Boyd Epley's Return ... and Why He Left

Still, a lot of what caused Epley to pull away after 37 years was that $150,000.

“I told (Pederson) we couldn’t open these buildings without the displays, but he refused to approve it. I didn’t feel comfortable being here.”
So you leave everything you’ve done at NU over that? Not quite.
“There were other stressors in place,” Epley said.
Others in the athletic department were losing their jobs or being moved to other jobs. People were on edge, looking over their shoulders.
Epley himself was now handling facilities, snow removal and security.
Wait a minute. Snow removal?
“That’s not what I signed up for,” Epley said.

OWH

• Fire 2

He's back!

55c6a680a3313.image.jpg

Great article from Omaha World Herald's Tom Shatel and a wonderful sit-down interview with legendary former Nebraska strength coach and current Nebraska Associate Athletic Director of Strength & Conditioning.

There are many little vignettes, stories, and hidden details from the past in this interview. Topics include everything from Bob Devaney, Tom Osborne, and yes...Steve Pederson. I won't share them all, but here are few quotes that stood out:

There's one key difference this time around, and Epley's extremely proud of it: Philipp reports to Epley, not head football coach Mike Riley.

How many direct ties to the Devaney era are left? Not many. No wonder Philipp and the entire football staff speak in reverent tones about Epley. He's walking, breathing history.

"I'm very proud of all this," Epley said. "Look at this place: It's better than ever. You can feel it. We're like a rocket about to blast off."

Edited by The Duke
Merged threads
  • Fire 1