Walk-Ons: Who Gets a Scholarship?

Mavric

I think it is interesting that Burtch is not getting his scholarship renewed. Although he was injured all of last year and sat out in the spring, he was set for this year until he had another injury. He is only supposed to be out 2-4 weeks though, unless I missed something. Until that injury he was supposed to provide depth at receiver and have significant playing time. Now I wonder if he will even see the field this year.

I think it is interesting that Burtch is not getting his scholarship renewed. Although he was injured all of last year and sat out in the spring, he was set for this year until he had another injury. He is only supposed to be out 2-4 weeks though, unless I missed something. Until that injury he was supposed to provide depth at receiver and have significant playing time. Now I wonder if he will even see the field this year.

I doubt it. Morgan has proved that he deserves to be on the field as a FR and due to the lack of field time, Hovey will be a head of him on the charts.

Yeah, I am disappointed for Burtch. This is his senior year, and unlike three upperclassmen WR who have had minimal production (I won't name names, but I am sure everyone can figure it out), Burtch has earned his scholarship, despite injury.

Yeah, I am disappointed for Burtch. This is his senior year, and unlike three upperclassmen WR who have had minimal production (I won't name names, but I am sure everyone can figure it out), Burtch has earned his scholarship, despite injury.
How? He has 12 career receptions for 147 yards and 3 Tds.

I remember him coming up big in the second half of the 2013 season. He was the main WR target during the final drive leading to the Hail Mary against Northwestern and broke out during the Michigan St game, arguably our toughest competition that year. There were high expectations for him last year, until his pre-season injury.

Besides, that is as good if not better single season production than two of our junior/senior WR on scholarship.

I remember him coming up big in the second half of the 2013 season. He was the main WR target during the final drive leading to the Hail Mary against Northwestern and broke out during the Michigan St game, arguably our toughest competition that year. There were high expectations for him last year, until his pre-season injury.

Besides, that is as good if not better single season production than two of our junior/senior WR on scholarship.

But that's also his career production...mind naming the other two WR's so we can compare stats?

But that's also his career production...mind naming the other two WR's so we can compare stats?

I'm assuming he means Taariq Allen and Alonzo Moore. Allen has more receptions and less yards, Moore has more receptions and more yards. There's no mention of special teams on Burtch's or Moore's bio pages but there is on Allen's. But regardless, the scholarship isn't just about past production it's about potential for production.

I'm assuming he means Taariq Allen and Alonzo Moore. Allen has more receptions and less yards, Moore has more receptions and more yards. There's no mention of special teams on Burtch's or Moore's bio pages but there is on Allen's. But regardless, the scholarship isn't just about past production it's about potential for production.

Moore and Burtch aren't on the same level so I hope that's not one. Allen is a decent comparable, and if he was a walk-on who hadnt played the previous year, missed fall camp, and wouldn't be ready for the beginning of the season I'd be fine with him not getting a scholly either.

Hard to compare recruited scholarship guys to walk-ons deserving - or not deserving - a scholly, irregardless of stats or playing time.

That's what I am thinking, too. Yes, walk-ons may end up producing more on the field, but that walk-on isn't guaranteed a renewal of scholarship from year to year. Unless the coach is going to "cut" a scholarship recruited player, and then give that scholarship to a former walk-on, that recruited, scholarship player is going to have his scholly.

Hard to compare recruited scholarship guys to walk-ons deserving - or not deserving - a scholly, irregardless of stats or playing time.

That's what I am thinking, too. Yes, walk-ons may end up producing more on the field, but that walk-on isn't guaranteed a renewal of scholarship from year to year. Unless the coach is going to "cut" a scholarship recruited player, and then give that scholarship to a former walk-on, that recruited, scholarship player is going to have his scholly.
Yeah and if you cut a scholly guy, now you're the SEC.