Camping Out: Quarterbacks

I didn't read through this, but do we think Darlington being #4 has a lot to do with fear about concussion history? I mean, if he isn't going to start, should they be preparing a guy to be the #2 that has a high risk of further injury?

If they do that, and Armstrong gets hurt, Darlington gets dinged then we are on our #3 QB who is likely unprepared to play significant snaps. We aren't OSU right now at the QB position.

Just a guess here, but it's possible that Darlington was able to pick up Riley's offense very quickly in Spring practices. The kid is a coach's son and is known for his understanding of the playbook.

Then over the summer and into Fall Camp, Fyfe and Bush were able to get a better understanding and enough reps in the new offense. They were able to close the gap in understanding of the playbook, and were able to pass Darlington with their arm strength and overall athleticism.

I think we know far less about coaching quarterbacks than Danny Langsdorf. So if Darlington is #4...then that's where he should be for whatever unsaid reason. Thinking we know better than that is just silly.

All anybody has said is that we've acknowledged how very little we've seen from Darlington, but we've seen very little from Fyfe or Bush as well, and it is surprising that Darlington is down the bottom of the depth chart. We've acknowledged there must be a reason, and some have speculated what that reason may be.

It hasn't come across as anybody saying they know better than the coach. Looks like fans being fans, to me. Even when I said there's no way Darlington should be #4, I acknowledged that I'm just "average Joe fan" in the previous sentence, and I even said "there must be something we don't knmow about" a few sentences before that.

I think the obvious answer is we're reading too much into one good spring game outing.

People are disregarding sample size, but sample size is everything.

Where is this happening?

7 posts above the one you quoted would be one example.

Small sample size or not, he looked very, very good in that spring game.

• Fire 1

I think the obvious answer is we're reading too much into one good spring game outing.

I don't think NU fans have ever over-reacted to a decent spring game performance.
We need an All-Spring Game Team.

Nominate Darlington, Turner, Cross, Carnes . . .

Just a guess here, but it's possible that Darlington was able to pick up Riley's offense very quickly in Spring practices. The kid is a coach's son and is known for his understanding of the playbook.

Then over the summer and into Fall Camp, Fyfe and Bush were able to get a better understanding and enough reps in the new offense. They were able to close the gap in understanding of the playbook, and were able to pass Darlington with their arm strength and overall athleticism.

Did Darlington attempt any deep passes in the spring game? I thought he looked good, but I don't remember the length of his throws.

Where is this happening?

7 posts above the one you quoted would be one example.

Small sample size or not, he looked very, very good in that spring game.

Oh you mean this one where I literally say:

There's something with Darlington's situation that we just don't know. That's the only explanation I can find for it.

Small sample size or not, he looked very, very good in that spring game. His comfort level and decision making are through the roof. He could probably teach Tommy a few things in that aspect. Now Darlington doesn't have the physical tools Tommy has, but the average Joe fan that I am still says there's no way Darlington is the fourth best QB we've got. I like Fyfe, but I'd think Darlington is right there with him battling for that backup spot.

So I say there must be something about Darlington that we don't know.

I say he looked very good in the spring game? Yea, the rest of the world thought so too.

He looked comfortable out there and makes good decisions, he's a coaches son. He probably has a good understanding of what's going on out there and could probably teach Tommy a thing or two in that aspect.

I point out that he doesn't have the physical tools Tommy has as far as size, strength, power and speed.

I then point out that my simple "average Joe fan take" on it is that no way Darlington is the fourth best QB on the roster, I figured he'd be battling for that backup spot.

Hence, the first sentence of my comment that you chose not to quote. There's something with Darlington's situation that we just don't know.

Mavric even says this above: "Those are obviously things we haven't seen enough of to know for sure" in prelude to his comments about Darlington.

Nobody is disregarding sample size bud. You came to the board this morning to create stories for whatever reason. Good for you.