Are you suprised?

Highway6

Now true can stfu, tommy's garbage, our coaches are garbage; we'll be lucky to make a bowl!

Looks to me like Pellini left us with the cupboard pretty empty - we don't have the horses to run with a fast team (read this defensive backs) - reminds me of changes Osborne went through to compete in the top level. I see some big improvements in players who languished under the previous system.

I did see some players on defense quit following the ball - quit running - like the Cosgrove teams...THAT had me worried.

Welcome to the Mike Riley era. Nice coaches, terrible teams.

I had no idea you could see into the future. What's tomorrow's powerball and are you really good at picking games since you can see into the future?

How about we calm the F down.

Fans don't change, even though coaches do.

23 - 4 - 25 - 47 - 16 - 33

I am calm. Why don't you calm the F down.

I don't want to turn into Minnesota. The Golden Gophers were titans of college football in the 1930s & won a national championship as recently as 1960. They dropped off a cliff after that and have only recently become a contender in their own conference again.

I concur, and this was my original concern when you fire not one but two coaches who win over 70 percent of their games.

Neither Solich nor Pelini were going to get us where we want to be. Callahan wasn't an improvement over Solich (when you factor in Cosgrove), and it remains to be seen if Riley is an improvement over Pelini.

Nobody is beating down Frank's door to get him back to coaching a Power 5 school, though. It'll be interesting to see if anyone wants Pelini in years to come.

The problem is not firing coaches, but hiring coaches. Callahan was fired from the Raiders for running the team into the ground. Riley is a career mediocre coach. At least Bo was an up and coming DC, but NU has cash; get a top coach and a top staff.

I'm still concerned about the staff Riley put together. Especially on defense. Banker's defenses didn't impress at OSU, and so far they aren't better here. Three games is a terrible sample size, but there are some concerns, especially how the secondary suddenly seems inept when they were... "not inept" before. Davie didn't suddenly turn into a merde cover guy, neither did Kalu. Not sure what to make of that, but it's scheme-related, definitely.

I agree with the issue of hiring. Callahan was always a mistake, from Day 1 just about everyone knew it would end badly. Riley carries his own baggage, but seems more a "Nebraska Guy" than anyone since Solich. Does he have a run left in him at this stage of his career? A lot of that depends, I believe, on how married he is to his Assistants. If something isn't working, he's got to be ready to pull the trigger. Callahan wouldn't with Cosgrove, and it got him run out of town. Same's going to happen with Riley if his guys aren't cutting it and he won't make changes.

:laughpound

As if he cares? NU stepped up and guaranteed him a golden parachute/retirement fund that OSU would never have offered. Hell they couldn't even afford the buyout to fire him. NU paid it and then offered him more. He turns around and grabs the guys OSU also wanted fired and guarantees them a retirement package. Does anyone really believe he's planning to stay past 5 years? So what sort of pressure is going to make him rollover on his best bud Banker? Harvey and the GingerKid are probably already writing up new pay raises with buyouts that would make Jerry Jones have a stroke. Best to just buckle up...gonna be a bumpy ride. :bang

Just let it all out.

Just don't understand it. Trying real hard to be patient with the guy, but damn. I mean, situation : You're on the verge of being run outta town by the school you've dedicated a good chunk of your life to despite the lack of resources they provide. Only reason he's still there is because OSU doesn't think they can sell 3 million cupcakes at the campus bake sale to buy yer ass out. Along comes NU, tongue wagging and checkbook out, and says you're the guy, we got all the best toys, here's a blank check, just take us to the good times. So what do you do? You go drag all the guys who got you into that S#!T storm in the first place. Brilliant. Oh but he's "comfortable" with Banker and Cavanaugh, he can trust them. To do what? F^6k sh#t up and keep the hate focused on them rather than a "nice guy" like you? That's like chicks who hang around with fat girls to make themselves look hotter.

I'm just not seeing or feeling it right now. Looking at the schedule I can envision us never seeing the other side of .500 all season. And I'm out of #@!*&$@ beer!!! :frenchy

It's game THREE! That's about 20 games too few to make any sort of confident qualitative and quantitative judgment on the hire.

Hey you said let it out. Don't offer a shoulder to cry on then complain about the snot getting on your shirt. :wasted

And I'm just here to help everyone come back to the middle ground.

• Fire 1

I don't want to turn into Minnesota. The Golden Gophers were titans of college football in the 1930s & won a national championship as recently as 1960. They dropped off a cliff after that and have only recently become a contender in their own conference again.

I concur, and this was my original concern when you fire not one but two coaches who win over 70 percent of their games.

Neither Solich nor Pelini were going to get us where we want to be. Callahan wasn't an improvement over Solich (when you factor in Cosgrove), and it remains to be seen if Riley is an improvement over Pelini.

Nobody is beating down Frank's door to get him back to coaching a Power 5 school, though. It'll be interesting to see if anyone wants Pelini in years to come.

The problem is not firing coaches, but hiring coaches. Callahan was fired from the Raiders for running the team into the ground. Riley is a career mediocre coach. At least Bo was an up and coming DC, but NU has cash; get a top coach and a top staff.

I'm still concerned about the staff Riley put together. Especially on defense. Banker's defenses didn't impress at OSU, and so far they aren't better here. Three games is a terrible sample size, but there are some concerns, especially how the secondary suddenly seems inept when they were... "not inept" before. Davie didn't suddenly turn into a merde cover guy, neither did Kalu. Not sure what to make of that, but it's scheme-related, definitely.

I agree with the issue of hiring. Callahan was always a mistake, from Day 1 just about everyone knew it would end badly. Riley carries his own baggage, but seems more a "Nebraska Guy" than anyone since Solich. Does he have a run left in him at this stage of his career? A lot of that depends, I believe, on how married he is to his Assistants. If something isn't working, he's got to be ready to pull the trigger. Callahan wouldn't with Cosgrove, and it got him run out of town. Same's going to happen with Riley if his guys aren't cutting it and he won't make changes.

As if he cares? NU stepped up and guaranteed him a golden parachute/retirement fund that OSU would never have offered. Hell they couldn't even afford the buyout to fire him. NU paid it and then offered him more. He turns around and grabs the guys OSU also wanted fired and guarantees them a retirement package. Does anyone really believe he's planning to stay past 5 years? So what sort of pressure is going to make him rollover on his best bud Banker? Harvey and the GingerKid are probably already writing up new pay raises with buyouts that would make Jerry Jones have a stroke. Best to just buckle up...gonna be a bumpy ride. :bang

Just let it all out.

Just don't understand it. Trying real hard to be patient with the guy, but damn. I mean, situation : You're on the verge of being run outta town by the school you've dedicated a good chunk of your life to despite the lack of resources they provide. Only reason he's still there is because OSU doesn't think they can sell 3 million cupcakes at the campus bake sale to buy yer ass out. Along comes NU, tongue wagging and checkbook out, and says you're the guy, we got all the best toys, here's a blank check, just take us to the good times. So what do you do? You go drag all the guys who got you into that S#!T storm in the first place. Brilliant. Oh but he's "comfortable" with Banker and Cavanaugh, he can trust them. To do what? F^6k sh#t up and keep the hate focused on them rather than a "nice guy" like you? That's like chicks who hang around with fat girls to make themselves look hotter.

I'm just not seeing or feeling it right now. Looking at the schedule I can envision us never seeing the other side of .500 all season. And I'm out of #@!*&$@ beer!!! :frenchy

It's game THREE! That's about 20 games too few to make any sort of confident qualitative and quantitative judgment on the hire.

Hey you said let it out. Don't offer a shoulder to cry on then complain about the snot getting on your shirt. :wasted
if only I could remember Bo's first three games.... Or better yet his record through his first 20. Looking a lot better than Riley right now.

I had no idea you could see into the future. What's tomorrow's powerball and are you really good at picking games since you can see into the future?

Calming down on the fact that we are going to horrible throughout Riley's career here after three games.

People are seriously just stupid. We can't come to that conclusion yet....

if only I could remember Bo's first three games.... Or better yet his record through his first 20. Looking a lot better than Riley right now.

Bo beat the snot out of his first three opponents. 3-0 FTW.

Western Michigan 47-24

San Jose State 35-12

New Mexico State 38-7

Good thing Virginia Tech wasn't until game 4 that year.

So let's move the goalposts by pretending that never happened with Pelini. OK.

Has nothing to do with moving the goalposts......just as 408 has nothing to do with Riley being 1-2 as our head coach. Bashing Pelini is not making Riley look better. 408 is an attempted distraction. Riley is not yet sniffing Pelini's or Solich's winning percentage. He's right there with Callahan. Perfect.

408 was a big reason Bo was fired. Once that happened, it opened the door for Riley. It kind of effects it.

......and behind door #2.......
he had already been fired when that happened behind the door.

Calming down on the fact that we are going to horrible throughout Riley's career here after three games.

People are seriously just stupid. We can't come to that conclusion yet....

I guess, but if you're satisfied with Banker, Hughes, and Stewart that's your opinion. But it's not mine.

Just let it all out.

Huh? Bo's first 3 games came against eh hem Western Michigan, San Jose State, and New Mexico State. I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure all 3 of those teams would be maybe a 3 point favorite against South Alabama and certainly none of them would even get close to BYU and Miami.

It's easier to install and implement a system when you're facing teams that can't hang with you athletically and/or fundamentally.

Has nothing to do with moving the goalposts......just as 408 has nothing to do with Riley being 1-2 as our head coach. Bashing Pelini is not making Riley look better. 408 is an attempted distraction. Riley is not yet sniffing Pelini's or Solich's winning percentage. He's right there with Callahan. Perfect.

408 was a big reason Bo was fired. Once that happened, it opened the door for Riley. It kind of effects it.

It's not a Pelini reference. Riley isn't the only coach The Pearl and Eich could have chosen.

Just let it all out.

Huh? Bo's first 3 games came against eh hem Western Michigan, San Jose State, and New Mexico State. I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure all 3 of those teams would be maybe a 3 point favorite against South Alabama and certainly none of them would even get close to BYU and Miami.

It's easier to install and implement a system when you're facing teams that can't hang with you athletically and/or fundamentally.

Well, Pelini beat Miami one short season ago.

I'm surprised how tough out schedule is...

BYU- almost had them. They are now ranked and beating UCLA at half and had a nice win last week also.

USA- nice win, but now they knocked off San Diego State today.

Miami- 3-0. We were only opponent so far, and we didn't play well, but Kaaya will take them places with those weapons at WR.

Northwestern, Iowa, Michigan St haven't lost yet.

Minnesota and Wisconsin have, but will be very tough opponents. The B10 has gotten tough in a hurry.

Bo's first two losses were both at home by a combined 40 points. It took him five games. If Riley wins his next two they'll have the same record, but Riley won't have any blowouts. Starting with barer cupboards than Bo had, I'd say overall that's an improvement.

• Fire 3

It's not a Pelini reference. Riley isn't the only coach The Pearl and Eich could have chosen.

But he was the one they chose. We have absolutely NO IDEA what any other coach would've done at Nebraska. We hire Scott Frost, he loses the same way against BYU and Miami, then what? Are we mad at the world at Scott Frost too? Or are we more okay with it because we just happen to like the guy a little more?

See that's what I don't get:

Let's just imagine for a second that we could've hired anybody. With a few rare exceptions--truly good coaches are hard to find--there's not much of a link between success at school #1 and success at school #2. There are so many factors extraneous to the coach that play a role in a team's success. Brett Bielema did pretty well at Wisconsin, and he's now lost at home against Toledo and Texas Tech. Nick Saban didn't exactly set the world ablaze at Michigan State. Al Golden did well at Temple. At Miami? Not so much. Charlie Strong succeeded at Louisville. At Texas? Not so much. We have no idea how whomever we hired was going to perform at Nebraska. So why are we pretending like we knew this all along just because of an irrelevant winning percentage?