Camping Out: Quarterbacks

They were working a lot of 3rd and long situations last night. Not surprised at the QB struggles in that drill, especially w/o Westerkamp and DPE.

Tough drill, defense knows you're going to pass. In some ways I feel good that the defense is dominating. If TA was beating them with his arm, in obvious passing situations, we might be in for a long year.

You have to decide your perspective of either, "playing against a great defense is causing Tommy to struggle but will only make him better", or "Tommy shouldn't be struggling this much in practice against our defense, and that doesn't bode well for what happens when he goes up against better defenses.

Tommy could have easily had 50% more interceptions last season had defenders done a better job of securing balls thrown straight to them - I can think of 8 absolute gimmes off the top of my head just from USC and Purdue. A lot of those, you'd hope, were due to the over flexibility of Beck's system.

That can be said about almost any QB that throws the ball a lot. I can remember very good QBs we have played against that our DBs would have had multiple INTs if they could catch the ball.

They were working a lot of 3rd and long situations last night. Not surprised at the QB struggles in that drill, especially w/o Westerkamp and DPE.

Tough drill, defense knows you're going to pass. In some ways I feel good that the defense is dominating. If TA was beating them with his arm, in obvious passing situations, we might be in for a long year.

You have to decide your perspective of either, "playing against a great defense is causing Tommy to struggle but will only make him better", or "Tommy shouldn't be struggling this much in practice against our defense, and that doesn't bode well for what happens when he goes up against better defenses.

Tommy could have easily had 50% more interceptions last season had defenders done a better job of securing balls thrown straight to them - I can think of 8 absolute gimmes off the top of my head just from USC and Purdue. A lot of those, you'd hope, were due to the over flexibility of Beck's system.

Agree with this.

I definitely give some leeway in learning a new system and not having some of the top WRs out there.

However, I have two big issues. One, it was in 7-on-7 so it's not like he was hindered by pressure or line of sight being blocked. Two, there are too many INTs to LBs. If a corner or safety makes a good play on a ball, props to them. But when you're routinely throwing INTs to LBs, you're not seeing the field very well. Which is particularly troubling in 7-on-7.

• Fire 1

Also, saying "we have absolutely no clue" about the interceptions isn't accurate. If all you read is this thread, that's right. But if you read the practice reports, there isn't much doubt.

Not having some top WRs doesn't help but that doesn't mean the first-string guys are always doing everything right or exactly in the right spot. Not to mention read the coverage so you don't throw it right to a LB. It's the QBs job to adjust and make a good throw.

That can be said about almost any QB that throws the ball a lot. I can remember very good QBs we have played against that our DBs would have had multiple INTs if they could catch the ball.

I can't really say, "Oh he routinely throws 5-6 balls straight to defenders" about most good quarterbacks that I'm aware of.

I can't really say, "Oh he routinely throws 5-6 balls straight to defenders" about most good quarterbacks that I'm aware of.

Over what period of time? Are you saying TA threw 5-6 balls directly at defenders per game? If so, I would doubt that. Did he do it maybe in a couple games? Maybe. How many of those "directly at the defender" was due to the WR getting screwed up or running the wrong route? I can remember a number of those happening. The final INT in the MSU game is a prime example. Are you blaming that on TA? I remember multiple times the announcers would even talk about "looking like the WR ran the wrong rout".

• Fire 1

I'm not saying it was even great defense more that TA isn't going to beat many defenses with his arm in obvious passing situations. They were working 3rd and long situations, which is tough for any offense but even moreso ours, which has its limitations in the passing game.

It would be a bad sign for our defense if he was carving them up in obvious passing situations.

Sounds like Darlington and Bush have been getting very few reps in team periods. TA got almost all the reps with Fyfe getting a couple snaps here and there.

Hmmmm, that seems odd compared to what I thought would be happening but it must mean they need TA to get a lot of work

First year, new system. You better focus on getting one guy executing the new system before you think about getting two or three guys executing it at a high level.

Developing a backup is important, but developing a starter is more important.

Been spending the last few months trying to convince some of you that this is kind of how it goes.

Good point! Get the one guy as ready as possible. With Riley's knowledge and Langs working with TA I have faith!

Considering what the coaches are asking the QBs to do compared to last staff, I think patience is required. Instead of staring down receivers while reading what defenders are doing (and drawing safeties into coverage) they now have to go through progressions and maybe even move safeties with their eyes. I suspect the route options were probably a good concept but misapplied. It's going to take a while to un-Beck Tommy. I believe they'll get there though.

I have a question on QB play.

The constant complaint of Tommy staring down receivers or not going through is progressions has been a constant complaint with Nebraska QBs for a very long time.

So, my question is, if the WR has options as to what rout they are going to run and the QB is expected to look one way and immediately turn and throw to the receiver, wouldn't that be much more difficult if you don't know exactly what rout the receiver is running on the side that you aren't looking at but eventually going to throw to?

In my mind, it would be MUCH easier having confidence going through progressions if WRs have set routs they are going to run and the QB should know where each WR is on each play.

I obviously have never played QB or WR but...is my thought process on this correct? If the QB has confidence in knowing where the WR is going to be, he is more likely to look off a safety and then back quickly and release the pass. Instead, if the WR has options, the QB has to either watch the WR or at least turn back with enough time to realize what is happening on that side of the field.

The constant complaint of Tommy staring down receivers or not going through is progressions has been a constant complaint with Nebraska QBs for a very long time.

So, my question is, if the WR has options as to what rout they are going to run and the QB is expected to look one way and immediately turn and throw to the receiver, wouldn't that be much more difficult if you don't know exactly what rout the receiver is running on the side that you aren't looking at but eventually going to throw to?

In my mind, it would be MUCH easier having confidence going through progressions if WRs have set routs they are going to run and the QB should know where each WR is on each play.

I obviously have never played QB or WR but...is my thought process on this correct? If the QB has confidence in knowing where the WR is going to be, he is more likely to look off a safety and then back quickly and release the pass. Instead, if the WR has options, the QB has to either watch the WR or at least turn back with enough time to realize what is happening on that side of the field.

I would think so, I didn't play QB or WR either, but it sounds like common sense.

Not totally correct. The defense is what determines what route the WR runs, so the QB should be able to say, if they are in a 2 high look, the WR is running this route or if they are blitzing from this side and playing cover 3 over the top they run this route, etc. That's a major simplification but the idea is that you shouldn't ever have to stare down receivers to know where they are going. You read the defense, you know where your receiver 'should' be going.

Not totally correct. The defense is what determines what route the WR runs, so the QB should be able to say, if they are in a 2 high look, the WR is running this route or if they are blitzing from this side and playing cover 3 over the top they run this route, etc. That's a major simplification but the idea is that you shouldn't ever have to stare down receivers to know where they are going. You read the defense, you know where your receiver 'should' be going.

Okay, so when the defense moves?.................then what exactly?

I think you're wrong on this. I don't care if Tommy's aunt is Miss Cleo, there's no way to read a guys mind and know where he's going to go. Even if they were on the same page, Tommy is still going to look to make sure he's there and he's not gonna be able to let the ball go until the guy gets there. I'd love to hear the fans complain after hearing that. "Tommy, how did you throw 8 interceptions tonight?" "Well, the receiver was supposed to be there, so I just go ahead and throw it where I think he "should" be heading."?

Also, think about the times we have four wide receivers. You're telling me Tommy has to read the defense and know exactly where all four guys are going to be going according to how the defense is lined up? Then, again, when the defense shifts before the snap, you're kind of SOL aren't ya?

No way this is a plan for success.

Are you sure that is what we were doing the last couple of years? It seemed like they were doing more than pre-snap reads particularly on some of the longer routes. It appeared that they were reading the position of the defenders relative to the receiver. Watching other teams I never saw an obvious miscommunication on long routes. They were always shorter routes. I was too late to ask that JM-whatever guy, that supposedly attended some of Beck's seminar's, what they were trying to do.

"Un-Beck Tommy", haha! That's a good way to put it. I hope they completely "Un-Beck" the hell out of Tommy. What kind of moron thinks he needs to over complicate every single damn thing they do out there? No more basketball on grass. I'm with Riley. It needs to "look like football" out there. Start dictating to the opponent a little bit more on both sides of the ball instead of handing control of everything you do, over to the opponent.

I was having a conversation with a friend about this a few days ago. I understand the QB and WR both are supposed to read the defense but how often did one of them make the wrong, or even different read than the other? It seemed like that happened quite a bit last year. I can think of a couple instances where that happening attributed to a couple of those TA "almost picks" that defenders dropped. The question I have is how much of that was TA's fault and how much was the WR's?