Bo Pelini had to go and Mike Riley had to be hired

You know you'll get comments like this from time to time here:

Mavric, you must not be familiar with the new Huskerboard. Beck was a dumb-dumb and everything about the staff is superior and will thus fix our problems.

TA is a returning member of the team and thus we are required to be optimistic, even though we're familiar with his play and ability to play QB. In no way was his decision making his fault, it was all on Beck (dang him!) and his inherent limitations as a QB will soon be fixed by one off season.

and I gotta be honest, I've looked back at some of the games and Beck did do some good stuff (and some very stupid stuff) but really, when it comes to Bo Pelini and Beck and acknowledging anything that staff did well, it would be a lot easier to give them credit if they weren't such arrogant f'ing d'bags.

Especially Pelini with things like this story and the two audio tapes. Beck had his moments where he just came off as stubborn, unwilling to change, and I think he held a lot of resentment for the fan base as well.

It's a simple concept really, I'm a lot more likely to defend a guy I like no matter how wrong or right he might be. I think that's human nature isn't it? It's my nature anyway. If I don't like you, I'm likely to tell you to f#*k off back to Ohio.

Great post. My point in being very sarcastic there was to make fun of the narrative I've seen on the board lately where the previous staff is being shown in a negative light every chance they get and not putting the necessary criticism on our players.

Nebraska's problem the last 15 seasons has been both talent and coaching.

Absolutely, it's been a combination of both.

With me though, I'm always going to revert back to dishing just a little more blame to the grown ass men who are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions of dollars to teach these kids work ethic, commitment, and the game of football.

19-22 years old is an age where a strong leader can mold them in very positive or negative ways, not just as a person, but also as a football player.

• Fire 1

There was a non-stop flow of positive stories about Nebraska football during Pelini's tenure.

If you wanted to read and believe the good stuff, it was always there for you. There was so much positivity, it appears, that we could dismiss the occasional doubts and blatant audio tapes as the work of a few crabby apples.

I don't think the Omaha World-Herald was ever as negative as an average day here on HuskerBoard.

Wouldn't it be weird if there had been even less skeptical coverage of Bo Pelini and what was happening behind the scenes?

Would it be more loyal to the program you love to report the discord, or more loyal to ignore it?

I know and I read those articles instead of Dirk's. My comments were about why I didn't like Dirk at the time.

HAHA! The old, basement confrontation!

That story has been floating around for a long time. Even today I still don't know what to make of it.

Probably the more amazing thing that day...me and a buddy left Omaha about 1 hour and 15 minutes before kickoff...the roads were empty and we were flying! We found a "free" parking spot at the Jiffy Lube (I think, it was closed) and parked...I made a quick call and it turns out a friend was down there with two extra champions passes!

We meet him and get the passes...start drinking and head up to the restaurant. We order our grub and wash it down with some more booze and I head back down...I thought my buddy was paying...he thought it was free! So we just walked out on the tab.

I can 100% confirm the basement story as I know the guy it happened to. It was Carl, Bo and a Lincoln police officer in the basement.

Basically this guy had a solid relationship with the staff leading up to this. Even sent NU film for the Western Kentucky game as it was a new HC etc that year for them I believe? Basically he had a guy film the entire spring game of WKU so they had something to go off of when we played them.

Bo screamed and yelled and told the guy to stay the f#*k away from HIS team.

Ha! That is awesome!

Why was he filming WKU?

We didn't have film on them and needed tape to game plan

I don't feel like Mike Riley needed to be hired but Bo definitely had to go. It was long overdue at that.

Yea, NU wanted a guy like Mike Riley, there would have been plenty out there.

But not a single one has the reputation that Riley does in the landscape of College Football. He's one of the brightest minds apparently. We just have to wait and see if that can translate into success at Nebraska.

I really really think Oregon State is such a desolate program that coaching them to 5-6-7 wins a year is a hell of a coaching job.

• Fire 2

I really really think Oregon State is such a desolate program that coaching them to 5-6-7 wins a year is a hell of a coaching job.

So does that give Erickson elite status?

Depends who you ask...jmfb would tell you yes. I wouldn't say that though.

I think it's interesting, that if you go back and watch the spring game on youtube, there is a spot in there where Damon Benning says something about Riley telling them how he didn't have an actual "2 Deep" at Oregon St.

I know we've covered that sort of thing alot on the board for the past few months but damn, if there is one thing to hope on, its the fact that Riley has resources, and it should work wonders for him.

If you are getting 8 wins out of a roster that doesn't have a 2 deep of actual Division 1 talent, that's damn good, and NU should be looking up to a (hopefully) bright future.

If you are getting 8 wins out of a roster that doesn't have a 2 deep of actual Division 1 talent, that's damn good, and NU should be looking up to a (hopefully) bright future.

You've moved the win total up to 8 now. How many times in his Oregon State career did Riley win 8 or more games in a season?

You've moved the win total up to 8 now. How many times in his Oregon State career did Riley win 8 or more games in a season?

Riley won 8 or more games 6 times at Oregon State. Oregon State has won 8 or more games 13 times in its entire history.

• Fire 9

Riley won 8 or more games 6 times at Oregon State. Oregon State has won 8 or more games 13 times in its entire history.

#lolrekt

Back to the basement fight...how was the "friend of the program" filming WKU practices and/or spring game?

Also, could that have been a violation for NU...having someone film another teams practice, which the spring game technically is?

I have just heard about this basement thing for so long and I know it is true I just don't totally understand what it was about.

Two more of those 8+ win seasons, including an 11 were under Erickson in his four seasons there.

Also, could that have been a violation for NU...having someone film another teams practice, which the spring game technically is?

Probably, but it's probably also another one of those things that happens in the dark more than the average college football fan would realize.

Probably, but it's probably also another one of those things that happens in the dark more than the average college football fan would realize.

Oh I agree, spring games for sure are scouted, filmed, recorded and so on...but a practice? That would be tough to pull off, not only filming it but filming in such a way that it was decent enough to view.

Two more of those 8+ win seasons, including an 11 were under Erickson in his four seasons there.

So he Brady Hoke'd it?