Prepping For "Nebraska Week": Miami's Expectations

NUance

I think we win this game and look better than some people outside Nebraska expect us to look. Yes, I'm a complete homer/scarlet glasses kind of guy.

Seriously though, If the team continues to improve off of last week, I don't see why we shouldn't win by two TDs. The main area of concern for me is our D backfield and there have been some comments out of Lincoln this week indicating there may be solutions on the way. If we can do that while maintaining our good run defense, this game looks like a W.

I also like the ability of our coaches to get the team in the right mindset and maintain that throughout the game. I don't expect to see panic or melt downs on the field. If we lose, it's because Miami simply played better than us. That's obviously possible. But, I don't expect it.

I honestly don't know how we are going to look against Miami. If we do end up putting the screws to Miami though, sometimes I wonder how much people outside of Nebraska would notice or even care. We have zero votes in the AP poll right now.

I agree. I think it would be more noticed if BYU would then also beat UCLA. We would have lost on the last second play to a team that has since beat two ranked teams and one of those was a top 10 team.

If BYU loses, I agree this may go fairly unnoticed.

That puts me in a position of rooting for BYU. Which I am loath to do. :hmmph

I think we win this game and look better than some people outside Nebraska expect us to look. Yes, I'm a complete homer/scarlet glasses kind of guy.

Seriously though, If the team continues to improve off of last week, I don't see why we shouldn't win by two TDs. The main area of concern for me is our D backfield and there have been some comments out of Lincoln this week indicating there may be solutions on the way. If we can do that while maintaining our good run defense, this game looks like a W.

I also like the ability of our coaches to get the team in the right mindset and maintain that throughout the game. I don't expect to see panic or melt downs on the field. If we lose, it's because Miami simply played better than us. That's obviously possible. But, I don't expect it.

I honestly don't know how we are going to look against Miami. If we do end up putting the screws to Miami though, sometimes I wonder how much people outside of Nebraska would notice or even care. We have zero votes in the AP poll right now.

I agree. I think it would be more noticed if BYU would then also beat UCLA. We would have lost on the last second play to a team that has since beat two ranked teams and one of those was a top 10 team.

If BYU loses, I agree this may go fairly unnoticed.

That puts me in a position of rooting for BYU. Which I am loath to do. :hmmph

That's the only reason I want them to win. It benefits Nebraska. However, if that weren't the case, I couldn't root for UCLA to win either.

Joe Yearby

Does your coach have a pulse? If the answer is yes, then he will out coach Al Golden.

I think Golden was a decent hire by Miami, however he certainly seems to have lost the support of the fans. It may be his time to go after this season. Who would you like to see on the sidelines besides Golden if this happens?

Al Golden was a worse hire than Randy Shannon...chew on that. It was his time to go when he refused to fire his best friend, his DC after having the 112th ranked defense in 2012. Then it was time to go after he "went dark" for a week and tried to get the Penn State job. It was time for him to go after he went 6-7 with a team that had 7 draft picks and 9 guys that made opening day NFL rosters. Read my signature for my choice, and the choice of most Miami fans.

Is Butch Davis even eligible to coach yet? If they could somehow figure that out and get him back, that would be a good hire IMO. Hopefully you guys won't have to wait much longer for that to happen.

Davis was never implicated in anything at UNC.

On July 27, 2011, Davis was fired by UNC chancellor Holden Thorp amid an NCAA investigation of academic misconduct and allegations players receiving improper benefits from agents. Thorp said the move was necessary to restore confidence in UNC's integrity. On September 19, 2011, in response to an NCAA notice of allegations, Davis was never mentioned in the NCAA inquiry and had no involvement in the investigation.

In 2013, Davis told CBS Sports' Bruce Feldman that he believed his firing was an "overreaction" by Thorp, in the belief that "if he released me, maybe the investigation of the football program would go in a different direction." Around the same time, Baddour told Feldman that firing Davis "was not my recommendation." Baddour added that Thorp was well aware that he wanted Davis to remain as coach.

Joe Yearby

Does your coach have a pulse? If the answer is yes, then he will out coach Al Golden.

I think Golden was a decent hire by Miami, however he certainly seems to have lost the support of the fans. It may be his time to go after this season. Who would you like to see on the sidelines besides Golden if this happens?

Al Golden was a worse hire than Randy Shannon...chew on that. It was his time to go when he refused to fire his best friend, his DC after having the 112th ranked defense in 2012. Then it was time to go after he "went dark" for a week and tried to get the Penn State job. It was time for him to go after he went 6-7 with a team that had 7 draft picks and 9 guys that made opening day NFL rosters. Read my signature for my choice, and the choice of most Miami fans.

Al Golden did a nice job where he was at before Miami, wasn't it Temple? He took them from terrible to respectable. Some guys are good at overachieving with little, but when they get the big gig don't know how to deal with it. I don't know if he is that way or not. Miami is probably more than he can handle though.

The biggest regret in Butch Davis's life has to be leaving Miami to go coach in the NFL. I have never understood why good college coaches always think they have to reach for that level. So many of them fail.

Golden had the best recruiting classes in the MAC at Temple, and the most talent at Temple. Did he bring them back from the dead? Yes, but only as far as his mediocre coaching could take them. He was 3-24 against teams with winning records at Temple. He never won the MAC. He never won his division in the MAC. At Miami he is 0-4 against FSU. He is 11-17 against teams above .500. He's 0-2 in bowls. He's never won the Coastal, forget the ACC, despite having more talent than everyone in the ACC not named FSU or Clemson.

If the OL can get some push especially early, we'll be in great shape. If they play like they did against BYU, we're in trouble. Defensively, we need the LBs to finally show up for a game.

The two sample sizes we have for the OL make me lean towards this game being a bit closer to BYU rather than USA. I obviously hope the OL has a good day and has taken some big steps from that first week, but I'm not sold on their abilities yet. And regardless of Al Golden's supposed ineptitude, they've got some really good football players on that team. I'm hopeful more-so than I am confident.

And given Bando and Ivey get to see the field together, I think our LB's should have a decent game. Ivey played pretty well against USA and I think he should be able to have similar success. This unit just needs a little cohesiveness.

My biggest concern is going to be the secondary. I think we all have confidence in Gerry, but our corners so far have been iffy this season. I'd like to see them do a bit better job winning those one-on-one match-ups.

This is such an odd game. I can see either team winning by 14+ points...

I'm with you there. I could see this game playing out very similarly to last year's game with both teams pretty neck-and-neck and then one team pulling away at the end. Last year, it was a punishing rushing attack and beaten up Miami defense that proved to be the deciding factors. But our rushing attack isn't what it was last year - will it be enough to close out the game? I'm not so sure.