NU comes up short in big situations

It's gonna be hard to please you when you say, "NU needs to start WINNING these games under Riley" and "But when do we find the right coach to find our mojo?"

Both of your statements are unfair. We only played one game and your view is we need to start winning. Well, unfortunately, with only one game being played ... we just can't meet your expectation. Second, it appears you had concluded before or after this one game that we have not found the right coach.

You might actually be "spot on" on your view. I hope not. We have fallen so far I don't know with Nebraska's geography and our attachment to the B1G if we will ever find our way to the promise land. However, I think Coach Riley will put a product on the field that I can be happy with. I just don't think we are gonna see near the glory we once enjoyed.

I agree that those statements are probably unfair, and one game is way too early to make a decision on Riley. However, the small things that led to NU's loss are very concerning. Is that a one game blip, or is it something we will continue to see?

This isn't new to Nebraska. Up until 1994, Nebraska came up short on a lot of big situations under Osborne. Solich and Callahan had their fair share as well.

Osborne won plenty of "big games" along the way too. I didn't go to include the Solich years, but the Callahan years are shown too.

Considering he didn't win a championship for 22 years, i would say at least one time every year before 1994, he came up short in a big situation.

This isn't new to Nebraska. Up until 1994, Nebraska came up short on a lot of big situations under Osborne. Solich and Callahan had their fair share as well.

Osborne won plenty of "big games" along the way too. I didn't go to include the Solich years, but the Callahan years are shown too.

Considering he didn't win a championship for 22 years, i would say at least one time every year before 1994, he came up short in a big situation.

Yes, but my list showed "multiple" games in numerous situations throughout the year. It wasn't done to show every time NU has come up short in big situations. I lived through the Osborne losses in the 80s and early 90s, but TO had plenty of big wins to go along with those big losses. Recently, the big wins really haven't been there.

I think one general theme of all these losses is that NU didn't play all that well in most of these losses. It's one thing to play very well and lose (2009 Texas), it's another thing to play bad to even terrible.

In the BYU game, NU played pretty bad in defense and special teams, and just "ok" to me on offense.

We kicked 4 FG's against Texas. How is that playing very well?

And also, How do you compare a coaches first game against a coaches 25th?

I think one general theme of all these losses is that NU didn't play all that well in most of these losses. It's one thing to play very well and lose (2009 Texas), it's another thing to play bad to even terrible.

In the BYU game, NU played pretty bad in defense and special teams, and just "ok" to me on offense.

We kicked 4 FG's against Texas. How is that playing very well?

And also, How do you compare a coaches first game against a coaches 25th?

Considering the competition, I think NU played very well in the '09 Texas game. Yes, 4 FG's are disappointing, but the defense was dominating and the special teams were very good (up until Kunalic's final kickoff).

It's gonna be hard to please you when you say, "NU needs to start WINNING these games under Riley" and "But when do we find the right coach to find our mojo?"

Both of your statements are unfair. We only played one game and your view is we need to start winning. Well, unfortunately, with only one game being played ... we just can't meet your expectation. Second, it appears you had concluded before or after this one game that we have not found the right coach.

You might actually be "spot on" on your view. I hope not. We have fallen so far I don't know with Nebraska's geography and our attachment to the B1G if we will ever find our way to the promise land. However, I think Coach Riley will put a product on the field that I can be happy with. I just don't think we are gonna see near the glory we once enjoyed.

I agree that those statements are probably unfair, and one game is way too early to make a decision on Riley. However, the small things that led to NU's loss are very concerning. Is that a one game blip, or is it something we will continue to see?

Your just completely overacting. I would give MR at least half of the season before I get super concerned.

The big problem is that you have no respect for BYU as a football team. I knew they would be a decent team that played hard physical football. They were actually better than I thought they would be. Lets see how they look over their next three games. They play BSU, Michigan and UCLA on consecutive weekends. After those games they may not be challenged the rest of the year.

If NU loses on a Hail Mary to ASU or Arkansas or S. Carolina you wouldn't be nearly as concerned because you have more respect for those teams.

• Fire 1

Your just completely overacting. I would give MR at least half of the season before I get super concerned.

The big problem is that you have no respect for BYU as a football team. I knew they would be a decent team that played hard physical football. They were actually better than I thought they would be. Lets see how they look over their next three games. They play BSU, Michigan and UCLA on consecutive weekends. After those games they may not be challenged the rest of the year.

If NU loses on a Hail Mary to ASU or Arkansas or S. Carolina you wouldn't be nearly as concerned because you have more respect for those teams.

How do you know I don't have any respect for BYU? I know exactly who they are and who they were before the game. I knew it would be a tough game and it would probably go down to the wire. But, in a big game as Riley's first game as head coach, NU didn't play all that well. Even despite not playing all that well, NU was in position to win, and poor game management/poor coaching left the door open for a loss.

If you don't win a championship, you've come short somewhere along the way in a big situation.

Ha ha! Yeah, second place is just first place among the losers. Last year we had one champion, Ohio State, and 127 losers.

The big question is does anyone see Riley really getting Nebraska back to say even being a team that can regularly finish in the top 15 or at least flirt with being a top 15 team every season? I don't see things changing in terms of where Nebraska ends up at the end of the season other than you won't see our head coach having an aneurysm on national tv on a semi weekly basis during the season.

I actually don't see the BYU game being as big an indicator as some do in terms of where the program is headed given that it is/was obviously Riley's first game with players that he didn't even recruit. At the same time to get the point I see things staying pretty much the same as they were when Pelini was here if not worse except again no snippet on ESPN of our head coaching having a public meltdown every now and then.

Nebraska's been in a rut and I don't see that changing. Not with the current coaches we have in place. Wish I felt differently but I don't.

The big question is does anyone see Riley really getting Nebraska back to say even being a team that can regularly finish in the top 15 or at least flirt with being a top 15 team every season? I don't see things changing in terms of where Nebraska ends up at the end of the season other than you won't see our head coach having an aneurysm on national tv on a semi weekly basis during the season.

I actually don't see the BYU game being as big an indicator as some do in terms of where the program is headed given that it is/was obviously Riley's first game with players that he didn't even recruit. At the same time to get the point I see things staying pretty much the same as they were when Pelini was here if not worse except again no snippet on ESPN of our head coaching having a public meltdown every now and then.

Nebraska's been in a rut and I don't see that changing. Not with the current coaches we have in place. Wish I felt differently but I don't.

I think the a big problem is that we Husker fans aren't willing to wait and build are program back up. We want instant gratification. We see MSU, Minnesota, or Arizona and how they are really on an upswing. Kill didn't come in and win at Minnesota right away, neither did Dantonio or Rich Rod at any place he has been. They built those programs over years and are seeing the fruits of their labor.

We want to see instant results.

• Fire 4