The Repub Debate

Does this make anyone else uncomfortable? What he is basically saying is, if you spend money against me, I will drag you through the mud and make your life miserable.

There is something about that that is simply just wrong.

I hope you realize that he exposes peoples' lies like no one else. In turn, that leaves him susceptible to a counter-attack from other candidates, and the only response anyone can seem to muster against Trump is "He's so rude!" Gimme a break.

Does this make anyone else uncomfortable? What he is basically saying is, if you spend money against me, I will drag you through the mud and make your life miserable.

I hope you realize that he exposes peoples' lies like no one else. In turn, that leaves him susceptible to a counter-attack from other candidates, and the only response anyone can seem to muster against Trump is "He's so rude!" Gimme a break.

Ummm....no. You obviously haven't paid attention then.

He is a hot head that will say whatever he thinks the crowd standing in front of him wants to hear. Heck, he has changed his stance on issues since he even started campaigning in THIS election. I'm sure that's dependent on who he is talking to. He has not put out any detailed plan to do anything other than build a wall and make Mexico pay for it and don't let China screw us.

Wow....that's some great in depth plan there.

The guy is an empty suit with a loud mouth. And, no, that is not saying I don't like him "because he is rude". He simply never says anything.

I have listened to some of his speeches and all they are is..."Hey....I'm so great. I'm the greatest in all the world....We are going to win...bla bla bla..."

Sorry if that doesn't impress me at all. It might get your heart pumping faster but it is empty and has absolutely no substance.

• Fire 4

Ummm....no. You obviously haven't paid attention then.

He is a hot head that will say whatever he thinks the crowd standing in front of him wants to hear. Heck, he has changed his stance on issues since he even started campaigning in THIS election. I'm sure that's dependent on who he is talking to. He has not put out any detailed plan to do anything other than build a wall and make Mexico pay for it and don't let China screw us.

Wow....that's some great in depth plan there.

The guy is an empty suit with a loud mouth. And, no, that is not saying I don't like him "because he is rude". He simply never says anything.

I have listened to some of his speeches and all they are is..."Hey....I'm so great. I'm the greatest in all the world....We are going to win...bla bla bla..."

Sorry if that doesn't impress me at all. It might get your heart pumping faster but it is empty and has absolutely no substance.

:yeah Yep- I find it unbelievable how shallow voters can be. Imagine this guy at the time of WW 2. He preys on the nationalistic / patriotic attitudes we all have which could lead us down the road of destruction in this not so simplistic world we live in. I'm about to refer to the 1930s - so let me say upfront - Trump is no Hitler and the USA is not Germany of 1930s. Put lets look at some similar traits that I don't like. There is a fanatical group of Trump supporters who feel threatened on by the establishment in DC, the open trade environment, inclusive big govt's immigration policy, and the loss of jobs overseas. Trump preys on all of these real issues and puts himself forward as the savior who can deliver America back to America. Think of Hitler in the 1930s - Germany was squashed by restrictions of the surrender deal from WW1, the economy was a wreck and Hitler appealed to their nationalistic pride and promised he'd make them great again. I don't trust Trump to restrain himself from political dirty tricks, or worse if he became president. He paints himself as a strong man but strong men don't act and talk like him. The worse men to fear are weak men with power - think Nixon.

• Fire 1

Trump is more outrageous, but I challenge the idea that Rubio is a moderate. He has polish. He's young, handsome, and speaks well. To be a moderate would require a significant pivot on his part.

I don't think Rubio is a moderate...he's a mainstream conservative meaning he still have conservative views but is able to reach across to independents with his message. With that said, I would say he's way closer to center than say Obama or Hillary are on the Democratic side. Obama is about as far left as Ted Cruz is on the right, and Hillary is pushing to go even further left than Obama on every issue except for foreign policy.

Do you have any evidence to back that up? Obama has won two elections against moderate Republicans while Cruz appears to be too conservative to even win the Republican nomination.

Obama won against one inept Republican (McCain) and a compliant press that didn't look into his background - they had that 'tingle up their legs'. This after Bush fatigue and the crash of 2008. No way a republican was going to win. He won again against a more competent candidate in Romney who was a terrible campaigner. A real lost opportunity against a weak sitting president.

I agree that McCain and Romney had their issues but Obama's victories still demonstrated that he is moderate enough to appeal to a broad portion of the electorate. I have yet to see evidence that Cruz is capable of appealing to moderate voters.

Trump is more outrageous, but I challenge the idea that Rubio is a moderate. He has polish. He's young, handsome, and speaks well. To be a moderate would require a significant pivot on his part.

I don't think Rubio is a moderate...he's a mainstream conservative meaning he still have conservative views but is able to reach across to independents with his message. With that said, I would say he's way closer to center than say Obama or Hillary are on the Democratic side. Obama is about as far left as Ted Cruz is on the right, and Hillary is pushing to go even further left than Obama on every issue except for foreign policy.

Do you have any evidence to back that up? Obama has won two elections against moderate Republicans while Cruz appears to be too conservative to even win the Republican nomination.

Obama won against one inept Republican (McCain) and a compliant press that didn't look into his background - they had that 'tingle up their legs'. This after Bush fatigue and the crash of 2008. No way a republican was going to win. He won again against a more competent candidate in Romney who was a terrible campaigner. A real lost opportunity against a weak sitting president.

I agree that McCain and Romney had their issues but Obama's victories still demonstrated that he is moderate enough to appeal to a broad portion of the electorate. I have yet to see evidence that Cruz is capable of appealing to moderate voters.

You may be right on that. That is why I prefer Rubio. Cruz I think will scare others away.

Trump honestly scares me. I feel like he's the type if he gets elected he will do anything/everything he can to get revenge on anyone who slighted him or who he perceives slighted him in the least. He's a child.

He's decided now that he's not sure it's legal for Rubio to run, even though he has previously said of course it's legal. He keeps claiming he's not racist but we've now had 3 politicians who are either non white or have non white last names who he's either said can't/shouldn't be president or implied it about them.

Trump honestly scares me. I feel like he's the type if he gets elected he will do anything/everything he can to get revenge on anyone who slighted him or who he perceives slighted him in the least. He's a child.

He's decided now that he's not sure it's legal for Rubio to run, even though he has previously said of course it's legal. He keeps claiming he's not racist but we've now had 3 politicians who are either non white or have non white last names who he's either said can't/shouldn't be president or implied it about them.

Admittedly, I could be wrong here, but I don't think that Trump is the quite the loose cannon that he appears to be. He's incredibly smart. There is no arguing that point. You don't get to where he is in life by being stupid, and completely unhinged.... I think he's incredibly detailed in his approach during his campaign. The evidence is there, he's playing his supporters like a fiddle, and completely dictating the direction of this race for the Republican nomination....

Having said that, I'd much rather see Kasich, or Carson win the nomination....

Admittedly, I could be wrong here, but I don't think that Trump is the quite the loose cannon that he appears to be. He's incredibly smart. There is no arguing that point. You don't get to where he is in life by being stupid, and completely unhinged.... I think he's incredibly detailed in his approach during his campaign. The evidence is there, he's playing his supporters like a fiddle, and completely dictating the direction of this race for the Republican nomination....

He's not that smart. You can get to where he is by inheriting wealth, surrounding yourself with smart people, going through 4 bankruptcies, and most ironic of all; trouncing all over the common folk.

He's not that smart. You can get to where he is by inheriting wealth, surrounding yourself with smart people, going through 4 bankruptcies, and most ironic of all; trouncing all over the common folk.

I disagree. One common quality of a 'smart' businessman is to surround himself with other smart people. He came from wealth, yes, but he has significantly increased his wealth over time through his own business ventures, and investments. I think you're greatly underestimating how difficult it is to become as rich as Trump....You could argue he's ruthless (and you'd be right). You could argue he shouldn't be involved in politics (you might be right there as well). But I don't know how you can try and argue with a straight face that the man isn't intelligent. Read up on the guy. Look past this 'act' he's putting on while pandering to the angst of republicans all across the country. The man knows exactly what he's doing, as he usually does.

I disagree. One common quality of a 'smart' businessman is to surround himself with other smart people. He came from wealth, yes, but he has significantly increased his wealth over time through his own business ventures, and investments. I think you're greatly underestimating how difficult it is to become as rich as Trump....You could argue he's ruthless (and you'd be right). You could argue he shouldn't be involved in politics (you might be right there as well). But I don't know how you can try and argue with a straight face that the man isn't intelligent. Read up on the guy. Look past this 'act' he's putting on while pandering to the angst of republicans all across the country. The man knows exactly what he's doing, as he usually does.

Trump’s net worth has grown about 300% to an estimated $4 billion since 1987, according to a report by the Associated Press. But the real estate mogul would have made even more money if he had just invested in index funds. The AP says that, if Trump had invested in an index fund in 1988, his net worth would be as much as $13 billion.

The S&P 500 has grown 1,336% since 1988.

Other billionaires’ net worths have beaten the stock market’s growth in that time. Bill Gates, for example, saw his grow increase 7,173% since 1988 to $80 billion. Warren Buffet’s wealth grew 2,612% in the same time period, to $67.8 billion.

http://fortune.com/2015/08/20/donald-trump-index-funds/

Wellllllllllll, he's incredibly *savvy*. So are reality TV stars. Being born into wealth didn't hurt, either. Not that I think he's a dummy.

Let's see what Kasich has been up to lately ... Oh, right. Cutting access to care in his home state.

Trump’s net worth has grown about 300% to an estimated $4 billion since 1987, according to a report by the Associated Press. But the real estate mogul would have made even more money if he had just invested in index funds. The AP says that, if Trump had invested in an index fund in 1988, his net worth would be as much as $13 billion.

Other billionaires’ net worths have beaten the stock market’s growth in that time. Bill Gates, for example, saw his grow increase 7,173% since 1988 to $80 billion. Warren Buffet’s wealth grew 2,612% in the same time period, to $67.8 billion.

So he's not the 'best' billionaire? Ok.....

So he's not the 'best' billionaire? Ok.....

Ha! That is funny!

Wellllllllllll, he's incredibly *savvy*. So are reality TV stars. Being born into wealth didn't hurt, either. Not that I think he's a dummy.

Let's see what Kasich has been up to lately ... Oh, right. Cutting access to care in his home state.

Well, there won't be much sympathy from me when it comes to the defunding of Planned Parenthood..... I'm aware that Planned Parenthood offers more services then abortions, but there are other options for those looking to treat their STD's...... Option #1 would be, to quit putting your "thang" in dirty-butts (as we called them in high school/college).

Getting an STD does not make that person at fault necessarily. Not even close.

Regardless, there are people who will be in need of care. Do we deny them access to it on the grounds that they don't deserve it? That's not the America I know.

As a legal maneuver what is happening in Ohio is not an uncommon tactic, and it has not always been like this. It is effective and purposeful restriction of access -- disproportionately affecting the less wealthy. Step outside the theoretical and you are talking about real people whose options are reduced, because other people and politicians either don't care, or want it that way. In first world, leader of the free world United States of America. In 2016.