Camping Out: Defensive Line

Apparently McMullen reported for camp at 308 pounds. He's listed at 280 on the roster. Safe to say he needs to drop a couple (dozen) in the next couple weeks.

Yeah I thought he looked more like a DT than a DE in one of the pictures from day 1 of camp.

See, this must be on purpose. I am thinking they were okay with coming to camp heavy and cutting the weight because if not it goes against all the things we have heard about S and C so far.

Been/am skeptical of Gangwish but I am rooting 110% for the dude.

Dan Hoppen@danhoppen 1m1 minute ago

Jack Gangwish looked great tonight. He won several battles with Alex Lewis. His pass-rush moves seem much more refined.

I also have been skeptical with Gangwish. Hopefully he can have a good year, and provide needed pass rush. I worry that teams won't have to worry about double-teaming our rush ends like they had to with Gregory last year. Hopefully Gangwish can make teams pay if they shift focus to Collins and Valentine.

Someone up front is going to need double teamed consistently. But here is the thing.

People need to understand that sometimes, just because a DLineman gets double teamed and the other guys don't "make them pay" isn't always due to ability. It's playcall.

Apparently McMullen reported for camp at 308 pounds. He's listed at 280 on the roster. Safe to say he needs to drop a couple (dozen) in the next couple weeks.

Worrisome to me.

Yup. Not a fan of DT-sized D-ends. Seems we bulk up our DEs once every few years and they lose all mobility.

Conversly, not a fan of DE-sized DTs *cough* Merideth *cough*

Sam's take after watching a couple practices

Defensive line: Maliek Collins is the best player on the team, Jack Gangwish has given at least as good as he's received from Alex Lewis, and Greg McMullen, while a little large, still anchors down the other end spot. With Vincent Valentine missing the first four practices of camp, Kevin Williams has worked with the top unit and he's looked good. Williams is better against the run than the pass, perhaps, but he and Collins have made a propulsive duo. Williams will play plenty this year.

Behind that group are eight freshmen - four true and four redshirt. Before fans get too worked up about defensive line recruiting for the 2016 class, remember that. The true freshman, none of whom may play this year, all look good. Alex Davis has put on good weight, and he whipped around freshman offensive lineman Christian Gaylord with ease in a pass-blocking drill. DaiShon Neal weighs 270 pounds, carries it well, and holds his own physically. The Davis Twins - Carlos and Khalil - definitely fit in, and they bring a lot of spunk to their reps. They're not as far along, at least in my amateur read, as Collins was in 2013.

Among redshirt freshmen, Freedom Akinmoladun and Mick Stoltenberg are probably making the most progress - Stoltenberg is nearly as big as McMullen and, unlike McMullen, playing inside - while Peyton Newell and Sedrick King are battling for second and third-team reps. Another defensive tackle, junior Kevin Maurice, is a second-team defensive tackle.

Walk-on end Ross Dzuris is backing up Gangwish and doing well.

Nebraska does not have a true pass rushing end unless it's Alex Davis, who may be a year away. He's impressive for having playing just one year of football, though.

Couple jabs at McMullen's extra poundage

• Fire 1

Jack Gangwish looked great tonight. He won several battles with Alex Lewis. His pass-rush moves seem much more refined.

I also have been skeptical with Gangwish. Hopefully he can have a good year, and provide needed pass rush. I worry that teams won't have to worry about double-teaming our rush ends like they had to with Gregory last year. Hopefully Gangwish can make teams pay if they shift focus to Collins and Valentine.

Someone up front is going to need double teamed consistently. But here is the thing.

People need to understand that sometimes, just because a DLineman gets double teamed and the other guys don't "make them pay" isn't always due to ability. It's playcall.

I understand that offenses double-team different players depending on the play-call and that d-linemen aren't out there to make a play on every snap.

However, if people don't think that NU had a big advantage when Gregory was out there last year, then they are fooling themselves. I know Gregory may not have been in great shape, battled injuries, or didn't show a ton of interest, but offenses had to account for him when he was on the field. Having Gregory on the field, made it easier for the other guys. Plus, if you watch highlights from Miami and Michigan State, Gregory took over at times last year. Other than Collins, I don't think NU has a guy like that on the d-line.

I understand that offenses double-team different players depending on the play-call and that d-linemen aren't out there to make a play on every snap.

However, if people don't think that NU had a big advantage when Gregory was out there last year, then they are fooling themselves. I know Gregory may not have been in great shape, battled injuries, or didn't show a ton of interest, but offenses had to account for him when he was on the field. Having Gregory on the field, made it easier for the other guys. Plus, if you watch highlights from Miami and Michigan State, Gregory took over at times last year. Other than Collins, I don't think NU has a guy like that on the d-line.

Ya, I understand that. Although in my opinion and in some others (opinions) I've talked to in person, Gregory, for as many plays as he made, he took 3-4 off. That guy, regardless of his injuries was pretty underwhelming last year. Honestly don't see him being very good in the NFL either. Glad he spent his time at NU, but he was more about himself than the team.

If you guys don't think we will miss Gregory this year, I recommend you watch this video.

Great video. Gregory was/is a beast.

It's a little bit of both as far as how much we'll "miss" him this year. Games like the Miami game, he was a monster. But he also didn't play at all in three games and either missed parts of games or was slowed in several others. So he didn't have as big of an effect on as many games as he could have.

If you guys don't think we will miss Gregory this year, I recommend you watch this video.

It's a little bit of both as far as how much we'll "miss" him this year. Games like the Miami game, he was a monster. But he also didn't play at all in three games and either missed parts of games or was slowed in several others. So he didn't have as big of an effect on as many games as he could have.

Yes, and NU struggled in games in which he wasn't able to play. Gregory won't be able to play in any games this year.

I think Rush End could be a problem position for NU this year. Yes, the scheme will be different and probably more aggressive. But, I am not a fan of "big, slow" DE's. The rush end may be more more aggressive, but it won't matter if the rush end isn't fast enough to get to the QB.

Yes, and NU struggled in games in which he wasn't able to play. Gregory won't be able to play in any games this year.

I think Rush End could be a problem position for NU this year. Yes, the scheme will be different and probably more aggressive. But, I am not a fan of "big, slow" DE's. The rush end may be more more aggressive, but it won't matter if the rush end isn't fast enough to get to the QB.

Don't get me wrong, I love Gregory and think he was a great player. My point is we already "lost" a decent amount of his production last year so it's not as big of a drop-off as it may seem.