Democratic Election Thread

Hillary is on the trail claiming that she restored world support for the US during her tenure, but support actually fell during her time as SOS. Now i'm not one who believes we as Americans should be infatuated with getting the world to like us (as Obama seemed to be when he went on his apology tour), but the real story here is Hillary trying to find some strength she can present to the American people, and the data simply does not back her up. And this comes from Bloomberg which is traditionally supportive of Democratic candidates.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-06-02/did-hillary-clinton-really-restore-america-s-reputation-in-the-world

Please provide dates and locations of said apology tour. Also quotes would be highly favored.

You really have not heard about him touring the world after elected and talking about how arrogant and bad America was. Here is just one story highlighting his visits and his words. Were you living under a rock at the time?

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2009/06/barack-obamas-top-10-apologies-how-the-president-has-humiliated-a-superpower

Hmmmmm..... Not.

Not what...

I only read the first 3, but like Moiraine said, thise are not apologies. Even if he did apologize what the hell is wrong with that? We've f'd up quite a few things as a nation, and turned a blind eye to them.

So you would be ok if a President Trump goes on a world tour to apologize for the messes Obama has created? I just dont think any president from either party should spend much time in other countries doing this type of thing. I guess if you are ok for Trump to do this type of thing about Obama you are being consistent.

Hillary is on the trail claiming that she restored world support for the US during her tenure, but support actually fell during her time as SOS. Now i'm not one who believes we as Americans should be infatuated with getting the world to like us (as Obama seemed to be when he went on his apology tour), but the real story here is Hillary trying to find some strength she can present to the American people, and the data simply does not back her up. And this comes from Bloomberg which is traditionally supportive of Democratic candidates.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-06-02/did-hillary-clinton-really-restore-america-s-reputation-in-the-world

Please provide dates and locations of said apology tour. Also quotes would be highly favored.

You really have not heard about him touring the world after elected and talking about how arrogant and bad America was. Here is just one story highlighting his visits and his words. Were you living under a rock at the time?

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2009/06/barack-obamas-top-10-apologies-how-the-president-has-humiliated-a-superpower

Hmmmmm..... Not.

Not what...

I only read the first 3, but like Moiraine said, thise are not apologies. Even if he did apologize what the hell is wrong with that? We've f'd up quite a few things as a nation, and turned a blind eye to them.

So you would be ok if a President Trump goes on a world tour to apologize for the messes Obama has created? I just dont think any president from either party should spend much time in other countries doing this type of thing. I guess if you are ok for Trump to do this type of thing about Obama you are being consistent.

If Trump is building postitive relationships and trying to contructively solve problems facing the world, then no. I would have no problem with it. It is in the job description of POTUS to be a positive leader in the world, to put America's "best foot" forward. Which is why I have a hard time picturing Trump as President, I don't think he has the grace or temperment to be a valuable member in the world community.

Hmmmmm..... Not.

Not what...

But Obama didn't do what you keep claiming he did.

• Fire 2

Hmmmmm..... Not.

Not what...

But Obama didn't do what you keep claiming he did.

Well if you can't read between the lines, so be it. Going to other nations explaining how America has been arrogant in the past, and that we should be more like Europe is inappropriate, and whether you want to call these many speeches and apology or not is up to you. Besides making these claims to the world, he spent most of his first term continuing to attack and criticize Bush 43 rather than looking ahead. I'm sure you will also state that he did not blame Bush on many opportunities in his first term. I've rarely seen you actually find much fault with Obama, yet when it comes to anybody running on the right, you seem at ease finding fault with them. Yet I know you claim to be "Independent." :)

Hmmmmm..... Not.

Not what...

If Trump is building postitive relationships and trying to contructively solve problems facing the world, then no. I would have no problem with it. It is in the job description of POTUS to be a positive leader in the world, to put America's "best foot" forward. Which is why I have a hard time picturing Trump as President, I don't think he has the grace or temperment to be a valuable member in the world community.

I don't love Trump and have stated this many times before, but where is there an actual job description claiming that the job of the POTUS is to be positive to the rest of the world. I'm sure glad Bush 43 was not focused on what the world might think of the US in the aftermath of 9/11. The US POTUS can and should be putting America first, and the anger you are seeing in both parties with the rise of Trump and Sanders is a frustration with the establishment status quo . I do wish Obama would be more positive toward Israel and less so to terrorist groups seeking their destruction.

Hmmmmm..... Not.

Not what...

I don't love Trump and have stated this many times before, but where is there an actual job description claiming that the job of the POTUS is to be positive to the rest of the world. I'm sure glad Bush 43 was not focused on what the world might think of the US in the aftermath of 9/11. The US POTUS can and should be putting America first, and the anger you are seeing in both parties with the rise of Trump and Sanders is a frustration with the establishment status quo . I do wish Obama would be more positive toward Israel and less so to terrorist groups seeking their destruction.

I know it's not an "official" job description, but I thought it was common knowledge that President is the main representative when working with other nations.

http://ivn.us/2012/11/11/a-job-description-of-the-president-of-the-united-states/

Not trying to speak for Bnilhome but I really don't think he was talking about that.

Exactly...not a difficult concept to grasp that the POTUS should be concerned with American interests first, and when American's interests are fine and we can help out the world, so be it. We should never be in a position where we take a policy position that would counter what is in America's interests. I realize this is a broad statement and can be sliced and diced, but as a general approach to foreign policy and relations, it's really not that complicated.

• Fire 1

Not trying to speak for Bnilhome but I really don't think he was talking about that.

Exactly...not a difficult concept to grasp that the POTUS should be concerned with American interests first, and when American's interests are fine and we can help out the world, so be it. We should never be in a position where we take a policy position that would counter what is in America's interests. I realize this is a broad statement and can be sliced and diced, but as a general approach to foreign policy and relations, it's really not that complicated.

It's long been the philosophy of the U.S. that helping out other countries is something that helps us. I don't see that Obama is putting the world's interests above America's or attempting to do something that counters America's interests.

• Fire 3

Agreed. And when what is best for the US involves other nations around the world, which is a substantial amount, it is a good idea to get them on board. More flies with honey....

• Fire 1

Agreed. And when what is best for the US involves other nations around the world, which is a substantial amount, it is a good idea to get them on board. More flies with honey....

I think everyone agrees that getting more countries on board to support policies that benefit America or are led by America is good thing. But I don't think we need to make speeches about America being "arrogant" in order to bring those countries on board. If other countries share our interests on core policies, lets join forces and look ahead. Now if Obama wants to apologize or offer conciliatory remarks for his own failed policies during his own Presidency, that is fine, but he thinks very highly of himself and I doubt he will be doing that.

• Fire 1

On the government shut down:

we got to stop repeating this pattern. I know the American people are tired of it. And to all the American people, I apologize that you have to go through this stuff every three months, it seems like. And Lord knows I'm tired of it.

On people losing their health care plans because of Obama care:

I am sorry that they are finding themselves in this situation based on assurances they got from me

Neither of which is really a failure. I don't think he's really failed at anything? Sure he could have done things better, but so could every president in history for that matter. Maybe you can name his failures, I'm pretty sure you can...

On the government shut down:

we got to stop repeating this pattern. I know the American people are tired of it. And to all the American people, I apologize that you have to go through this stuff every three months, it seems like. And Lord knows I'm tired of it.

On people losing their health care plans because of Obama care:

I am sorry that they are finding themselves in this situation based on assurances they got from me

Neither of which is really a failure. I don't think he's really failed at anything? Sure he could have done things better, but so could every president in history for that matter. Maybe you can name his failures, I'm pretty sure you can...

Obamacare is the closest thing for me as far as a failure. But, I hesitate to call it that because there have been a lot of people who gained coverage.

The problem with it is that the Republicans are to idiotic to offer ideas to make it better instead of the constant..."I'm going to repeal it" and the Dems are too arrogant to claim it has issues and offer fixes.

To me, Obamacare is a starting point that needs major changes to make it long term sustainable. But, neither side is going to work towards that due to their own political idiocies.

• Fire 2