The Repub Debate

And, I asked what "worse" is.

That's not a "straw man argument." Trump said he would do worse. What is that? I'm not comfortable voting for him without knowing.

With everyone else in the field, I feel we will do what we can to abide by the agreed to rules of engagement that hold us higher than these cockroaches of the world.

And, when you have the military telling you it's a very very bad idea....well....I guess he is saying he won't listen to the military and do whatever he wants.....which...again....I'm not comfortable with.

I think you make some good points here...I do think that "better" is winning...and I think sometimes winning isn't pretty.

I am also going to guess you can find TONS of military telling you that it does work that it all works. I know my brothers best friend said lots of it worked.

You guys advocating torture are playing fast and loose with the lives of possibly innocent people. It's pretty easy to sit in your comfy chair and confidently propose the torture and murder of people you don't know and will never see, but it's a foolish idea and it hasn't yielded tangible proof that the results are accurate or have merit.

Further, you're ignoring the collateral damage this does to America's image, and the revenge factor of the survivors of these victims. How many people are we willing to turn into future terrorists in revenge for American torture to extract some dubious information today?

• Fire 4

You guys advocating torture are playing fast and loose with the lives of possibly innocent people. It's pretty easy to sit in your comfy chair and confidently propose the torture and murder of people you don't know and will never see, but it's a foolish idea and it hasn't yielded tangible proof that the results are accurate or have merit.

Further, you're ignoring the collateral damage this does to America's image, and the revenge factor of the survivors of these victims. How many people are we willing to turn into future terrorists in revenge for American torture to extract some dubious information today?

Of course it is...it is also pretty easy to sit in your comfy chair and tell people how it is a bad idea and that it doesn't work...For all we know it has worked many many times and stopped things from happening that we either never heard about or never even knew were going to happen.

Of course it is...it is also pretty easy to sit in your comfy chair and tell people how it is a bad idea and that it doesn't work...For all we know it has worked many many times and stopped things from happening that we either never heard about or never even knew were going to happen.

It would also be easy for him to tell it to your face. Actually doing the torture might not be so easy for you but then I don't know you that well. Except that you missed the point.

That said, we should not be stooping to their level. We have the technology, infrastructure, money and capability of finding things out without doing something so primitive and morally wrong as torturing people.

• Fire 2

Since the bold is the basis of your argument, you'll understand why it's laughably transparent and childish.

• Fire 1

We do? Are you just going off of gut feeing here?

We're not talking about waterboarding and "worse" being done to anyone. Just known terrorists and members of these groups like ISIS. With people like this who demonstrate evil and threaten the safety of our citizens, I am in support of using all means necessary to extract information from them. IMO it shouldn't even be a public issue, because there shouldn't be public knowledge about any of it.

And people claiming that they won't vote for Trump until he tells us "exactly specifically precisely how he's going to do it" (with a myriad of things, including this) is pretty stupid, unless you're going to hold all the candidates to the same standard - in which case it looks like you will be voting for no one, ever.

My brothers best friend was a marine...he had to do "bad things" during his 3 tours (mostly the last one) to get info...unless he was lying to me.

Since the bold is the basis of your argument, you'll understand why it's laughably transparent and childish.

Okay...

We're not talking about waterboarding and "worse" being done to anyone. Just known terrorists and members of these groups like ISIS. With people like this who demonstrate evil and threaten the safety of our citizens, I am in support of using all means necessary to extract information from them. IMO it shouldn't even be a public issue, because there shouldn't be public knowledge about any of it.

How do you know they're ISIS? How do you know they're "bad guys," at all? They don't wear black cowboy hats so we can easily identify them as the bad guys, you know.

And why are you so trusting of the government that you're OK with letting them do these things clandestinely without oversight. You realize your government doesn't always have your best interest at heart, right? That government is made of people, people who are corruptible and will sell you down the river for personal gain, right? Don't be so quick to give this kind of power to a government you don't control. Even if today's government is trustworthy (it isn't), there's no telling what we'll have tomorrow. What untrustworthy future autocrat are you willing to give unchecked power to?

• Fire 1

My brothers best friend was a marine...he had to do "bad things" during his 3 tours (mostly the last one) to get info...unless he was lying to me.

My extended family contains maybe ten Marines. Every single story they tell is 100% true and unembellished, just like the Marine you know/knew.

Right?

My extended family contains maybe ten Marines. Every single story they tell is 100% true and unembellished, just like the Marine you know/knew.

Right?

I don't know. I don't know them. You tell me.

If I tortured someone it would make me feel better to think it did some good.

Okay...

Let me rephrase what knapp said. If you're going to torture someone, you should know ahead of time that torture actually works. "For all we know it works" is not a good enough reason to support something.

• Fire 1