Camping Out: Quarterbacks

Or maybe we only remember the bad plays. Tommy actually had some pretty good numbers last season:

• Armstrong posted the third-best total offense season in school history with 3,400 yards in 2014.
  • His 2,695 passing yards in 2014 ranked as the most by an NU sophomore and the fourth-most overall in school history.
  • Armstrong also rushed for 705 yards and accounted for 28 total touchdowns.
  • His 261.5 total offensive yards per game ranked second in the Big Ten, while his 207.3 passing yards per contest were fifth.

LINK

• Fire 6

I kind of seemed to me that Darlington and Bush weren't getting a lot of reps in practice but Riley said tonight that they're trying to be "fair" in the reps between those two and Fyfe, mixing around who they're playing with and against. Saw a couple of mentions of Darlington tonight so perhaps it's fairly even.

This might be a bold prediction...but Langsdorf and Riley know a lot more about QB's than we do and he's their #1....they must like something they see in TA.

They've pretty much said he is number 1 by default because of his experience. That doesn't mean they like what they see in him or are committed to him. Once someone else gets some experience he no longer has that advantage.

They were working a lot of 3rd and long situations last night. Not surprised at the QB struggles in that drill, especially w/o Westerkamp and DPE.

Tough drill, defense knows you're going to pass. In some ways I feel good that the defense is dominating. If TA was beating them with his arm, in obvious passing situations, we might be in for a long year.

They were working a lot of 3rd and long situations last night. Not surprised at the QB struggles in that drill, especially w/o Westerkamp and DPE.

Tough drill, defense knows you're going to pass. In some ways I feel good that the defense is dominating. If TA was beating them with his arm, in obvious passing situations, we might be in for a long year.

You have to decide your perspective of either, "playing against a great defense is causing Tommy to struggle but will only make him better", or "Tommy shouldn't be struggling this much in practice against our defense, and that doesn't bode well for what happens when he goes up against better defenses.

Tommy could have easily had 50% more interceptions last season had defenders done a better job of securing balls thrown straight to them - I can think of 8 absolute gimmes off the top of my head just from USC and Purdue. A lot of those, you'd hope, were due to the over flexibility of Beck's system.