Camping Out: Quarterbacks

Just a guess here, but it's possible that Darlington was able to pick up Riley's offense very quickly in Spring practices. The kid is a coach's son and is known for his understanding of the playbook.

Then over the summer and into Fall Camp, Fyfe and Bush were able to get a better understanding and enough reps in the new offense. They were able to close the gap in understanding of the playbook, and were able to pass Darlington with their arm strength and overall athleticism.

Did Darlington attempt any deep passes in the spring game? I thought he looked good, but I don't remember the length of his throws.

His longest pass was a 29-yarder to Jamal Turner for a touchdown in the 2nd quarter. He was 3-3 on that drive, which was a 79-yard scoring drive. His overall stats were 7-11 for 70 yards and a touchdown. He certainly played well.

For all this talk of sample size, I truly do think that it means almost everything in this scenario. I don't think you can even say "nobody is disregarding sample size" because they clearly are. A lot of people appear to have built up an understanding that Darlington was at worst #3 due to one spring game, and at best #2 in some cases. You can throw in all the extraneous variables you want, like his background and possible football acumen.

But, the foundation of a lot of arguments appears to be what people expected following his spring game performance, and that's not fair or reasonable. I think The Dude is pretty spot on with his interpretation of this, and I think zoogs makes good points as well. It's pretty clear, at least to me, the narrative around Darlington is almost entirely based upon too much spring game love.

Just a guess here, but it's possible that Darlington was able to pick up Riley's offense very quickly in Spring practices. The kid is a coach's son and is known for his understanding of the playbook.

Then over the summer and into Fall Camp, Fyfe and Bush were able to get a better understanding and enough reps in the new offense. They were able to close the gap in understanding of the playbook, and were able to pass Darlington with their arm strength and overall athleticism.

Did Darlington attempt any deep passes in the spring game? I thought he looked good, but I don't remember the length of his throws.

His longest pass was a 29-yarder to Jamal Turner for a touchdown in the 2nd quarter. He was 3-3 on that drive, which was a 79-yard scoring drive. His overall stats were 7-11 for 70 yards and a touchdown. He certainly played well.

For all this talk of sample size, I truly do think that it means almost everything in this scenario. I don't think you can even say "nobody is disregarding sample size" because they clearly are. A lot of people appear to have built up an understanding that Darlington was at worst #3 due to one spring game, and at best #2 in some cases. You can throw in all the extraneous variables you want, like his background and possible football acumen.

But, the foundation of a lot of arguments appears to be what people expected following his spring game performance, and that's not fair or reasonable. I think The Dude is pretty spot on with his interpretation of this, and I think zoogs makes good points as well. It's pretty clear, at least to me, the narrative around Darlington is almost entirely based upon too much spring game love.

.... and a bunch of reports from the media that watched practice this fall.

I would say all of them have Bush #4 now as far as how they've executed their reps in practice\. The reports are Fyfe is getting the most reps so he would be definitely be #2 as far as the coaches are concerned. But they're saying that Darlington is not getting very many reps, but when he does, he's definitely looked better than Bush - though Bush seems to get a few more reps and thus would seem to be #3 - and it's all but indistinguishable between Darlington and Fyfe as far as who's looked better. Again, that's what basically all the media guys have said to some extent based on what they've seen.

But I think the consensus of the media is the coaches have TA-Fyfe-Bush-Darlington though it's tough to tell for sure on Bush/Darlington because neither has gotten a lot of reps, at least during the practices/part of practices that the media has gotten to see.

While we're at it, in case anybody wants a quick reference of where our opponents for the season rank:

4. Connor Cook, Michigan State

9. Christian Hackenberg, Penn State

10. Taysom Hill, BYU

11. Brad Kaaya, Miami

43. Wes Lunt, Illinois

61. Mitch Leidner, Minnesota

63. C.J. Beathard, Iowa

66. Cody Clements, Southern Alabama

76. Clayton Thorson, Northwestern

80. Joel Stave, Wisconsin

88. Hayden Rettig, Rutgers

100. Austin Appleby, Purdue

104. Nick Mullens, Southern Miss

So Armstrong is definitely above average among our competition.

• Fire 1

Christian Hackenberg:

55.8% Completion Percentage

2977 Yards Passing

93 rushing Attempts for -94 yards

12 Touchdowns

15 Interceptions

Tommy Armstrong Jr.:

53.3% Completion Percentage

2695 Yards Passing

145 Rushing Attempts for 705 yards

22 Touchdowns

12 Interceptions

Both of these players above are entering their Jr. seasons. One players is ranked #9 in the poll, the other is #37.

Which one, if you were judging blindly on their college football statistics thus far in their career, would you place above the other?

The disparity between the two of these players ranking is ridiculous. The entire poll means jack sh#t. They continually discredit themselves with this love affair for Hackenberg.

Now if you're gonna rate college quarterbacks, then rate college quarterbacks. If you're gonna rate fairyland predictions of who you think might be a star in the NFL someday, then label the poll as that. By the way, Hackenberg better step his game up because in my opinion, he wouldn't be too high in the fairyland poll either.

• Fire 1

Christian Hackenberg:

2977 Yards Passing

12 Touchdowns

15 Interceptions

Tommy Armstrong Jr.:

2695 Yards Passing

22 Touchdowns

12 Interceptions

Both of these players above are entering their Jr. seasons. One players is ranked #9 in the poll, the other is #37.

Which one, if you were judging blindly on their college football statistics thus far in their career, would you place above the other?

The disparity between the two of these players ranking is ridiculous. The entire poll means jack sh#t. They continually discredit themselves with this love affair for Hackenberg.

Now if you're gonna rate college quarterbacks, then rate college quarterbacks. If you're gonna rate fairyland predictions of who you think might be a star in the NFL someday, then label the poll as that. By the way, Hackenberg better step his game up because in my opinion, he wouldn't be too high in the fairyland poll either.

But, but, but...

He's got measurables and... stuff. He LOOKS like an NFL QB... therefore... he must be one.

Right?

• Fire 1

Christian Hackenberg:

2977 Yards Passing

12 Touchdowns

15 Interceptions

Tommy Armstrong Jr.:

2695 Yards Passing

22 Touchdowns

12 Interceptions

I think they rate Hackenberg higher because of his overall stats from his Fr. & So. years and his potential. He was pretty damn good as a True Freshman.

Christian Hackenberg:

2977 Yards Passing

12 Touchdowns

15 Interceptions

Tommy Armstrong Jr.:

2695 Yards Passing

22 Touchdowns

12 Interceptions

I didn't get into specifics about any of the rankings in my post, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that Hackenberg was WAY overrated.

• Fire 1

While we're at it, in case anybody wants a quick reference of where our opponents for the season rank:

4. Connor Cook, Michigan State

9. Christian Hackenberg, Penn State

10. Taysom Hill, BYU

11. Brad Kaaya, Miami

43. Wes Lunt, Illinois

61. Mitch Leidner, Minnesota

63. C.J. Beathard, Iowa

66. Cody Clements, Southern Alabama

76. Clayton Thorson, Northwestern

80. Joel Stave, Wisconsin

88. Hayden Rettig, Rutgers

100. Austin Appleby, Purdue

104. Nick Mullens, Southern Miss

So Armstrong is definitely above average among our competition.

Stave is #80??? Wow.

If that's the case, I hope he doesn't get hurt before we play him.