The Repub Debate

Once again, no one said anything about torturing innocent people. You said that, not me.

It has been explained to you that you do not know who the bad guys are. You can persist in this Pollyanna-esque belief that the only people being tortured are bad, but that is not and has never been the case.

Do you think we have the Keystone Cops and Frank Drebin on the cases?

Once again, no one said anything about torturing innocent people. You said that, not me.

You support the idea that we should "go after" the friends and family of terrorists. So anyone a terrorist cares for can also be tortured. No one a terrorist cares for can be innocent, right? By this logic no one that an evil person cares for is innocent, even if they don't return the affection. You're clearly not seeing that this could be taken further and further until anyone could potentially be tortured. Either because you don't know how to read or you're unable to process what you're reading.

On the torture of innocent people by the United States:

www.nytimes.com/2014/12/13/us/politics/amid-details-on-torture-data-on-26-held-in-error-.html?_r=0

So do you believe we should also outlaw life prison sentences, the death penalty, etc. because there have been people wrongly convicted?

www.nytimes.com/2014/12/13/us/politics/amid-details-on-torture-data-on-26-held-in-error-.html?_r=0

So do you believe we should also outlaw life prison sentences, the death penalty, etc. because there have been people wrongly convicted?

Imprisonment and abject torture are such different things that an opinion on one cannot be construed as an opinion on another. That is among the weakest of correlations.

A life sentence isn't closely related to torturing someone. And why would it be surprising or terrible if he's against the death penalty?

The philosophy I have is that if I'm not willing to do it myself I don't think my government should do it. If we can capture people who do horrible things then that's the priority. If we absolutely have to (i.e. we can't capture them), then kill them. People in jail have been captured and don't absolutely have to be killed, therefore I'm against the death penalty. It's also expensive, apparently.

You support the idea that we should "go after" the friends and family of terrorists. So anyone a terrorist cares for can also be tortured. No one a terrorist cares for can be innocent, right? By this logic no one that an evil person cares for is innocent, even if they don't return the affection. You're clearly not seeing that this could be taken further and further until anyone could potentially be tortured. Either because you don't know how to read or you're unable to process what you're reading.

You are coming across as just a tad bit rude.

Someone not agreeing with you is probably not a reason for your last sentence.

And you constantly come off as obnoxious when you disagree with someone and can only resort to sarcasm.

• Fire 1

So....let's see....you have a person who was captured, put through the best that we have of a legal system, convicted by a group of his peers....but...a mistake was made and he/she has the ability to appeal or do what ever it takes still to try to get out. Meanwhile, there are rules on how the prisoners are to be treated humanely.

Compare that to a group of soldiers or CIA that has the ability to take whomever they think can get them the information they need and torture them in however they see fit to the point of maybe even killing them.

And...I'm supposed to equate these somehow?

And BTW.....I am not in favor of the death penalty. Not because of some great moral issue. It costs too much, we have killed innocent people and it makes the ones we have killed even more famous.

Pot, meet kettle.

This thread keeps getting better!

Hey...the most important thing is that terrorists are treated with respect and give cold milk and warm cookies!

(Who will be the first to think this is serious)

Do you think we have the Keystone Cops and Frank Drebin on the cases?

You don't like Trumps wife?

Shoot...who was the Ron that did that public access show in Lincoln...Long grayish hair?

And you constantly come off as obnoxious when you disagree with someone and can only resort to sarcasm.

The reason for sarcasm in this case is because it's somewhat pointless to argue with people whose minds are made up and are grasping at illogical reasons to be against something.

To your most recent point that "if I'm not willing to do it myself I don't think my government should do it":

I don't know you in order to pick that one apart, so I'll use myself.

Could I torture a terrorist myself in order to attempt to extract information? Probably not. But there are people who would, and that info could be extremely useful and save a lot of lives.

Could I shoot someone in war and feel good about it? I don't think so. I think I'd have nightmares about it for the rest of my life. But I'm glad there are people willing to do it so we can all live a free life.

If everyone used the logic "I only want the government to do what I'd be willing to do", there would be an enormous and riculous range of peoples' opinion of morality that it would be scary..... Which apparently there is.