Camping Out: Quarterbacks

What has me baffled is Darlington. He went from being no. 2 in the spring to no. 4 in fall ball. Must be having a terrible camp.

Yeah, especially with the comments that Bush hasn't looked very good either.

I'm not sure how the groups work but several media guys have said they've hardly seen Darlington get any reps during the team periods for the last couple weeks.

What has me baffled is Darlington. He went from being no. 2 in the spring to no. 4 in fall ball. Must be having a terrible camp.

Yeah, especially with the comments that Bush hasn't looked very good either.

I'm not sure how the groups work but several media guys have said they've hardly seen Darlington get any reps during the team periods for the last couple weeks.

Joe Ganz on TBL has stated in the past that he simply doesn't have the arm-strength the coaches expected when he arrived. He might be the best at reading the defense, but can't make enough throws down the field or outside of the hashes.

Arm strength could be an issue. It's not about how far you can toss the ball downfield, you need to have good zip on even shorter throws sometimes.

But ... I do wonder if "arm strength" isn't just a code word for the concussion related concerns. I've always gotten the impression that they (as in the last staff) wanted to keep him far from the field. He may be technically cleared, but it seemed and still seems wise to proceed with extra caution.

I'm speculating here, just offering one idea. ZD is a really nice player. That was a really, really, really serious health scare he had. I hope he'll get to throw some regular season passes eventually.

The QB position is beginning to terrify me.

It won't be that bad. Might even be good. I'd suggest folks need to chillax and see how things go in games 1 and 3. TA's working hard and the coaches are committed to improving him including calling games to suit his strengths and weaknesses.

The QB position is beginning to terrify me.

There's no reason to be terrified, yet. TA is and will be our starter the whole season, and if he gets injured, there's not a single thing any of us can do about it. Ryker Fyfe is the "backup" right now, but, that doesn't mean he'll be the starter if anything happens to TA. Sometimes, a QB will be a backup simply because they're a good backup, meaning, the coaches trust them in a pinch not to mess things up. But, if TA goes down, it will have to be next-man-up to try and fill his shoes. Hopefully none of that happens, but if it does, it is what it is.

Plus, fall camp is now over, meaning it's time to shore things up and begin game planning. Let the team actually do something on the field before we become too overly critical or worried. This is one of the biggest problems with such high access to practices from the media - their flow of information creates highs and lows in the fanbases that are often misunderstood, blown way out of context or just don't do people a lot of good.

I mean, sure, TA doing some things right and some things not so much. Its still preseason.

But we lost Stanton, Darlington has fallen down depth chart, Fyfe has a low ceiling, and AJ has yet to wow me doing anything. I think by mid season we see a fairly talented stable of QBs but at the moment it sounds like the growing lains could be rough.

I mean, sure, TA doing some things right and some things not so much. Its still preseason.

But we lost Stanton, Darlington has fallen down depth chart, Fyfe has a low ceiling, and AJ has yet to wow me doing anything. I think by mid season we see a fairly talented stable of QBs but at the moment it sounds like the growing lains could be rough.

Just curious, but aside from the spring game we haven't seen much of any of these guys. What will change by mid-season that makes you think they will become more talented than they are now, and what will we see as any evidence of it? Not being a jerk here, just curious on how you're making these assessments.

All I can say is I would be less worried about the backups if I were in your shoes. TA has separated himself by a wide margin from the other QB's and that should be considered a good thing. Maybe he is what he is at this point and maybe he isn't, but, we won't know until the season unfolds.

As far as the other guys go, hopefully, we don't have to rely on them too much this year. Most of them are still very young and it's not always easy for young guys to get thrown into the mix right away. But, I wouldn't get your hopes up about the group markedly improving come mid-season. Once we get into game week and preparations, the focus shifts from being purely about getting better to beating your opponent while getting better.

Just curious, but aside from the spring game we haven't seen much of any of these guys. What will change by mid-season that makes you think they will become more talented than they are now, and what will we see as any evidence of it? Not being a jerk here, just curious on how you're making these assessments.

Honestly just the actual games themselves taking shape should help it click in their heads on what they are expected to do. Plus the extra fee weeks of learning more of the offense and watching it in real time should help.

All I can say is I would be less worried about the backups if I were in your shoes. TA has separated himself by a wide margin from the other QB's and that should be considered a good thing. Maybe he is what he is at this point and maybe he isn't, but, we won't know until the season unfolds.

As far as the other guys go, hopefully, we don't have to rely on them too much this year. Most of them are still very young and it's not always easy for young guys to get thrown into the mix right away. But, I wouldn't get your hopes up about the group markedly improving come mid-season. Once we get into game week and preparations, the focus shifts from being purely about getting better to beating your opponent while getting better.

Thats the thing, if TA has seperated himself by such a huge margin, what happens when we are forced into a situation where he is unavailable and it's on a backup to go in and start, or go in and win the game?

Thats the thing, if TA has seperated himself by such a huge margin, what happens when we are forced into a situation where he is unavailable and it's on a backup to go in and start, or go in and win the game?

At this point we'd probably be screwed. Then again if say Bush got in who knows. He could surprise everyone even himself. Or he could absolutely do the opposite. It sounds like Fyfe would be the next guy in line anyway. Totally don't know what to expect with Fyfe.