Camping Out: Defensive Line

Gangwish - VV - Williams - Collins

I DARE you to block them.

I also think a big part of this is an attempt to spread VV and Collins out. Ideally, offenses would like to double team them both. What normally happens is the OG's each take one and the center is free to help out on the one who happens to be winning the battle more handily that play. But by putting VV and Collins spread out, you can essentially completely eliminate the help on one of them. Offenses will have to choose to go with a one-on-one with either Collins or VV. Ouch, I'm sorry for your QB.

• Fire 1

I also think a big part of this is an attempt to spread VV and Collins out. Ideally, offenses would like to double team them both. What normally happens is the OG's each take one and the center is free to help out on the one who happens to be winning the battle more handily that play. But by putting VV and Collins spread out, you can essentially completely eliminate the help on one of them. Offenses will have to choose to go with a one-on-one with either Collins or VV. Ouch, I'm sorry for your QB.

I like that line but McMullen is no slouch either

Yeah, McMullen is the starter at the other DE. I think they gave Williams a Blackshirt because he will play plenty as part of the d-line rotation.

McMullen is quite good as well, but IIRC, he is more of a force against the rush than known for his pass rushing prowess.

Watch the Minnesota game again. Why Minnesota started running at Gregory later in the game is anybody's guess. They were having their way with McMullen.

It wasn't even so much McMullen being dominated physically, it was him running himself out of multiple plays. Gave up the outside multiple times.

We need more from McMullen this year.

There's certainly some room for improvement, but McMullen had a solid sophomore year.

2014 (Sophomore)

McMullen started all 13 games and had 47 tackles, including 20 solo stops, while ranking third on the team with 4.0 sacks for 31 yards. He added nine tackles for loss, 10 quarterback hurries and broke up four passes. McMullen had at least four tackles six times, including a career-high nine stops against McNeese State.

Yea not to sound too harsh on the guy. I've just got a belief that this defensive line could be a pretty good group. Just need some more consistency on the ends. One weak link on this defensive line could end up being the spot other teams target. Opponents will work hard to determine where that weak link is and McMullens tendency to chase plays inside was something I saw a lot from him last year. Got to trust the guys behind you to do their job, and you do yours.

Overall, with a little more consistency, I don't have any worries about this defensive line. It should be a highlight of the season watching those guys wreak havoc.