What would you do?

Ok, so my 2 friends from high school flew from Omaha Nebraska to California to see us. We told our neighbors son that we would pay him to stay and take care of our pets. When we came home, the pets had no water or food, the house was a complete mess-(after a 4 hour trip back home, I had to clean the house!)-and a dog of ours was missing! When my hon called him to ask him about our dog that was missing, he said "the last time he saw him he was upstairs by our other dog", then he said, "well did you check outdoors or in the garage?" Our dogs can't even get in the garage and why would we check outdoors if the last time he saw him, he was upstairs with our other dog!" I was so mad that I screamed while my hon was talking to him on the phone, "he isn't going to get one penny from us!" So I called our dog's name when I was in our back yard and my hon went out in front and found him by our others neighbors step. They had a light on and we have a wall and gate around our house so he couldn't of gotten inside the wall or gate. This isn't the first time he has gotten loose when our neighbors son has watched them! They caught him in our others neighbors yard the first time! We let the first time go and gave him another chance! He gave the keys to his dad who lives 2 houses from us and now since we won't pay his son, he won't give us my keys to the house back! Now, do we just let it go and just get my hon's keys duplicated or what? I don't want to call the cops on him, they have more important things to do.

AR you may have to be my lawyer because I am about ready to throw dog s-t at his house!

Good idea, but, that won't work, he wouldn't pay it I meant to say our dog was by our "OTHER" neighbors house not the neighbor who won't give us my keys back. May just have to tell him we are changing the locks, even though we won't/we just had them changed or get my hon's keys duplicated, I don't know. I do know that I am ragged off!!

He is bitter about you not paying his son and he has keys to your house. that is not a good combo. it might have been cheaper to just pay his son and never hire him again. Now even if you pay him and get your keys back you have to consider that they may have made duplictes. it's not about saving money now...it's about protecting your family. use the money that you would have paid his son to help offset the cost of new doorknobs.

Yep, instead of paying the son buy new door knobs with that money. He didn't do the job, therefore he doesn't get payed for doing the job. That's how that works

Given how the dad reacted, it isn't surprising the son has no sense of responsibility. It sucks that he won't just give you the keys and try to teach his kid an important life lesson, but what can ya' do?

Well that's certainly an awkward situation. Most upstanding father's would have apologized for their's son lack of responsibility and given him an earful in private and probably suggest that you not pay the kid at all but not this guy.

Get the locks changed for sure. It sucks but the dad is an idiot who's obviously passing down that wisdom to his son.

Send them a certified letter (cc your lawyers name...) and demand the return of your keys or x amount of dollars for the cost of replacing your locks. Give them 3 days to comply. Throw in the threat of involving the police if they do not return your keys. I won also go on to explain in detail exactly why his son is not due 2 cents for the job he failed to do.

Lots of times the mere threat of the cops and Lawyers will get somebody to do what you want. It should occur to them that they are holding out for no good reason and it could start to cost them some real effort and money if they don't comply. Good luck.

Edit- after thinking further, it may just be best to change your locks. I wouldn't trust them to not copy the keys or to retaliate. It might cost you a bit more than paying for the dog sitting but not much you can do when dealing with irresponsible people like that.

Sometimes pets will freak out and misbehave when you're not around for a few days. After all, they're just hanging around the house alone all day with nothing to do. I know you think the kid didn't do his job. But it's possible that he fed them and did the bare minimum to care for them. As for how your dog got outside, I don't know.

If you don't pay him it will create bad blood between that neighbor and you over a relatively minor incident. So if I were you I'd go ahead and pay him, even though you think he doesn't deserve it. But I would discuss the condition of the house and pets with him, and ask him whether he had fed and cared for them each and every day. Also I would ask him how your dog had gotten out of the house. And I guess it goes without saying that next time you need your pets cared for I would use someone else.

Sometimes pets will freak out and misbehave when you're not around for a few days. After all, they're just hanging around the house alone all day with nothing to do. I know you think the kid didn't do his job. But it's possible that he fed them and did the bare minimum to care for them. As for how your dog got outside, I don't know.

If you don't pay him it will create bad blood between that neighbor and you over a relatively minor incident. So if I were you I'd go ahead and pay him, even though you think he doesn't deserve it. But I would discuss the condition of the house and pets with him, and ask him whether he had fed and cared for them each and every day. Also I would ask him how your dog had gotten out of the house. And I guess it goes without saying that next time you need your pets cared for I would use someone else.

One more chance! One more chance! One more chance! One more chance!