DPE Injured: Out 6-8 weeks.

Did anybody think that DPE was going to be THAT much of a difference maker with a new staff and new schemes to learn?

Yes.

I agree, this hurts but, I also don't think it amounts to7 or 10 points per game as some have made a case for. Our whole return game may be worth those type of points but we will still have a return game. Somebody is going to have to step up and pick up the slack. The replacement likely won't be as dynamic or productive as DPE has shown he can be but we've got other athletes, some of whom I'm sure have some speed and wiggle. Yes, probably a lower probability of taking it to the house or flipping the field the field as much but hopefully still a respectable return game. And he may be back before the majority of our conference games. We'll survive me thinks....just may not be as fun to watch those first 5 or so games.

You're absolutely right. This totally sucks, but claiming it is a 7 to 10 point difference is borderline absurd. From a gambling/vegas perspective it hardly made a dent. Yesterday the line for the BYU game was -6.5. Today it is still -6.5 some places and -6 other places. This is a bad loss, and I feel horrible for DPE, but generally speaking it is not the difference between winning and losing a close game.

It's not a vegas 7 points, but a real world 7. Vegas rarely adjusts point spreads on an injury unless it's the starting QB.

Without DPE, ee don't make the almost comeback against Sparty. We don't beat Iowa. We don't hang with USC. Just from a scoring perspective on PR's. Then you factor in the field position flip where we went from 100+ in 2013, to number 1 in 2014.

You'll have a hard time convincing me that the field position upgrade isn't worth the points. Maybe not 10, but 5-7 would be about right.

PR2????

Yeah, I dunno who that would be. Sam Burtch and Lavan Alston are out, but I don't think either one returns punts. He's probly talking about Westerkamp. But Westy is just dinged up. He'll play next week.

I say RS DPE this year and let him heal completely. No sense on trying to rush it and end up screwing up his career just to play in 5-6 games. This will give some of the young guys a chance to prove themselves and build depth for the next couple years.

• Fire 1

I don't think he's worth 7-10 points, but to say he's not a difference maker is silly. On average he's probably worth 3.5 points/game. Kinda pulling that out of the air but: 5 TDs in 13 games = 2.7 points. Then add what he gives us with field position. Sometimes TDs, sometimes FGs, sometimes nothing. But... that's not including how good he may have been as a WR for the first 6-7 games. And it's also not counting that the back up punt returner, whoever it is, might be pretty good too.

I'd that even 3.5 points is overstating it. Yes he scored 2.7 points per game, but would a replacement receiver not scored any of those touchdown? Probably a replacement would have scored at least 2 of those 5 touchdown. And I don't know how many average yards per punt return he is above the average replacement player, but let's assume it's 15 yards more (which I'm guessing is overstating it). Improving your field position by 15 yards to start a drive is definitely valuable, but go look at the Football Outsider stats in the value of field position. An extra 15 yards of field position translates to not that many points.

A terrible loss, but probably more like being worth 1 or 1.5 points, at most. The biggest loss may be in what he hadn't yet proven as a receiver and that is obviously an unknown.

Alright Chicken Little's... The sky is not falling. In football you don't build a team around one guy unless that guy is a QB. DPE is a WR and he wasn't even our best receiver on the team last year. Sure he broke some crazy runs in the return game, but if our offense can't move the ball down the field well and we have to have a big return game to score, we have much bigger issues and frankly don't deserve to play in the BI0 Championship.

Westercamp is very good. We know this. And we know he's TA's top target and TA always locks in on his guy. B Reilly is our deep threat and our burner and we know he can play. Bo was high on him as well. Bo loved Hovey and Mike Reilly and K Williams love Hovey. He's a big bodied guy that's going to do well. Stanley M is already better than Pierson El, some players said it themselves. He's gonna step in. Alonzo Moore is running with the 2's and has improved a lot from last year. And then we have Burtch, Allen, Turner. There was once a time when Turner was one of our best 3. Even if Burtch and Allen don't come back for a bit, we still have 8-9 guys that can play. That's a 3 deep. And the coaches have said they can put Wilbon in as a receiver some and possibly Jordan Nelson as well.

Now let's look at the return game. Have you seen Mikale Wilbon return at the college level? No? Right because he redshirted. But he has the skill set and vision to be very good at it. Give him a chance. Plus how do we know Stanley isn't good at it? What about Josh Kalu (if you look at his high school tape he was a phenomenal returner). Or we know Jordan Stevenson could be phenomenal at returning. He's got what looks to be a high ankle sprain. Give it a couple more weeks. He can do that for us this year.

We have a TEAM and we stack with DEPTH because we don't build offense or plays around one guy. It's football. Guys always go down with injuries. Every year we have 2-3 WR's sat a time who can't play cause they are injured. Remember last fall camp? How many guys were hurt at the WR position? If I remember correct it was 3-4. Taariq Allen tore his ACL 2 years ago. Really had a major injury in the season. Hovey was hurt. Kenny was hurt. Jamal tore his Achilles and was out the whole year. Burtch was hurt. We're actually in a pretty good spot right now and this year. What's hurting us with depth is 3 scholarship WR's were dismissed from the team this summer. So we are down 1/4 of the position going into the year. That's why we are hurting. But we'll be okay and we will have better depth for next year.

Don't worry. Be happy folks.

• Fire 7

Did anybody think that DPE was going to be THAT much of a difference maker with a new staff and new schemes to learn?

Yes.

I agree, this hurts but, I also don't think it amounts to7 or 10 points per game as some have made a case for. Our whole return game may be worth those type of points but we will still have a return game. Somebody is going to have to step up and pick up the slack. The replacement likely won't be as dynamic or productive as DPE has shown he can be but we've got other athletes, some of whom I'm sure have some speed and wiggle. Yes, probably a lower probability of taking it to the house or flipping the field the field as much but hopefully still a respectable return game. And he may be back before the majority of our conference games. We'll survive me thinks....just may not be as fun to watch those first 5 or so games.

You're absolutely right. This totally sucks, but claiming it is a 7 to 10 point difference is borderline absurd. From a gambling/vegas perspective it hardly made a dent. Yesterday the line for the BYU game was -6.5. Today it is still -6.5 some places and -6 other places. This is a bad loss, and I feel horrible for DPE, but generally speaking it is not the difference between winning and losing a close game.

It's not a vegas 7 points, but a real world 7. Vegas rarely adjusts point spreads on an injury unless it's the starting QB.

Without DPE, ee don't make the almost comeback against Sparty. We don't beat Iowa. We don't hang with USC. Just from a scoring perspective on PR's. Then you factor in the field position flip where we went from 100+ in 2013, to number 1 in 2014.

You'll have a hard time convincing me that the field position upgrade isn't worth the points. Maybe not 10, but 5-7 would be about right.

You know, there is a direct connection between the Vegas line and the "real world" points. And at this point, the Vegas line is market driven, not set by an oddsmaker. If the betting public, including the market driving professional betters thought it was worth 7 points, they would have quickly bet huge amounts on BYU driving the line from -6.5 to pick 'em or even making us a dog. That didn't happen. Why? No enough people actually believe it is worth more than just a point, at most.

PR2????

I believe that was Alstons best chance to help the team this year.

He was pretty likely going to redshirt. I suppose there's a chance he wouldn't with DPE hurt but I think we have other options.

That's what I'm saying... Without DPE, he might've been returning punts, a reason to take away a RS, ask DPE.

Alright Chicken Little's... The sky is not falling. In football you don't build a team around one guy unless that guy is a QB. DPE is a WR and he wasn't even our best receiver on the team last year. Sure he broke some crazy runs in the return game, but if our offense can't move the ball down the field well and we have to have a big return game to score, we have much bigger issues and frankly don't deserve to play in the BI0 Championship.

Westercamp is very good. We know this. And we know he's TA's top target and TA always locks in on his guy. B Reilly is our deep threat and our burner and we know he can play. Bo was high on him as well. Bo loved Hovey and Mike Reilly and K Williams love Hovey. He's a big bodied guy that's going to do well. Stanley M is already better than Pierson El, some players said it themselves. He's gonna step in. Alonzo Moore is running with the 2's and has improved a lot from last year. And then we have Burtch, Allen, Turner. There was once a time when Turner was one of our best 3. Even if Burtch and Allen don't come back for a bit, we still have 8-9 guys that can play. That's a 3 deep. And the coaches have said they can put Wilbon in as a receiver some and possibly Jordan Nelson as well.

Now let's look at the return game. Have you seen Mikale Wilbon return at the college level? No? Right because he redshirted. But he has the skill set and vision to be very good at it. Give him a chance. Plus how do we know Stanley isn't good at it? What about Josh Kalu (if you look at his high school tape he was a phenomenal returner). Or we know Jordan Stevenson could be phenomenal at returning. He's got what looks to be a high ankle sprain. Give it a couple more weeks. He can do that for us this year.

We have a TEAM and we stack with DEPTH because we don't build offense or plays around one guy. It's football. Guys always go down with injuries. Every year we have 2-3 WR's sat a time who can't play cause they are injured. Remember last fall camp? How many guys were hurt at the WR position? If I remember correct it was 3-4. Taariq Allen tore his ACL 2 years ago. Really had a major injury in the season. Hovey was hurt. Kenny was hurt. Jamal tore his Achilles and was out the whole year. Burtch was hurt. We're actually in a pretty good spot right now and this year. What's hurting us with depth is 3 scholarship WR's were dismissed from the team this summer. So we are down 1/4 of the position going into the year. That's why we are hurting. But we'll be okay and we will have better depth for next year.

Don't worry. Be happy folks.

Well said
  • Fire 1