Offense

I found this video discussion interesting. And, in an effort to not be "that fan" that over reacts to a few phrases. I found the comments Joe says about the West Coast offense and "throwing allot" interesting.

But, I think the "throwing allot" is maybe due to the fact that's the part of the offense they need to work more on in practice.

Not necessarily an indication of what they are going to do most in games.

LINK

• Fire 1

I was wondering the same thing. There were several comments from yesterday's practice about the amount of pass plays vs. running plays.

I definitely think we'll throw more than we have in recent years but it's entirely possible that we just need a lot of work on the passing game so it's getting more attention right now.

• Fire 1

I think our weakest offensive positions are offensive tackle and quarterback. We're going to have to run. One reason the deep ball needs so much work is that Armstrong doesn't have the line to give him the time to wait for the deep ball. The pocket collapses too quickly. This offense this season will have the most success off the screen, sweep, play action pass, zone read, and running plays.

I found this video discussion interesting. And, in an effort to not be "that fan" that over reacts to a few phrases. I found the comments Joe says about the West Coast offense and "throwing allot" interesting.

But, I think the "throwing allot" is maybe due to the fact that's the part of the offense they need to work more on in practice.

LINK

most team work on the things they are not as proficient at in practice. So it doesn't surprise me that they would be working on the passing game a lot. Passing game takes a lot of time to be really good at. Just like option game it really is about timing and trust between the QB and receivers. West Coast is misleading IMO, it is built off of option routes which is what they ran last year. I think you will see more defined routes this year.

LINK

most team work on the things they are not as proficient at in practice. So it doesn't surprise me that they would be working on the passing game a lot. Passing game takes a lot of time to be really good at. Just like option game it really is about timing and trust between the QB and receivers. West Coast is misleading IMO, it is built off of option routes which is what they ran last year. I think you will see more defined routes this year.

I was actually very surprised that Joe used the WCO term. I wonder what he specifically meant by that because I agree. This year I would have thought it would sort of be NOT like a WCO passing game.

Damon Benning brought up this very topic on Sharp and Benning in the Morning today.

Benning said he was worried in the spring that he had seen a lot of passing and little running, and even noticed during practice they were running basically the same zone running play all the time. So, he asked Langsdorf about it back then. Langsdorf told him he has basically four base running plays, and they're not going to move on until he can find out who does what. For example, if you can't do X, then how are you going to be able to do Y?

For this next part I'm paraphrasing, but DB also said more passing is happening because that's what needs the work and is part of the installation process. My guess is that the run game is based on some core principles that that can then be adjusted depending on what the defense is showing or parts of the field they'd like to attack. So, for example, if you can do an outside zone running play well, then they'll have several other similar runs based off the same principles of the one 'base' play you can do well.

Big paraphrasing and speculating in my second paragraph there, but, that's basically what I took away from the conversation this morning.

• Fire 5

LINK

I was actually very surprised that Joe used the WCO term. I wonder what he specifically meant by that because I agree. This year I would have thought it would sort of be NOT like a WCO passing game.

I was surprised as well. I thought WCO was more slant routes, screen plays, dip and dunk type of stuff. I had read elsewhere they were primarily focusing on the deep ball on Sunday. Now I am really confused. I am pretty sure Ganz knows a heck of a lot more about football than I do so I will take his word for it. Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised come BYU with a high-octane spread pro-style west coast option offense. Who knows?

LINK

I was surprised as well. I thought WCO was more slant routes, screen plays, dip and dunk type of stuff. I had read elsewhere they were primarily focusing on the deep ball on Sunday. Now I am really confused. I am pretty sure Ganz knows a heck of a lot more about football than I do so I will take his word for it. Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised come BYU with a high-octane spread pro-style west coast option offense. Who knows?

I am not saying that Ganz is wrong or anything, but MR and BC are IMO doing things differently. Is MR wanting to run some of the same things that BC wanted to run, most definitely, it is the method of installation that will be different. Callahan's aproach was completly pro style he ran practice and games like it was a pro team. Mike Riley is a college coach. Even though he wants to run some similar things, he isn't going to go about it the same way. He understands they have 20 hours a week to get things done. He understands that college fans want to win now, not building for three years from now through the draft/recruiting.

Callahan didn't get why it was important to go to a bowl game his first year as head coach. He didn't get why it is important to win now and worry about putting in what you want later. Riley gets that.

LINK

I am not saying that Ganz is wrong or anything, but MR and BC are IMO doing things differently. Is MR wanting to run some of the same things that BC wanted to run, most definitely, it is the method of installation that will be different. Callahan's aproach was completly pro style he ran practice and games like it was a pro team. Mike Riley is a college coach. Even though he wants to run some similar things, he isn't going to go about it the same way. He understands they have 20 hours a week to get things done. He understands that college fans want to win now, not building for three years from now through the draft/recruiting.

Callahan didn't get why it was important to go to a bowl game his first year as head coach. He didn't get why it is important to win now and worry about putting in what you want later. Riley gets that.

Um pretty sure he coached pro and college, and he definitely coachs much more like a pro coach.