Camping Out: Quarterbacks

I think it's quite possible that "there's something we don't know" here with respect to Darlington, where "don't know" = "won't be said but is probably concerning re-injury concerns."

That said, with respect to arm strength, remember when we had QBs who didn't have very strong arms. Seasoned, veteran, expert operators of the offense in Joe Ganz and particularly Zac Taylor - and even then how that limited the offense and the type of attack we could provide.

Here we have a redshirt freshman. So he can go through progressions and we haven't seen that in years at Nebraska; great. But that's a pretty low bar and it wouldn't be surprising if "offense fit" and "game experience" overruled considerations for a #2/3 QB spot right now. You look around the country at not Nebraska, how many QBs are there who go through progressions? -- how many of them actually make a case for themselves on the field? Not to take away from Darlington, I loved how he played and I was hoping he would make the charge into #2.

So it might very well be what Dude said -- too much Spring Game euphoria.

He's currently #4 so . . .

It's great how there is more discussion on the #4 QB, rather than the clear-cut #1 guy.

Tommy Armstrong generates more discussion on this board than any player since Taylor Martinez IMO. And even when Taylor was all we talked about, there was a lot of discussion about Carnes too, but still nowhere near the level of Taylor. It's the same now with Tommy and his backups. Has been, always will be, and Lincoln Nebraska isn't the only place we talk about backup QB's.

• Fire 1

So discussing other QB's on the roster besides the starter, Tommy Armstrong, is spring game euphoria?

Hmmph. Color me baffled. It appeared to me to be a pretty general discussion about another kid on this roster and what might be holding him back from moving up the depth chart.

You can't hate fans for being fans. We can only judge players on what we're given to judge them on. Nobody has said they "know better" than any coaches. They've said it was surprising how well Darlington looked in the spring then to see him at #4 on the depth chart. It's pretty basic stuff really.

Tommy Armstrong is the starter, he's the best QB on this roster IMO, and he's gonna surprise a lot of people this year. But I reserve the right to discuss any other QB on this roster at any damn time I choose.

So discussing other QB's on the roster besides the starter, Tommy Armstrong, is spring game euphoria?

Hmmph. Color me baffled. It appeared to me to be a pretty general discussion about another kid on this roster and what might be holding him back from moving up the depth chart.

You can't hate fans for being fans. We can only judge players on what we're given to judge them on. Nobody has said they "know better" than any coaches. They've said it was surprising how well Darlington looked in the spring then to see him at #4 on the depth chart. It's pretty basic stuff really.

Tommy Armstrong is the starter, he's the best QB on this roster IMO, and he's gonna surprise a lot of people this year. But I reserve the right to discuss any other QB on this roster at any damn time I choose.

I think the whole spring game euphoria reference is more so towards why Darlington isn't higher up the depth chart. Not a knock on the discussion.

• Fire 1

Why do you do that?

Not sure where this idea of Darlington as the number two came from. It was pretty clear coming out of spring that Tommy and Bush were #1 and #2. Regardless of how Zach played in the spring game.

Bush seemed to be the #2 guy for most of spring ball but Darlington was said to be closing fast by the end and had a much better spring game. Then most reports are that Bush hasn't looked nearly as good this fall.

I don't think anyone has ever said Darlington is #2. It seems from most of the practice reports that Fyfe is #2. But there have been quite a few reports from fall camp that Darlington has looked at least as good but just hasn't gotten very many reps. I haven't seen anyone say Bush has looked better this fall. Darlington and Fyfe similar if not an edge to Darlington. But that's just the guys watching. Obviously the coaches haven't said anything so they are seeing (or know) something else.

The guys on Drop the Mic here, who've been watching practice --and are known purveyors of kool-aid-- say that Tommy has been hitting 95% of his short and intermediate passes, and that the fans are going to be "shocked" when they see how much he's improved as a passer. They said he looks like a completely different quarterback.

Take that FWIW.

The guys on Drop the Mic here, who've been watching practice --and are known purveyors of kool-aid-- say that Tommy has been hitting 95% of his short and intermediate passes, and that the fans are going to be "shocked" when they see how much he's improved as a passer. They said he looks like a completely different quarterback.

Take that FWIW.

My nips got hard reading that.