Making Sense of the RB Position

Don't forget, we've had some walk-ons with a little bit of experience here. Nelson, and I forget the name of the other one, but Damon's pretty high on him as a zone back.

I would be comfortable, with what I've seen, of starting Jordan Nelson at I-Back against BYU. The kid has made some pretty good runs when given a chance, even with the eighth-string O Line that he's playing against. He's played well in the last couple of Spring Games, and while that's a terrible metric for judging a player, I think the guy's got the goods.

Even if we can only have Stevenson start one game, I want it to be against Wisconsin, and I want to not ever call a passing play, and I want him to hang 500+ yards on them, and I want the crowd to sing "NA NA NAAA NAAAA, HEY HEY HEY, GOODBYE" as we blow them out 71-0.

Is that too much to ask?

81526108.gif

• Fire 1

Even if we can only have Stevenson start one game, I want it to be against Wisconsin, and I want to not ever call a passing play, and I want him to hang 500+ yards on them, and I want the crowd to sing "NA NA NAAA NAAAA, HEY HEY HEY, GOODBYE" as we blow them out 71-0.

Is that too much to ask?

If we beat Wisconsin 71-0 this year, they will still have outscored us by 31 points in the five games (counting 2015) we've played against them since joining the Big Ten.

• Fire 1

Is that too much to ask?

If we beat Wisconsin 71-0 this year, they will still have outscored us by 31 points in the five games (counting 2015) we've played against them since joining the Big Ten.

Well, guess I have a reason to drink tonight now...

Is that too much to ask?

Debbie-Downer.gif

• Fire 1

Cross a 4* recruit, really?! I don't think so.

247 had him as a 3 star, and I guess rivals did as well, but Scout must have had him high because he was a 4 star composite, which averages all of the services together.

As a Husker, I'd almost say he's borderline in the 2* direction, hope he ups his game.

Here is what they are saying about Stevenson to Nebraska over at a Wisconsin board "Buckyville dot yuku dot com"

As I understand it. Nebraska has been trying to improve it's academic reputation since joining the B10. Doesn't this scream 'We care less about academics'?

Just awesome, we'll be going against him every year and possibly this October in Lincoln.

If there's one good thing about this, it's that him and his talent will be shoved in our face every time we play them and maybe more people will get pissed off about it and request that we give kids the same chance other "like minded schools" are giving. Let's stop playing with one hand tied behind our back while throwing at a moving target that has the scoring lines drawn on after the darts are thrown.

Ugh. Alabama would almost have been the lesser of two evils. The thing that really chaps me is that Jordan so badly wanted to be a Badger. He committed when we didn't have a coach. I believe he even got a Motion W tattoo. And now he's going to...Nebraska. A team we play every year. It's going to suck REALLY BAD if he becomes the next Montee Ball or Melvin Gordon.

Maybe he will only be A mere Abdullah when Nebby plays Sconnie!
  • Fire 2

I'm in the camp that is excited about Wilbon's career. I think the pecking order going into fall starts with Newby. AT will earn some carries early on. I still don't know what will happen to Imani, but it's encouraging to know where we can count on him near the goal line.

Stevenson's name is new news to me since I haven't been diligently following recruiting. I may have to jump over there and read up.

It looks pretty clear that the team will have two types of backs. A group that are smallish build, quick feet, jittery, can catch out of the backfield, with good breakaway speed. The other group is mostly north/south bangers that don't waste a lot of extra movement when they get the ball. Just pound it and embrace the physical contact between the tackles.

I think they all have the ability to be good running backs. It'll come down to more than that, such as confidence, blocking, pass catching, and how they perform with their opportunity.

• Fire 1