Camping Out: Quarterbacks

I mean, sure, TA doing some things right and some things not so much. Its still preseason.

But we lost Stanton, Darlington has fallen down depth chart, Fyfe has a low ceiling, and AJ has yet to wow me doing anything. I think by mid season we see a fairly talented stable of QBs but at the moment it sounds like the growing lains could be rough.

All I can say is I would be less worried about the backups if I were in your shoes. TA has separated himself by a wide margin from the other QB's and that should be considered a good thing. Maybe he is what he is at this point and maybe he isn't, but, we won't know until the season unfolds.

As far as the other guys go, hopefully, we don't have to rely on them too much this year. Most of them are still very young and it's not always easy for young guys to get thrown into the mix right away. But, I wouldn't get your hopes up about the group markedly improving come mid-season. Once we get into game week and preparations, the focus shifts from being purely about getting better to beating your opponent while getting better.

Thats the thing, if TA has seperated himself by such a huge margin, what happens when we are forced into a situation where he is unavailable and it's on a backup to go in and start, or go in and win the game?

The coaches have to prepare for that, sure. All I'm suggesting is that it shouldn't worry you or the fan base too much right now. Preparing for adversity is one thing - living in fear of it is another. We have a pretty darn good option at QB right now. The other guys need to be ready to go at a moment's notice, but, we should focus on what we have while we've got it.

• Fire 1

I mean, sure, TA doing some things right and some things not so much. Its still preseason.

But we lost Stanton, Darlington has fallen down depth chart, Fyfe has a low ceiling, and AJ has yet to wow me doing anything. I think by mid season we see a fairly talented stable of QBs but at the moment it sounds like the growing lains could be rough.

Just curious, but aside from the spring game we haven't seen much of any of these guys. What will change by mid-season that makes you think they will become more talented than they are now, and what will we see as any evidence of it? Not being a jerk here, just curious on how you're making these assessments.

Why wouldn't they improve throughout the year? I actually expect to see big improvement in most units from the first game to the last. We have a new staff with new systems...etc. Everyone is going to be learning a lot the first half of the season. The QB position isn't going to be any different, including the backups. The staff has concentrated mostly on getting TA up to speed. That has been documented in the press and discussed by the coaches. He was the one they needed to concentrate on. As the season goes, all of them are going to learn more and understand better how various plays and the offensive system is supposed to work.

If that doesn't happen, something's wrong.

All I can say is I would be less worried about the backups if I were in your shoes. TA has separated himself by a wide margin from the other QB's and that should be considered a good thing. Maybe he is what he is at this point and maybe he isn't, but, we won't know until the season unfolds.

As far as the other guys go, hopefully, we don't have to rely on them too much this year. Most of them are still very young and it's not always easy for young guys to get thrown into the mix right away. But, I wouldn't get your hopes up about the group markedly improving come mid-season. Once we get into game week and preparations, the focus shifts from being purely about getting better to beating your opponent while getting better.

Thats the thing, if TA has seperated himself by such a huge margin, what happens when we are forced into a situation where he is unavailable and it's on a backup to go in and start, or go in and win the game?

If that happens....what happens happens. :hmmph

This is the down side of coaching changes. When you are trying to get a group of players up to speed quick, you have less time to develop the players behind them. As time goes on, this should change and the entire group should improve.

From the spring game until now it seems like the most important thing the coaches are focusing on in the QB area is the deep ball. TA has the arm strength to get it done, he just needs to work on his accuracy. It makes me wonder what the total offense will look like though. Will it be mostly play action off the run to set up the deep ball?

Just curious, but aside from the spring game we haven't seen much of any of these guys. What will change by mid-season that makes you think they will become more talented than they are now, and what will we see as any evidence of it? Not being a jerk here, just curious on how you're making these assessments.

Why wouldn't they improve throughout the year? I actually expect to see big improvement in most units from the first game to the last. We have a new staff with new systems...etc. Everyone is going to be learning a lot the first half of the season. The QB position isn't going to be any different, including the backups. The staff has concentrated mostly on getting TA up to speed. That has been documented in the press and discussed by the coaches. He was the one they needed to concentrate on. As the season goes, all of them are going to learn more and understand better how various plays and the offensive system is supposed to work.

Who said they wouldn't improve? You do a lot of arguing points nobody has even made.

Redux said Darlington as fallen down the depth chart, AJ Bush has done nothing to impress him, and Fyfe has a low ceiling. To go from saying that in one sentence, to saying "I think by mid-season we see a fairly talented stable of QB's" in the next sentence, was an interesting progression to me that I didn't quite understand.

Which is why I asked the question, and he answered it the best he could. While I still don't quite know what we would possibly see of those guys barring an injury from Tommy to really make the conclusion that they've gone from point A to point B in his mind, I don't think either one of us said there wouldn't be improvement.

Stop making something out of nothing.

What will change by mid-season that makes you think they will become more talented than they are now, and what will we see as any evidence of it?

Who said they wouldn't improve?

True, in fairness to BigRedBuster, the way you worded your question made it seem like you didn't believe they'd improve. Both of these quotes are from you. I know you intended to say something else but it didn't come off that way.

From the spring game until now it seems like the most important thing the coaches are focusing on in the QB area is the deep ball. TA has the arm strength to get it done, he just needs to work on his accuracy. It makes me wonder what the total offense will look like though. Will it be mostly play action off the run to set up the deep ball?

I know the coaches want to use the deep play as part of their arsenal, but, I think this has probably been blown out of proportion a bit. Based solely off my own opinions and assumptions, I think TA will throw no more than 25-30 times a game. If that holds true, I doubt more than 4-5 will be deep shots down the field. It's very unwise, in my opinion, to make deep throws a key point of your attack - they're more situational and opportunistic than anything else. Teams that rely on the deep ball to score may have problems putting together consistent, 10-play drives when they're needed.

• Fire 2

What will change by mid-season that makes you think they will become more talented than they are now, and what will we see as any evidence of it?

True, in fairness to BigRedBuster, the way you worded your question made it seem like you didn't believe they'd improve. Both of these quotes are from you. I know you intended to say something else but it didn't come off that way.

That's pretty much where I was at. 1995 had said...

I think by mid season we see a fairly talented stable of QBs but at the moment it sounds like the growing lains could be rough.

You questioned that as to why he thinks that. Well....that tells me that you don't think there will be improvement over what we have seen so far. He wasn't saying there isn't talented QBs in the system now. He is saying there is but we will see some growing pains. But, by mid season, he believes, they will have improved enough that we see the talent we have. Again, you questioned that statement which implies to me that you don't think they will improve.

Instead of acting like my response is the most insulting thing in the world, why don't you simply respond with an explanation as to what you mean, that is if I am misunderstanding you?

I know the coaches want to use the deep play as part of their arsenal, but, I think this has probably been blown out of proportion a bit. Based solely off my own opinions and assumptions, I think TA will throw no more than 25-30 times a game. If that holds true, I doubt more than 4-5 will be deep shots down the field. It's very unwise, in my opinion, to make deep throws a key point of your attack - they're more situational and opportunistic than anything else. Teams that rely on the deep ball to score may have problems putting together consistent, 10-play drives when they're needed.

I hope it has been blown out of proportion like you said. It just seems like that is what the main focus of stories and quotes coming out of fall camp is, the ability to complete the deep ball. Maybe TA has his short game on point and we will all be thoroughly surprised.

I hope it has been blown out of proportion like you said. It just seems like that is what the main focus of stories and quotes coming out of fall camp is, the ability to complete the deep ball. Maybe TA has his short game on point and we will all be thoroughly surprised.

Maybe they are working on timing and how to properly throw the deep ball? :dunno IMO last year Tommy just threw it as hard or as far as he could on those plays without regards to making his throw as catchable as it should. Doesn't matter how far you can sling it if you often overthrow your target by 5-7 yards. The WRs need a ball they can run down when they have a step or two on the secondary, or run under when they have a defender on them and they need to position themselves for the catch. Little more air, a little less mustard. And I think the WR coach is teaching them how to position their bodies on those close coverage deep passes too. So apparently in some of the earlier practices he was still slinging it too far too often which needs more work.

Who said they wouldn't improve? You do a lot of arguing points nobody has even made.

Redux said Darlington as fallen down the depth chart, AJ Bush has done nothing to impress him, and Fyfe has a low ceiling. To go from saying that in one sentence, to saying "I think by mid-season we see a fairly talented stable of QB's" in the next sentence, was an interesting progression to me that I didn't quite understand.

Which is why I asked the question, and he answered it the best he could. While I still don't quite know what we would possibly see of those guys barring an injury from Tommy to really make the conclusion that they've gone from point A to point B in his mind, I don't think either one of us said there wouldn't be improvement.

Stop making something out of nothing.

Lol...pot meet kettle

• Fire 2

I agree that it seems to be a focus, but, I just don't think that means it'll be something we see all the time for reasons I stated. Another narrative throughout fall camp had been that TA is improving but still had a tendency to miss on the easy throws. We'll have to wait and see for ourselves the improvement he has made.

The other thing I think we need to keep in mind is the point of practice - repetition. TA may throw 15, 20, or X amount of deep balls in a practice, but, that definitely doesn't mean a direct correlation to throwing a ton of deeps balls in a game. It'll be a part of our arsenal but if we see more than 3-5 deep attempts a game you can color me shocked.

The way I asked him a question, made it sound like I was making a statement? Speaking through this keyboard is a very difficult thing.

To be completely honest, I was simply asking Redux a question because I was curious of his opinion on it. I guess I don't get how anything came across as me stating my opinion on it. It was a question.

I think pretty highly of Fyfe already. I think Darlington is a damn good QB too. The only one of the bunch I haven't seen anything to be impressed with is A.J. Bush. So the fact is, I not only was questioning how he thought they would a talented stable of QB's by mid-season, and what he would see from them to make him think so, but I disagree with the entire premise of his statement to begin with. I think those guys are pretty talented QB's to begin with.

I think there were some assumptions made instead of just taking my comment at what was typed.

The way I asked him a question, made it sound like I was making a statement? Speaking through this keyboard is a very difficult thing.

To be completely honest, I was simply asking Redux a question because I was curious of his opinion on it. I guess I don't get how anything came across as me stating my opinion on it. It was a question.

I think pretty highly of Fyfe already. I think Darlington is a damn good QB too. The only one of the bunch I haven't seen anything to be impressed with is A.J. Bush. So the fact is, I not only was questioning how he thought they would a talented stable of QB's by mid-season, and what he would see from them to make him think so, but I disagree with the entire premise of his statement to begin with. I think those guys are pretty talented QB's to begin with.

I think there were some assumptions made instead of just taking my comment at what was typed.

And, all I did was ask..."why wouldn't they improve" and then gave reasoning as to why I think they should and will improve.

Seems to me that you jumped down my throat and acted like my comments were so insulting and you basically did what you're accusing me of.