Most Important Trophy Game

Redux

Which trophy is your favorite?  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

D - None of the above

They got way ahead of themselves with these "rivalry" and trophy games. It's all so transparently artificial, and nobody really cares about them. The Wisconsin game will be a rivalry if we ever start beating them. Iowa won't be unless either of us starts competing for the division anytime soon. If they don't, playing Iowa is no different than playing Purdue - and there's no trumped-up trophy for that game.

Give Faux Pelini credit. He did a good job of skewering the artificiality of these trophy games and actually came up with something funny. And, it's against a team that we've been playing evenly-matched games with since joining the Big Ten. Turns out, the $5 bits of broken chair trophy was a collaborative effort from Chucky McChuckles the Minnesota mascot, Faux Pelini, and reddit.

We need a trophy for the Northwestern game. I believe someone suggested The Battle for NU a few years back.

Are you asking about the actual trophy itself? Or which game we want to win the most?

I like the bell trophy the best. But I want to beat Wisconsin most of all.

Edited OP for clarity.

Thanks!

I edited my vote accordingly. :lol:

D - None of the above

They got way ahead of themselves with these "rivalry" and trophy games. It's all so transparently artificial, and nobody really cares about them. The Wisconsin game will be a rivalry if we ever start beating them. Iowa won't be unless either of us starts competing for the division anytime soon. If they don't, playing Iowa is no different than playing Purdue - and there's no trumped-up trophy for that game.

Give Faux Pelini credit. He did a good job of skewering the artificiality of these trophy games and actually came up with something funny. And, it's against a team that we've been playing evenly-matched games with since joining the Big Ten.

We need a trophy for the Northwestern game. I believe someone suggested The Battle for NU a few years back.

While I agree that the conference jumped the gun on Iowa and Wiscy, I think the Minny series is acceptable by rivalry standards.

While its true Minny already has several established rivalries and trophies to contend for, we do hold a long historocal series with them. Not only that but the trophy in this game was fan/team made which follows along more so than the 2 fabricated by the league.

Oh, well, I voted before really understanding the question. Which, is still pretty open ended. I voted the trophy with Wisconsin because that will be the most valuable victory. I changed my vote after I wrote what I wrote.

However, I love the broken chair, because of how it began. It was a joke started on twitter. Kind of the way any 21st century trophy should start, if you ask me. It's the first truly "viral" trophy (that sounds terrible without knowing it's from the internet). Started on twitter. Designed on Reddit.

The trophy wasn't forced upon our two teams like the Iowa and Wisconsin trophies. There probably will not be any "real" pride in winning it, but I imagine the players having a blast carrying the thing after the victory as if it was a championship trophy. It's the kind of fun that is needed in sports. Especially at the collegiate level.

D - None of the above

Give Faux Pelini credit. He did a good job of skewering the artificiality of these trophy games and actually came up with something funny. And, it's against a team that we've been playing evenly-matched games with since joining the Big Ten.

While I agree that the conference jumped the gun on Iowa and Wiscy, I think the Minny series is acceptable by rivalry standards.

While its true Minny already has several established rivalries and trophies to contend for, we do hold a long historocal series with them. Not only that but the trophy in this game was fan/team made which follows along more so than the 2 fabricated by the league.

I edited my post, probably while you were typing this. I'm on board with a Minnesota rivalry. The series so far, even only including recent history, seems rivalry-esque. Same for Northwestern.