Making Sense of the RB Position

With Stevenson's commitment, we've added even more talent to an already talented position, yet there's no clear pecking order heading into fall camp. How do you see the position shaking out?

Ranked by Recruiting Rankings/Offers

(Using 247 Composite Rankings)

1. Terrell Newby - 4 Star .94 (best offers - UCLA, Arizona State, Washington)

2. Jordan Stevenson - 4 Star .91 (best offers - Alabama, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Texas, Miami)

3. Imani Cross - 4 Star .906 (best offers - South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia Tech)

4. Adam Taylor - 4 Star .905 (best offers - Arkansas, LSU, Oklahoma, Stanford)

5. Mikale Wilbon - 3 Star .886 (best offers - Arkansas, Mississippi State, Missouri)

6. Devine Ozigbo - 3 Star .856 (best offers - Miami, Wisconsin, Mississippi State, Kansas State)

Ranked by Production in College

1. Imani Cross - 1,184 career yards, 5.4ypc, 22 TDs

2. Terrell Newby - 595 career yards, 4.9ypc, 7 TDs

3. Mikale Wilbon - none

3. Adam Taylor - none

3. Jordan Stevenson - none

3. Devine Ozigbo - none

Personally, I think Taylor and Stevenson have the most raw talent, with everyone else being a distant step behind, but man that is a lot of talent with not much experience. What will happen?

• Fire 4

Ranked by Recruiting Rankings/Offers

(Using 247 Composite Rankings)

1. Terrell Newby - 4 Star .94 (best offers - UCLA, Arizona State, Washington)

2. Jordan Stevenson - 4 Star .91 (best offers - Alabama, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Texas, Miami)

3. Imani Cross - 4 Star .906 (best offers - South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia Tech)

4. Adam Taylor - 4 Star .905 (best offers - Arkansas, LSU, Oklahoma, Stanford)

5. Mikale Wilbon - 4 Star .886 (best offers - Arkansas, Mississippi State, Missouri)

6. Devine Ozigbo - 4 Star .856 (best offers - Miami, Wisconsin, Mississippi State, Kansas State)

Wilbon and Ozigbo and were both 247 composite 3 stars

I think Newby gets the highest percentage of carries with Cross being 2nd to start the year because his running style.

I know Adam Taylor is high on many lists, but until he stays healthy, i dont see it happening.

If i had to create a depth chart today, it looks like this:

Newby

Cross

Taylor

Stevenson

Wilbon

Ozigbo-Redshirts

It is a complete toss up. New system so new guys or guys with lack of experience have a good chance. Guys who prove they can catch out of the backfield are probably going to get more chances as well.

I dont mind giving carries to a few guys, but still prefer if we have one guy who gets 60%(18 carries a game) with other guys getting reps.

New coaches means it is all up for grabs. We have talent and diversity at the RB position so that will allow for unique sets.

Man, with all that talent at RB let's get em on the field! With Pierson-El and Westerkamp on the edges at WR. Two RB sets with maybe Snyder in an H-Back role. Which RB's? I don't even know anymore. Those a lot to choose from. Two guys are going to seperate themselves from the pack.

I always wanted Beck to go more toward an Auburn type of backfield look. Now that Riley was hired I was hoping we'd progress more toward a pro style look, but now with all these offensive weapons you have to find ways to get your talent on the field right?

Maybe we start to look more like this:

AUBPlay4a_medium.png

• Fire 1

Man, with all that talent at RB let's get em on the field! With Pierson-El and Westerkamp on the edges at WR. Two RB sets with maybe Snyder in an H-Back role. Which RB's? I don't even know anymore. Those a lot to choose from. Two guys are going to seperate themselves from the pack.

I always wanted Beck to go more toward an Auburn type of backfield look. Now that Riley was hired I was hoping we'd progress more toward a pro style look, but now with all these offensive weapons you have to find ways to get your talent on the field right?

Maybe we start to look more like this:

AUBPlay4a_medium.png

Only in a dream land. Think about the GaTech offense even.

Taylor and Ozigbo as the B-Backs, and the A-Backs being Stevenson/Newby/Wilbon

• Fire 1

I am still most excited to see Adam Taylor. I don't pretend to be an expert evaluator of RB talent, but I think he could be great. We have a lot of talent in the RB stable, a good problem to have.

Me too! He might be the best RB of the bunch. Seems like we've been waiting forever to see him.

*Might.

Even if we can only have Stevenson start one game, I want it to be against Wisconsin, and I want to not ever call a passing play, and I want him to hang 500+ yards on them, and I want the crowd to sing "NA NA NAAA NAAAA, HEY HEY HEY, GOODBYE" as we blow them out 71-0.

Is that too much to ask?

• Fire 4