The Repub Debate

Getting an STD does not make that person at fault necessarily. Not even close.Regardless, there are people who will be in need of care. Do we deny them access to it on the grounds that they don't deserve it? That's not the America I know.As a legal maneuver what is happening in Ohio is not an uncommon tactic, and it has not always been like this. It is effective and purposeful restriction of access -- disproportionately affecting the less wealthy. Step outside the theoretical and you are talking about real people whose options are reduced, because other people and politicians either don't care, or want it that way. In first world, leader of the free world United States of America. In 2016.

It's a slippery slope, no doubt. However, it's not as if defunding PP is enacted without a legitimate agenda here. It's with the intent of limiting, if not eliminating abortion in this country. Now, we can sit here all day and discuss how terrible it is to deny people (poor people) rights to services that they need, but if your willing to advocate for their rights, then surely you can understand those standing for the rights of unborn lives. Defunding PP has its consequences, but it goes a long way in accomplishing it's goal of saving lives as well.

• Fire 1

Abortion is a tricky issue, I know. Personally I feel privileged enough that it well very likely never, ever be an issue that even comes up for me -- for a variety of reasons. A great deal of that is financial security. Another good part of it is being male.

However, that isn't true for everyone. And in the early stages of pregnancy I strongly feel a woman should have agency, too. A huge number of women who seek abortions are under extreme financial duress. These often impoverished, often single (or at least unmarried), many of whom are already mothers, are also more likely to get pregnant while not trying to compared to people who are at least decently well off. A lot of that could be the reach of sexual education, particularly about contraceptives (as well as their affordability and access, which the same groups are also trying to cut.) It's an incredible, ugly cycle that does not end with the state extending more care and resources for these children after birth. I hope that most women would choose to carry their baby to term, but I cannot presume to say they must or even if it is good for their own lives at that time. That's a deeply personal matter and many people are facing a very different set of factors than I would be, where it'd be a comfortable and easy answer for me.

A woman's right to abortion is established law in America. Perhaps one day it legally won't be. In the meantime efforts to effectively make it impossible for that right to be exercised hurt in overwhelming disproportion the most helpless among us. Their lives, freedoms, and choices matter, too, and deserve protection rather than state control.

There isn't that much evidence showing that Trump is smart, imo. So yes it can definitely be argued.

It's been shown again and again that his wealth wasn't that hard to come by considering how he started, and he's filed for bankruptcy/been bailed out multiple times.

trump-vs-other-billionaires.png

To B.B., who mocked someone for comparing him to other billionaires, who else is there to compare him to?

Someone who started out with nothing to their name becoming a millionaire is more impressive and shows more ability than someone with $200 million becoming a billionaire.

But if you compare the millionaire to the billionaire based only on wealth then the millionaire is considered poor. The latter comparison is stupid and meaningless unless both started out with the same amount of $.

Trump honestly scares me. I feel like he's the type if he gets elected he will do anything/everything he can to get revenge on anyone who slighted him or who he perceives slighted him in the least. He's a child.

He's decided now that he's not sure it's legal for Rubio to run, even though he has previously said of course it's legal. He keeps claiming he's not racist but we've now had 3 politicians who are either non white or have non white last names who he's either said can't/shouldn't be president or implied it about them.

I don't know if anyone cares, but I have my bachelor's in neuroscience, a great deal of which involved psychology coursework. I've a very, very strong inkling that Trump is has an undiagnosed case of narcissistic personality disorder. Here's the list of symptoms from the latest DSM, if anyone's interested.

I can't ascertain how much of this is just an act, but they're literally all there. Right down to the intimacy ones with his multiple wives.

• Fire 1

Trump's turn towards Rubio is calculated. He knows he doesn't have the most...intelligent of followings. So he'll retweet or quote dumb (or offensive) things people say [Cruz is a puss, Meghan Kelly is a bimbo], etc, because apparently this actually works for him.

With Bush dropping out the Republicans who don't like Trump or Cruz have started coalescing around Rubio. This is much more likely to continue than a Kasich or Carson turnaround. Rubio may be his most serious challenger even, above Cruz.

So, now it's time for Trump to turn his attention to attacking Rubio. I wouldn't be shocked if he fails at this. But I wouldn't be shocked if he succeeds either.

Getting an STD does not make that person at fault necessarily. Not even close.Regardless, there are people who will be in need of care. Do we deny them access to it on the grounds that they don't deserve it? That's not the America I know.As a legal maneuver what is happening in Ohio is not an uncommon tactic, and it has not always been like this. It is effective and purposeful restriction of access -- disproportionately affecting the less wealthy. Step outside the theoretical and you are talking about real people whose options are reduced, because other people and politicians either don't care, or want it that way. In first world, leader of the free world United States of America. In 2016.

It's a slippery slope, no doubt. However, it's not as if defunding PP is enacted without a legitimate agenda here. It's with the intent of limiting, if not eliminating abortion in this country. Now, we can sit here all day and discuss how terrible it is to deny people (poor people) rights to services that they need, but if your willing to advocate for their rights, then surely you can understand those standing for the rights of unborn lives. Defunding PP has its consequences, but it goes a long way in accomplishing it's goal of saving lives as well.

Probably the best way to cut down on the amount of abortions is by providing easy access to birth control. PP is one of the few places that does this for low-income families. Evidence from Texas indicates that cutting funding to PP leads to a rise in pregnancies among low-income families. Link

• Fire 3

Trump honestly scares me. I feel like he's the type if he gets elected he will do anything/everything he can to get revenge on anyone who slighted him or who he perceives slighted him in the least. He's a child.

He's decided now that he's not sure it's legal for Rubio to run, even though he has previously said of course it's legal. He keeps claiming he's not racist but we've now had 3 politicians who are either non white or have non white last names who he's either said can't/shouldn't be president or implied it about them.

Admittedly, I could be wrong here, but I don't think that Trump is the quite the loose cannon that he appears to be. He's incredibly smart. There is no arguing that point. You don't get to where he is in life by being stupid, and completely unhinged.... I think he's incredibly detailed in his approach during his campaign. The evidence is there, he's playing his supporters like a fiddle, and completely dictating the direction of this race for the Republican nomination....

Having said that, I'd much rather see Kasich, or Carson win the nomination....

He's not that smart. You can get to where he is by inheriting wealth, surrounding yourself with smart people, going through 4 bankruptcies, and most ironic of all; trouncing all over the common folk.

I disagree. One common quality of a 'smart' businessman is to surround himself with other smart people. He came from wealth, yes, but he has significantly increased his wealth over time through his own business ventures, and investments. I think you're greatly underestimating how difficult it is to become as rich as Trump....You could argue he's ruthless (and you'd be right). You could argue he shouldn't be involved in politics (you might be right there as well). But I don't know how you can try and argue with a straight face that the man isn't intelligent. Read up on the guy. Look past this 'act' he's putting on while pandering to the angst of republicans all across the country. The man knows exactly what he's doing, as he usually does.

I think you are greatly underestimating how easy it is to maintain and grow wealth when you've been handed it. Granted it's just as easy to blow it all, so I guess there's some smarts there. But Trump is a moron. Even before Q posted it I was going to say men like Gates, Buffet, Jobs; those are smart men.

There isn't that much evidence showing that Trump is smart, imo. So yes it can definitely be argued.

It's been shown again and again that his wealth wasn't that hard to come by considering how he started, and he's filed for bankruptcy/been bailed out multiple times.trump-vs-other-billionaires.png

To B.B., who mocked someone for comparing him to other billionaires, who else is there to compare him to?

Someone who started out with nothing to their name becoming a millionaire is more impressive and shows more ability than someone with $200 million becoming a billionaire.

But if you compare the millionaire to the billionaire based only on wealth then the millionaire is considered poor. The latter comparison is stupid and meaningless unless both started out with the same amount of $.

This has ended up with me defending Trump way more than I initially intended. I wasn't arguing that Trump was the best businessman out there. I certainly am not advocating that he be deemed the smartest man alive. All I was initially trying to point out was that under the over-the-top public persona, there is an underlying intelligence. As someone pointed out earlier (zoogs maybe), his supporters aren't considered the 'brightest' and he is brilliantly playing to their fears, and completely dictating this election... Has he failed at times in business? Sure, but most successful people have. One definitive reason for his lack of wealth growth has been his extreme conservatism with investment over the past decade or so. Not the only reason I'm sure, but 'one' reason nonetheless. Again, I'm not a Trump guy, even though I've come to his defense on this thread. I just think he's more detailed, and his actions are more premeditated then he gets credit for...
  • Fire 1

It's been shown again and again that his wealth wasn't that hard to come by considering how he started, and he's filed for bankruptcy/been bailed out multiple times.

This has ended up with me defending Trump way more than I initially intended. I wasn't arguing that Trump was the best businessman out there. I certainly am not advocating that he be deemed the smartest man alive. All I was initially trying to point out was that under the over-the-top public persona, there is an underlying intelligence. As someone pointed out earlier (zoogs maybe), his supporters aren't considered the 'brightest' and he is brilliantly playing to there fears, and completely dictating this election... Has he failed at times in business? Sure, but most successful people have. One definitive reason for his lack of wealth growth has been his extreme conservatism with investment over the past decade or so. Not the only reason I'm sure, but 'one' reason nonetheless. Again, I'm not a Trump guy, even though I've come to his defense on this thread. I just think he's more detailed, and his actions are more premeditated then he gets credit for...

K. I go back and forth between thinking he's a moron and thinking he's some kind of evil genius.

Admittedly, I could be wrong here, but I don't think that Trump is the quite the loose cannon that he appears to be. He's incredibly smart. There is no arguing that point. You don't get to where he is in life by being stupid, and completely unhinged.... I think he's incredibly detailed in his approach during his campaign. The evidence is there, he's playing his supporters like a fiddle, and completely dictating the direction of this race for the Republican nomination....

He's not that smart. You can get to where he is by inheriting wealth, surrounding yourself with smart people, going through 4 bankruptcies, and most ironic of all; trouncing all over the common folk.

I disagree. One common quality of a 'smart' businessman is to surround himself with other smart people. He came from wealth, yes, but he has significantly increased his wealth over time through his own business ventures, and investments. I think you're greatly underestimating how difficult it is to become as rich as Trump....You could argue he's ruthless (and you'd be right). You could argue he shouldn't be involved in politics (you might be right there as well). But I don't know how you can try and argue with a straight face that the man isn't intelligent. Read up on the guy. Look past this 'act' he's putting on while pandering to the angst of republicans all across the country. The man knows exactly what he's doing, as he usually does.

I think you are greatly underestimating how easy it is to maintain and grow wealth when you've been handed it. Granted it's just as easy to blow it all, so I guess there's some smarts there. But Trump is a moron. Even before Q posted it I was going to say men like Gates, Buffet, Jobs; those are smart men.

Unless you are a lotto winner...or play in the NBA. Those dudes burn through it!

"He's an 'African' American. He was, you know, raised white. Many of his formative years were spent in Indonesia. So, for him to, you know, claim that, you know, he identifies with the experience of black Americans, I think, is a bit of a stretch," the retired neurosurgeon told Politico's Glenn Thrush on his "Off Message" podcast aired Tuesday.

Is there a word for the opposite of a polymath? Carson was good at one thing but says a lot of stupid things about everything else. He's basically judging Obama for not being Black enough.

I'm glad dudeguyy posted. In my layman perspective, Trump fits all the criteria for NPD.

Glad you're interested, Landlord. There's a "Goldwater rule" that ordinarily prohibits mental health professionals from making such speculations without personally examining the patient and getting a real read on the state of the mental health.

After all, Trump could just be acting.

But he's so over the top that said rule hasn't stopped a variety of mental health professionals from speculating anyway.

Hmmm... that's funny, for it being so easy to accomplish, you'd think that more people would achieve the financial success that he has. Fact is, it's not easy. To get to where he is, a person has to read a library of books and gain a financial literacy that most people can't even fathom. Trump knows more about money than everyone on this board combined, and that's how he's built his empire.

Poor people like to dismiss financial success of people like Trump, but the fact is, he got to where he is because of a lot of factors, the least of which being that he inherited lots of money. If the average person inherited the money that he did, they'd simply spend it until it's gone and leave nothing behind. Instead, he used it to build something great to pass on to his kids, all while people who don't understand how he did it and what he had to go through to do it stand on the sideline and throw stones. Ridiculous.