CCG losers.

To answer your question - which is what I've said all along if you read more closely - you don't have to look at too many threads to see people talking about "only" winning eight or even seven games this year. The Vegas line is 8. Even McKewon has mentioned more than once that 7-9 should be what we're looking at. How many have specifically said "I expect to win seven"? Not very many. But we've gone round and round on all the reasons why people won't be surprised if 7 or 8 is all we win this year. There is almost no talk about winning more than nine.

Given that we've won 9 for the last seven years in a row and now most can't stop gushing about how basically every aspect of the program is improved, I don't get all the talk about how we might struggle this year and already making all the excuses for why we might not win as much. Especially when we have almost an identical schedule as last year.

There is basically no reason for this other than to want make basically any season look like a success. Or be able to point back at the end of the season and say "Well, we thought we might only win 7 to start the year so we did basically as expected". It's implied expectations as opposed to the overt use of the word you seem hung up on.

This is what the last few years of Bo have given us. Tempered expectations. The last few seasons have been a heck of a lot closer to 7 wins than 11 IMO. So...there is much less of a margin of difference between 7 and 9, and 9 and 11 (or really even 10). Because the margin is so small, a play her or a play there and we're at 7 wins instead of 9...I could see that happening fairly easily. Whether that is expectations or possiblities, doesn't really matter to me. The last few years have taught me to temper everything. It's why even w/ a staff upgrade and a schedule that every year ends up easier than it appears pre-season, I'm not expecting more than 9.

• Fire 2