Camping Out: Quarterbacks

Am I the only one who somewhat wishes we could have seen Beck a year without the Bo handcuffs on? The bowl game, that's what I was hoping to get from Beck in looking at his old film. And we scored, a lot.

We will get to see it, but he'll being doing it in Ohio.
Beck won't have the Bo handcuffs on, but he will not be the playcaller. Ed Warriner (OL coach) is the offensive coordinator. Beck (QB coach) is the co-offensive coordinator. And you also have Urb giving a fair amount of input.

For reference, last year Tom Herman was the OC (play caller) and Warriner was the co-OC.

This Bo handcuffs thing is getting out of control.

Its ridiculous how we'll give Beck all kinds of credit for how good his offenses were, then excuse all the bad crap he did by saying he was handcuffed. Its crap.

He's been the OC here for four years. I've watched his teams and his QB's do the same dumb stuff for four years. We've watched his offense and his offensive line execute sloppy football for four years. One game, the USC game, does not validate this whole "Bo handcuffs" theory.

Beck will be getting an education at Ohio St., that's it. Does it look like they need a QB coach? They've got three QB's on their roster that can step in and run the offense if needed. So no, they don't need Beck. Becks role will be very limited and if I were him, I'd be glad I've got friends in Ohio and take advantage of this learning opportunity.

Some act as if Urban Meyer hiring Beck somehow validates him also. NEWS FLASH: The guy went from being the offensive coordinator AT NEBRASKA, to a QB COACH at Ohio St. That's a demotion folks, not a promotion. I know the whole world is kissing Urban and Ohio St.'s grits right now, but Tim Beck took a step down when he left here. Guys that are such "great OC's" with perennial "top 10-15" offenses, don't usually step backwards into QB coaching jobs.

/end rant

Offensive Coordinator and QB coach to Co-Offensive Coordinator and QB coach at a better school might be a slight step down, but not a big one. What's out of control is the amount of twisting and contorting you're trying to attempt to discredit any ability on his end.

Count me in the camp that thinks Beck is a solid pick, and yes, getting hired by Urban is a validation. We've seen him put together really good offense, and we've never seen him put together horrible offense. Plus there's Shawn Watson as anecdotal evidence of the "Bo handcuffs" theory as well, who has done very well for himself after leaving here.

Really? What about my comment is contorting or twisting in an attempt to discredit him completely? Please, show me that part. I don't like liars, I really don't.

I'd ask you to go back and find quotes of me discrediting Beck, but you'd simply go back and cherry pick all the times I've done so and you'd edit out all the times I've said what he does well. Fact is, I don't think he did a whole lot very well, but he did do some things very, very well. He was very creative offensively. (too creative sometimes) He should have stuck with some of those things he did well. Especially developing that diamond formation he had going.

Its ridiculous how we'll give Beck all kinds of credit for how good his offenses were, then excuse all the bad crap he did by saying he was handcuffed. Its crap.

Kind of like giving the RB's all the credit for our run game the last 5 years, and then blaming all the bad stuff on the OC and OL, while not giving the opponent credit.

;)

Who has done this? Or are you just pulling this argument out of your ass?

You're building a disagreement based on something that literally nobody has said. If that's the way of it, what's the freaking point? Seems like a childish way to have a discussion. I can make up things you've said too, but I guess I don't need to lower myself to that. I have enough ammunition purely based on the things some of you have said.

Exactly, if a guy who doesnt know the play is the one we depend on to make the grab......wtf? With 2 more downs I just don't think we needed the home run there.

I agree with you completely.

Anyway, it doesn't look like a homerun play though. They were bringing 6 on the play, so it was meant to take advantage of that, and conceptually it did. With 4 of their 5 guys deeper than the route, it was meant as just a completion and moving the chains, because he would have been tackled by the guy who eventually intercepted the ball.

Had we run the ball... On that play, like I said, MSU blitzed 6 on the play. It wouldn't have turned out well, also, with only 30 seconds on the clock, best general practice in that situation is to throw the ball.

It makes sense to throw the ball. The play call makes sense. It was just the personnel, and that just came down to Bell being out, and Moore running two deep routes in a row. I cannot place the blame on the players, they were inexperienced. The coaching staff knew that.

Kind of like giving the RB's all the credit for our run game the last 5 years, and then blaming all the bad stuff on the OC and OL, while not giving the opponent credit.

;)

You're building a disagreement based on something that literally nobody has said. If that's the way of it, what's the freaking point? Seems like a childish way to have a discussion. I can make up things you've said too, but I guess I don't need to lower myself to that. I have enough ammunition purely based on the things some of you have said.

You have. That is who.

• Fire 2

Plus there's Shawn Watson as anecdotal evidence of the "Bo handcuffs" theory as well, who has done very well for himself after leaving here.

He has? Based upon what? The gauntlet of a schedule he was able to get through at Louisville? Or the fact that he's a QB coach at Texas now?

Okay, if you say so.

Exactly, if a guy who doesnt know the play is the one we depend on to make the grab......wtf? With 2 more downs I just don't think we needed the home run there.

Anyway, it doesn't look like a homerun play though. They were bringing 6 on the play, so it was meant to take advantage of that, and conceptually it did. With 4 of their 5 guys deeper than the route, it was meant as just a completion and moving the chains, because he would have been tackled by the guy who eventually intercepted the ball.

Had we run the ball... On that play, like I said, MSU blitzed 6 on the play. It wouldn't have turned out well, also, with only 30 seconds on the clock, best general practice in that situation is to throw the ball.

It makes sense to throw the ball. The play call makes sense. It was just the personnel, and that just came down to Bell being out, and Moore running two deep routes in a row. I cannot place the blame on the players, they were inexperienced. The coaching staff knew that.

Pass was the right call, that play maybe not so much.

I guess it comes down to this: a good QB does what Tommy did. A great QB finds a way to keep the drive alive.

Plus there's Shawn Watson as anecdotal evidence of the "Bo handcuffs" theory as well, who has done very well for himself after leaving here.

He has? Based upon what? The gauntlet of a schedule he was able to get through at Louisville? Or the fact that he's a QB coach at Texas now?

Okay, if you say so.

The oft repeated "Shawn Watson has done very well for himself" meme may or may not be true based upon how you feel about the prestige of a job at Texas, but it is not because he has had a lot of great results since leaving Nebraska. He had one good year at Louisville, which happens to be the same year that he had a QB who went on to start in the NFL as a rookie. Since then he has essentially run the Texas offense into the ground compared to his predecessors' records.

• Fire 1

Pass was the right call, that play maybe not so much.

I guess it comes down to this: a good QB does what Tommy did. A great QB finds a way to keep the drive alive.

I'm hoping Tommy starts extending plays with his legs more often. This was one of my knocks on him last year. Multiple times he forced a throw when he could've pulled it and ran or at least extended the play and found another option.

We all know Tommy has the mobility to do this very thing, he just didn't seem to do it enough.

It's back yard football kind of stuff. It's what made me wonder what was going on in his head. If you're a QB just out there having fun, running your offense, and feeling comfortable in what you're doing, then you don't even think about stuff like this, it just comes natural. Tommy didn't look real "natural" out there a whole lot last year. It seemed he was either thinking too much, or something else I'm not sure of. His comfort level was down though.

Okay, if you say so.

The oft repeated "Shawn Watson has done very well for himself" meme may or may not be true based upon how you feel about the prestige of a job at Texas, but it is not because he has had a lot of great results since leaving Nebraska. He had one good year at Louisville, which happens to be the same year that he had a QB who went on to start in the NFL as a rookie. Since then he has essentially run the Texas offense into the ground compared to his predecessors' records.

It's fun to make up stuff though.

;)

nick-cage-lol.gif

• Fire 1

;)

nick-cage-lol.gif

computer-slap.gif
  • Fire 3

90% sure Watson left (was let go) after signing day whatever year that was and coached all bowl games.

Watson's final year was 2010. The Arizona game was another great example of Bo taking the gloves off the offense after putting the clamps down post-Iowa State. The Wildcats never saw the Wildcat coming.

Then it turns out the coordinators who were so vilified in their time here were pretty well regarded outside of Nebraska.

To be fair, Beck is only the #3 guy for the offense at Ohio State, and won't be calling plays. He was coveted primarily for his recruiting, which is a strong point (and he has strong ties in TX). Watson is more of a QBs guy.

It would have been much better to have both and to just allow them to operate. But that was not Bo's thing, vis a vis the Nebraska offense.

As far as anecdotal evidence goes, it is pretty striking that for the Holiday Bowl, the Nebraska offense suddenly scrapped the looking helplessly to the sidelines non-huddle it had used for years, ran 30 more plays than their season average in a crisp no-huddle offense, suffered no fumbles and few penalties, produced 42 points, over 500 yards and a quick strike two-point conversion against a higher ranked team stocked with some of the nation's top-rated recruits.

Tim Beck had the exact same problem Shawn Watson did: fans who desperately wanted to blame someone other than Bo Pelini.

If you're looking for the source of Nebraska's problems in the Bo Pelini era, offensive play-calling is way down the list.

• Fire 3