Athlon Sports: Setting First-Year Expectations for Nebraska's Mike Riley

How Many Regular Season Games Will Nebraska Win in 2015?  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

New coaches, new systems, question marks on the back side of the defense, probably looking at 8-9 wins--again.

Some other posters are predicting worse record because of the coaching change.

Here are what has happened in the past:

Devaney went 9-2 after Jennings's 3-6-1 (+6)

Osborne went 9-2-1 after Devaney's 9-2-1 (+0)

Solich went 9-4 after Osborne's 13-0 (-4)

Callahan went 5-6 after Solich's 10-2 (-5)

Pelini went 9-4 after Callahan's 5-7 (+4)

• Fire 1

With apologies to saunders, I was thinking about starting this topic after some discussions yesterday. Rather than start a completely new thread, I just added the Poll at the top.

Just want to see how many game you think is most likely that the Huskers will win this year - regular season only. I think most would say they wouldn't be surprised with one more or less than they predict but just say what you think is most likely. And adding a post with why you think that or what game you think we'll win/lose would be great.

• Fire 1

I'm going with the ever-popular #9wins. If I had much faith in us having a QB who could consistently make the throws we need, I'd go 10.

I just think our schedule is relatively easy. It's basically the same as last year. Exactly the same conference schedule and three of four non-cons basically the same - Miami and two should-be-Ws. Our non-conference is tougher - BYU plus traveling to Miami. But the conference is somewhat easier in that our toughest three games - Wisconsin, Michigan State and Iowa - are all at home.

I'll go with 6-2 in conference, losing to Wisconsin and Michigan. Though I won't be that surprised if we win either as I think we'll be pretty competitive. And I really think we win all four non-con games.

I know that should make us 10-2 but, like I said, I think we find a way to lose one of the other games - BYU, Miami, Minnesota or Iowa - in no small part due to poor QB play.

I'm going with the ever-popular #9wins. If I had much faith in us having a QB who could consistently make the throws we need, I'd go 10.

I think we find a way to lose one of the other games - BYU, Miami, Minnesota or Iowa - in no small part due to poor QB play.

Agreed, also why I chose 9.

Anything under 8 would be a disappointment imo. We aren't a national title contender this year but this should be a decent football team even with the changes. Building for years 2-5 is the most important thing regardless.

Below 8 - Not good enough

8 - Meh, first year coach

9 - Solid all things considered

10 - Good

11+ -

350x700px-LL-1756fde0_382.gif

Tommy becoming a pocket passer? Laughing on that one.

Do you really think Riley will try to use TA as a pocket passer?

I think we'll primarily use play-action and get TA out of the pocket where he has a run-pass option, and only minimally throw from a standard pocket.

I know Riley said he will get Tommy running, I think this writer needs to write about what he know.

I went with #10wins. I expect improvement.

I guess it comes down to how you would feel if they don't win ten. Would you see it as a failure?
Depending on the circumstances, no. On paper, we have the most talent in the division by a fair margin, a relatively easy schedule, and an apparent upgrade in coaching. Right now the floor is 9. Anything less is a failure, barring catastrophic injuries.

I went with #10wins. I expect improvement.

I guess it comes down to how you would feel if they don't win ten. Would you see it as a failure?
Depending on the circumstances, no. On paper, we have the most talent in the division by a fair margin, a relatively easy schedule, and an apparent upgrade in coaching. Right now the floor is 9. Anything less is a failure, barring catastrophic injuries.

I voted 10 before I read the thread. And saunders says exactly my thinking.

Anything under 8 would be a disappointment imo. We aren't a national title contender this year but this should be a decent football team even with the changes. Building for years 2-5 is the most important thing regardless.

Below 8 - Not good enough

8 - Meh, first year coach

9 - Solid all things considered

10 - Good

11+ -

350x700px-LL-1756fde0_382.gif

This is pretty much now I will feel with what ever scenario comes out.

I said I think they will win 10 games. I think they will drop one of the BYU or Miami games then one conference game. I think with this staff, (barring injuries) we will see improvement from start to finish through the season.

I am pretty dang sure we won't see the HC melting down on the side lines during big games with the players being the mature ones trying to rally the troops. You never know how much better the team may play simply because of that.