The Repub Debate

I'd hope that people that support Ted Cruz have seen through his completely fake facade by now. The rest of the candidates in the debate from yesterday all called him out that he says whatever he thinks will get him votes. He's the biggest politician in the race, and I mean that in the worst way possible.

Rubio had himself a nice debate. By far his strongest performance IMO. I thought the same about Jeb, and that's saying something coming from me, because I've been very critical of him. I particularly like that he openly disagreed with his brother (George W)'s actions.

Trump, while he had a somewhat rocky night, still impresses me. He's the only one who will stand up for what he says (most of which he's completely right about). A lot of people are turned off by him because he basically calls people idiots when they have idiotic opinions, but that's something that I've been waiting for honestly. It's controversial, but something that needed to happen. He also had to answer some tough questions about his integrity and behavior, which I thought he handled very well. He talked about it without becoming defensive, and he took responsibility for his abusive language.

Another one that impressed was Ben Carson. He probably got more camera time than in any other previous debate, and he made some tremendous points. I wish he would assert himself more, because I think he'd blow Cruz away.

Bush is out. But nationally he only had 5.4% of the predicted vote. If that all goes to Cruz, Trump has an 8.2% lead. If it all goes to Rubio, Trump has a 12.8% lead. Going by:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/2016_republican_presidential_nomination-3823.html

If Kasich and Carson ever drop out I believe most of their votes would go to Cruz or Rubio. I assume every Republican who votes for Trump in the primaries has already decided on him by now. General election is different. Even people who hate him might vote for him if they think he's less bad than Clinton.

Bush is out. But nationally he only had 5.4% of the predicted vote. If that all goes to Cruz, Trump has an 8.2% lead. If it all goes to Rubio, Trump has a 12.8% lead. Going by:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/2016_republican_presidential_nomination-3823.html

If Kasich and Carson ever drop out I believe most of their votes would go to Cruz or Rubio. I assume every Republican who votes for Trump in the primaries has already decided on him by now. General election is different. Even people who hate him might vote for him if they think he's less bad than Clinton.

At the end of today's vote, Trump will have won SC by 10 points...much less than the 15-20 point lead he had just a week or two ago. So Trump still is in control, but I do think he underperformed in SC, as did Cruz, and Rubio (and perhaps Kasich) overperformed. With Bush out, 75% of the votes will go to Rubio once the dust settles between those two, and the other 25% might go to Kasich if he remains in the race.

As you look out ahead, Cruz is in the most trouble of the remaining top 3. Starting on March 15, the GOP begins to implement winner-take-all states, and none of those states are ones Cruz would be likely to win. In fact, more of those favor Rubio than Trump. So Trump will have a good delegate lead through middle of March, then I see it starting to trend toward Rubio. If Cruz stays in the race long enough, it could be that nobody gets enough delegates and its decided at the convention.

At the end of today's vote, Trump will have won SC by 10 points...much less than the 15-20 point lead he had just a week or two ago. So Trump still is in control, but I do think he underperformed in SC, as did Cruz, and Rubio (and perhaps Kasich) overperformed. With Bush out, 75% of the votes will go to Rubio once the dust settles between those two, and the other 25% might go to Kasich if he remains in the race.

As you look out ahead, Cruz is in the most trouble of the remaining top 3. Starting on March 15, the GOP begins to implement winner-take-all states, and none of those states are ones Cruz would be likely to win. In fact, more of those favor Rubio than Trump. So Trump will have a good delegate lead through middle of March, then I see it starting to trend toward Rubio. If Cruz stays in the race long enough, it could be that nobody gets enough delegates and its decided at the convention.

How does that work? Do they kinda lobby for delegates to change their minds and then revote at the convention?

It's funny. I want Rubio to win because I don't want there to be any chance of Trump becoming president. But I don't want Rubio to win because I don't want a Republican to win and he has the best chance out of anyone. He says lots of things I don't agree with but he's not batsh#t crazy like Trump and Cruz both are (imo).

How does that work? Do they kinda lobby for delegates to change their minds and then revote at the convention?

It's funny. I want Rubio to win because I don't want there to be any chance of Trump becoming president. But I don't want Rubio to win because I don't want a Republican to win and he has the best chance out of anyone. He says lots of things I don't agree with but he's not batsh#t crazy like Trump and Cruz both are (imo).

Rubio is my guy all the way, and has been from the start. I like his charisma, optimism, and inclusiveness that he brings to the table. I can see why Dems are scared of him and what he brings to the table. Plus, he is about the only candidate that did not grow up with privilege.

As for the delegate process, I'm not an expert, but believe if no candidate gets to 1237, some candidates who have dropped out can encourage their delegates to support one of the remaining candidates. But with Cruz, Rubio, and Trump, they may all be around 25-40% and none could drop out. Thus, I think there is an actual vote on the floor of the convention that can take quite a bit of time, and it may be that the top 2 vote getters after the first round square off if nobody gets over 50% the first round.

Trump is more outrageous, but I challenge the idea that Rubio is a moderate. He has polish. He's young, handsome, and speaks well. To be a moderate would require a significant pivot on his part.

I don't think Rubio is a moderate...he's a mainstream conservative meaning he still have conservative views but is able to reach across to independents with his message. With that said, I would say he's way closer to center than say Obama or Hillary are on the Democratic side. Obama is about as far left as Ted Cruz is on the right, and Hillary is pushing to go even further left than Obama on every issue except for foreign policy.

Trump is more outrageous, but I challenge the idea that Rubio is a moderate. He has polish. He's young, handsome, and speaks well. To be a moderate would require a significant pivot on his part.

Handsome...I keep hearing this...how is Rubio handsome? I don't get it at all...

I supposed he is the most handsome out of all the others (with the exception of Clinton) but is that really saying much?

And I am not a dude that is afraid to admit other dudes are hot...Zac Efron is handsome...Brad Pitt is handsome...James Franco is a good looking guy...those Aussie brothers are handsome...but Rubio?

Handsome...I keep hearing this...how is Rubio handsome? I don't get it at all...

I supposed he is the most handsome out of all the others (with the exception of Clinton) but is that really saying much?

And I am not a dude that is afraid to admit other dudes are hot...Zac Efron is handsome...Brad Pitt is handsome...James Franco is a good looking guy...those Aussie brothers are handsome...but Rubio?

The reason you don't get it is because your definition of handsome isn't the same as most people's. Brad Pitt is not handsome. He's smoking, just want to stare at him for hours, hot. I see handsome guys every day. I don't see Brad-Pitt-looking guys every day.

Rubio would rank top 3 in a most handsome presidents list (Kennedy, Obama, honorable mention: Reagan) if he was elected. Brad Pitt would be in his own category.

I'm so glad I'm talking about this. (I never thought Clinton was handsome)

The reason you don't get it is because your definition of handsome isn't the same as most people's. Brad Pitt is not handsome. He's smoking, just want to stare at him for hours, hot. I see handsome guys every day. I don't see Brad-Pitt-looking guys every day.

Rubio would rank top 3 in a most handsome presidents list (Kennedy, Obama, honorable mention: Reagan) if he was elected. Brad Pitt would be in his own category.

I'm so glad I'm talking about this. (I never thought Clinton was handsome)

Interesting, you might have a good point. I might have been setting the bar a bit high.

I don't think Rubio is a moderate...he's a mainstream conservative meaning he still have conservative views but is able to reach across to independents with his message. With that said, I would say he's way closer to center than say Obama or Hillary are on the Democratic side. Obama is about as far left as Ted Cruz is on the right, and Hillary is pushing to go even further left than Obama on every issue except for foreign policy.

Do you have any evidence to back that up? Obama has won two elections against moderate Republicans while Cruz appears to be too conservative to even win the Republican nomination.

• Fire 3

Do you have any evidence to back that up? Obama has won two elections against moderate Republicans while Cruz appears to be too conservative to even win the Republican nomination.

Obama won against one inept Republican (McCain) and a compliant press that didn't look into his background - they had that 'tingle up their legs'. This after Bush fatigue and the crash of 2008. No way a republican was going to win. He won again against a more competent candidate in Romney who was a terrible campaigner. A real lost opportunity against a weak sitting president.