DPE Injured: Out 6-8 weeks.

Exactly. Who is elusive and speedy enough to substitute DPE? Pobably nobody, but who comes closest?

One of the media guys noted yesterday that we've recruited several guys over the last couple years who were good returners in HS.

I can't remember for sure all of who they listed but they're mostly defensive guys at this point (with DPE and Alston out). Josh Kalu, Eric Lee and I think Avery Anderson. Maybe Chris Jones though he's been hurt as well. I wouldn't mind seeing Turner get a shot either. And Wilbon might have been on that list as well.

I know most people want to remain positive, but can we not pretend this isn't a huge loss? I got the feeling we were going to see DPE utilized not only as a big time receiver in a heavier passing game, but as a threat on sweeps as well.

We can plug another guy into returns, but man those are some potentially big shoes to fill. Morgan has a chance to step up and I hope he makes the most of it, still a lot to ask. Man this sucks.

Good thing life goes on, huh?

No, it doesn't.

Are we talking about the same Westerkamps that fumbled kicks or punts a bunch just a couple of years ago?

Hopefully he has that dialed in.

I think that's a little harsh. We had issues but I don't think a lot of them were on Westerkamp. He fumbled once against MSU after he caught a ball he should have just let go, got spun around and hit again. And he may have muffed one more (Michigan?) that he recovered. But I don't think it was very many.

I know most people want to remain positive, but can we not pretend this isn't a huge loss? I got the feeling we were going to see DPE utilized not only as a big time receiver in a heavier passing game, but as a threat on sweeps as well.

We can plug another guy into returns, but man those are some potentially big shoes to fill. Morgan has a chance to step up and I hope he makes the most of it, still a lot to ask. Man this sucks.

No, it doesn't.

That's sad.

No, it doesn't.

That's sad.

Obviously we will still field a team this year. But to undersell the impact a guy like DPE could make in a game is just silly. We score less points this season with him on the shelf. That's a fact.

I love me some Westerkamp and he's fine at PR but he's not that dynamic. I'd much rather see one of the younger guys get a shot.

Not thrilled about Westy being PR. Whatever I guess.

Especially being another starting WR with one starter (DPE) already out. I wonder how careful he'll be instructed to be.

Are we talking about the same Westerkamps that fumbled kicks or punts a bunch just a couple of years ago?

I think that's a little harsh. We had issues but I don't think a lot of them were on Westerkamp. He fumbled once against MSU after he caught a ball he should have just let go, got spun around and hit again. And he may have muffed one more (Michigan?) that he recovered. But I don't think it was very many.

He's fumbled 4 times and lost 2. That's more than enough for me to remain skeptical for now.

Exactly. Who is elusive and speedy enough to substitute DPE? Pobably nobody, but who comes closest?

One of the media guys noted yesterday that we've recruited several guys over the last couple years who were good returners in HS.

I can't remember for sure all of who they listed but they're mostly defensive guys at this point (with DPE and Alston out). Josh Kalu, Eric Lee and I think Avery Anderson. Maybe Chris Jones though he's been hurt as well. I wouldn't mind seeing Turner get a shot either. And Wilbon might have been on that list as well.

If memory serves correctly, I think Trai Mosley was pretty solid as a PR in HS.

This isn't the first time I've heard someone say they would like Fisher back on the staff or would've like to seen him retained. I never really see any tangible reasons as to why that is.

Just curious what it is those people believe Fisher does well and why we would want him back on the staff as a coach.

Anybody who thinks that could answer, I know theres quite a few of you running around this board. It's just an honest question, because frankly I don't get it and I hope the guy is not brought back for any reason.

Layman's opinion - he loves Nebraska, never had any ugly character stuff peak through the way we've seen with way too many of our assistants over the last few years, his players have had great productivity and general consistency with catching the ball, and they blocked better than any other team's unit that I've seen in recent years, and they bought in to what he was selling them when a lot of receivers can be prima donnas and not want to get their hands dirty or get physical.

• Fire 1

If memory serves correctly, I think Trai Mosley was pretty solid as a PR in HS.

Yep. I think he was another one on their list now that you say that.

He's fumbled 4 times and lost 2. That's more than enough for me to remain skeptical for now.

When were the other two? Are those total numbers or just on punt returns?

I think one thing factor of the muffed punts and the fumbles and the poor returns in general was the return scheme in 2012-2013. The scheme flat-out sucked, and there would be opposing defenders bearing down on the punt returners with no room to breathe. Hopefully, Read has a punt return scheme that doesn't look like this (see below).

CM3w8UfWUAAtwSF.jpg

When were the other two? Are those total numbers or just on punt returns?

I'm not disagreeing, I just don't remember the other two being on punt returns. McKewon only mentions two as well but only one of those was trying to catch the punt.

Westerkamp returned 19 punts for 51 yards in 2013, fumbling in back-to-back games against Michigan and Michigan State. Because of what former coach Bo Pelini later conceded were overly cautious schemes — NU seemed to live in mortal fear of fake punts — Westerkamp was often mobbed by multiple defenders poised to pounce on him as the ball approached.

OWH