Bo Pelini had to go and Mike Riley had to be hired

Dirk can write some very good stuff, he also is not above stirring the pot, a lot. If you have ever listened to him talk on 590AM, IMO he comes off as a very arrogant type of a guy himself. I can see how Dirk and BP would not get along and always get into pissing matches.

Dirk can write some very good stuff, he also is not above stirring the pot, a lot. If you have ever listened to him talk on 590AM, IMO he comes off as a very arrogant type of a guy himself. I can see how Dirk and BP would not get along and always get into pissing matches.

That's funny. I'm probably one of Dirk's most strident critics on HuskerBoard, but I really like him on the radio. Maybe it's the folks he's talking to on 590AM, but when I hear him on 93.7 The Ticket here in Lincoln, he comes across as knowledgeable and easygoing. In fact, I swung around to being more in Dirk's corner over the past couple of years because of the times I've heard him on the radio.

It's always interesting to me how we can all read or hear or watch the same things and get different stuff out of it.

• Fire 1

I remember when this board hated Dirk Chatelain for the things he wrote about Pelini and the way he ran the program. Kinda funny how he was right.

Heck, some people still don't like him around here.

I dunno. I was one of those who had a problem with what Dirk wrote about Pelini back then. Because Pelini was our current coach. Even if the things Dirk said back then were true (and they probly were), it doesn't help our program out to tear it down. But I have no problem about Dirk slinging mud at Pelini now. I know, I know, it's a double standard. I just think we should show some deference to the current guy is all. But the *previous* guy, well, he's fair game. :lol:

• Fire 3

I remember when this board hated Dirk Chatelain for the things he wrote about Pelini and the way he ran the program. Kinda funny how he was right.

I dunno. I was one of those who had a problem with what Dirk wrote about Pelini back then. Because Pelini was our current coach. Even if the things Dirk said back then were true (and they probly were), it doesn't help our program out to tear it down. But I have no problem about Dirk slinging mud at Pelini now. I know, I know, it's a double standard. I just think we should show some deference to the current guy is all. But the *previous* guy, well, he's fair game. :lol:

Right, I understand that. That's well said.

But I like Dirk's stuff in contrast to Sipple's. It takes guts to write things you know will be unpopular, to poke the bear as Knapp stated. Always writing about how things are all sunshine-and-roses like Sipple isn't healthy for the program.

That's funny. I'm probably one of Dirk's most strident critics on HuskerBoard, but I really like him on the radio. Maybe it's the folks he's talking to on 590AM, but when I hear him on 93.7 The Ticket here in Lincoln, he comes across as knowledgeable and easygoing. In fact, I swung around to being more in Dirk's corner over the past couple of years because of the times I've heard him on the radio.

It's always interesting to me how we can all read or hear or watch the same things and get different stuff out of it.

Knowledgeable, yes, easy going ,no, He freely admits his formative years of Husker football were during the glory times 1993-1999 or what ever. When he starts stirring things up he makes me think he was about 13 in 1994 and doesn't understand why it isn't still that way.

Again I think he can write some really fine stuff. But, to me, sometimes it sounds like his 13 year old self is coming out. It is just my opinion, but he sounds a little arrogant on the radio. Listening to Dan Hoppen right now on USC. Detect none of the snottiness I feel like I get from Dirk.

• Fire 1

You know you'll get comments like this from time to time here:

Mavric, you must not be familiar with the new Huskerboard. Beck was a dumb-dumb and everything about the staff is superior and will thus fix our problems.

TA is a returning member of the team and thus we are required to be optimistic, even though we're familiar with his play and ability to play QB. In no way was his decision making his fault, it was all on Beck (dang him!) and his inherent limitations as a QB will soon be fixed by one off season.

and I gotta be honest, I've looked back at some of the games and Beck did do some good stuff (and some very stupid stuff) but really, when it comes to Bo Pelini and Beck and acknowledging anything that staff did well, it would be a lot easier to give them credit if they weren't such arrogant f'ing d'bags.

Especially Pelini with things like this story and the two audio tapes. Beck had his moments where he just came off as stubborn, unwilling to change, and I think he held a lot of resentment for the fan base as well.

It's a simple concept really, I'm a lot more likely to defend a guy I like no matter how wrong or right he might be. I think that's human nature isn't it? It's my nature anyway. If I don't like you, I'm likely to tell you to f#*k off back to Ohio.

Great post. My point in being very sarcastic there was to make fun of the narrative I've seen on the board lately where the previous staff is being shown in a negative light every chance they get and not putting the necessary criticism on our players.

Nebraska's problem the last 15 seasons has been both talent and coaching.

• Fire 1

Knowledgeable, yes, easy going ,no, He freely admits his formative years of Husker football were during the glory times 1993-1999 or what ever. When he starts stirring things up he makes me think he was about 13 in 1994 and doesn't understand why it isn't still that way.

Again I think he can write some really fine stuff. But, to me, sometimes it sounds like his 13 year old self is coming out. It is just my opinion, but he sounds a little arrogant on the radio. Listening to Dan Hoppen right now on USC. Detect none of the snottiness I feel like I get from Dirk.

I can definitely see where you're getting that.

To me, it mostly seems like he needs to blow his nose. He always sounds like it's the middle of allergy season and he's standing in a field of ragweed.

Well said.

My biggest problem with Dirk wasn't that he wrote something negative. It was that it seemed like he very very seldom would write something positive. Even if someone hated Bo and thought a change needed to be made, there are still positive things going on around the program that can be written about.

It was like he went through a period that all he could think about was how to rip on Bo.

I will say this, he is a very good writer and I have liked some of the things he has put out since the change. I just wish he could have included some of those while Bo was here too.

This happens with the beat reporters in a lot of different cities, covering a lot of different sports. They have better access than the average fan, see a lot of stuff first hand and get a lot of reliable second-hand scuttlebutt. Some of it's the little stuff that happens in every locker room. Some of it can get pretty nasty, even actionable. But their job depends on their ability to maintain access, so they merely hint at discord rather than spell it out. So they get accused of being chippy and having agendas, and maybe they do. But more often than not, they are holding back. Chatelain and others were actually being diplomatic. The Bay Area sports reporters did a similar dance around Jim Harbaugh during his days at Stanford and the SF 49ers. You had to read between the lines. Bo was worse than anything they ever wrote about him.

I always imagine the person who leaked the first Pelini tape as someone who had been around Bo plenty, watched him say deplorable things, and then had conversations with Husker fans who defended Bo's fiery personality, not knowing how petty, self-pitying and vicious his wrath could be. He or she thought they were doing us a favor, speeding up the departure of a man who clearly didn't want to be there. But most folks here went the other direction, wanting to out "The Leaker" as cowardly and disloyal. We got two more seasons and an even worse exit speech out of Bo.

I'm sure it will never enter Bo Pelini's mind, but Nebraska fans and media treated him better than he deserved.

• Fire 1

He or she thought they were doing us a favor, speeding up the departure of a man who clearly didn't want to be there. But most folks here went the other direction, wanting to out "The Leaker" as cowardly and disloyal. We got two more seasons and an even worse exit speech out of Bo.

I'm sure it will never enter Bo Pelini's mind, but Nebraska fans and media treated him better than he deserved.

That whole time was just baffling to me. Just outright strange how that was turned around to the "leaker" being the bad guy.

Bo had it pretty well here and I'm sure you're right, that will never even cross his mind. The same way it never crossed his mind to consider all the people that stayed throughout that game and many others.

(someone needs to add a note to the title this topic telling TheSker not to come in here, this is probably a very dark nightmarish place for him to come into)

3135998_o.gif

This happens with the beat reporters in a lot of different cities, covering a lot of different sports. They have better access than the average fan, see a lot of stuff first hand and get a lot of reliable second-hand scuttlebutt. Some of it's the little stuff that happens in every locker room. Some of it can get pretty nasty, even actionable. But their job depends on their ability to maintain access, so they merely hint at discord rather than spell it out. So they get accused of being chippy and having agendas, and maybe they do. But more often than not, they are holding back. Chatelain and others were actually being diplomatic. The Bay Area sports reporters did a similar dance around Jim Harbaugh during his days at Stanford and the SF 49ers. You had to read between the lines. Bo was worse than anything they ever wrote about him.

I always imagine the person who leaked the first Pelini tape as someone who had been around Bo plenty, watched him say deplorable things, and then had conversations with Husker fans who defended Bo's fiery personality, not knowing how petty, self-pitying and vicious his wrath could be. He or she thought they were doing us a favor, speeding up the departure of a man who clearly didn't want to be there. But most folks here went the other direction, wanting to out "The Leaker" as cowardly and disloyal. We got two more seasons and an even worse exit speech out of Bo.

If fans would have focused on the message instead of the messenger, we might have been rid of that sh!# storm sooner

There was a non-stop flow of positive stories about Nebraska football during Pelini's tenure.

If you wanted to read and believe the good stuff, it was always there for you. There was so much positivity, it appears, that we could dismiss the occasional doubts and blatant audio tapes as the work of a few crabby apples.

I don't think the Omaha World-Herald was ever as negative as an average day here on HuskerBoard.

Wouldn't it be weird if there had been even less skeptical coverage of Bo Pelini and what was happening behind the scenes?

Would it be more loyal to the program you love to report the discord, or more loyal to ignore it?