Have you seen me?

Hujan

So...is Wilbon not playing or being the starter a coaching mistake? Or is the just the case of "the backup is always better" I guess I find it hard to believe that staff doesn't know who the best RB is but considering that Gangwish started the year at DE it does make me wonder just a bit.

Yeah, the "backup is always better" explains the criticism in this thread. But what I think we're seeing is actually a good thing. Right now we have a wealth of RBs. Wilbon and Newby are both good enough to start on a lot of teams in the top 20. Heck, Adam Taylor might start on a lot of top 20 teams. And we haven't seen him at all. Riley might be evaluating our talent by giving each back carries during our OOC schedule. But rather than have a RB by committee and spread the carries around in each game, maybe Riley decided ahead of time which back was best suited for each of our OOC opponents. This would allow each RB to carry the load during a whole game, and really show us what he's got. It wouldn't surprise me to see Wilbon again more when our conference schedule starts. And I'm still hoping that we get to see Adam Taylor at some point.

If the coaches thought he was better, I'm sure he would be starting. It's possible, though, IMO, that he could overtake TNewb toward the end of the season. Alot of it depends on understanding the offense and blocking ability.

I think this is correct. The coaches know best. Whomever they have starting is there for a reason and should be the starter for the rest of the year.

Sincerely,

Daniel Davie

• Fire 1

Isn't Newby averaging over 6 yards per carry? Is that not good enough that you lose your job? It seems good to me.

I'd like to see what Newby's numbers look like without the scrimmage against South Alabama High. You and I both know Wilbon would have had over 200 yards in that game had he been toting the rock in that game instead of Newby. I also suspect that Newby's averages are a little inflated by (1) the small sample size (because we are not running much) and (2) the fact that he's sprinkled a few big runs in with a bunch of bad ones.

Look, I don't have an arbitrary agenda against Newby. I'm sure he's a fine young man, tries hard, and will make a fantastic husband and father someday. But he flunks the eye test. He looks tentative, runs upright, has poor vision, poor balance, and doesn't finish his runs.

From the little we've seen, Wilbon looks like he has the bigger upside and appears to be a better fit for this offense based on his ability to catch the ball. He is basically our version of Danny Woodhead. All I'm saying is give the kid a chance.

• Fire 3

The EYES never lie. I've seen Newby leave a lot of yards on the field that Wilbon would have capatilized on. That is a fact.

Well.....no.....the only fact in this statement is that you saw Newby run the ball. You can be pretty sure on some plays there were more yards to be gained. It is pure speculation that Wilbon would have gained those yards.

I pointed out in a different thread a few weeks ago that over the course of last year Imani Cross had better numbers across the board than Newby. For our system (no offense to Cross), this probably shouldn't happen.

That doesn't have anything to do with the statement you made as "fact".

Of course it technically isn't a fact, but should be clear to see. Without DPE we completely lack any real athleticism (sadly on both sides of the ball). I think Wilbon has his own niche' that would really help boost the offense.

We knew we would miss Ameer, Bell, and Gregory - but with that went our athletic play makers.

I don't agree with that.

On offense we have Armstrong, Westerkamp, Morgan, Rieley, Moore

On defense we have Collins, Rose-Ivey, Young, Gerry.

Do we have enough? Maybe not. But, we do have some extremely good athletes on both sides of the ball. Those athletes need to be playing better football so we can win more games.

The players you named are good players, but I wouldn't call them overly athletic. Gerry would be the only one I could see in that bucket. We don't have a big play threat if you haven't seen a game yet.

• Fire 2

The EYES never lie. I've seen Newby leave a lot of yards on the field that Wilbon would have capatilized on. That is a fact.

Well.....no.....the only fact in this statement is that you saw Newby run the ball. You can be pretty sure on some plays there were more yards to be gained. It is pure speculation that Wilbon would have gained those yards.

I pointed out in a different thread a few weeks ago that over the course of last year Imani Cross had better numbers across the board than Newby. For our system (no offense to Cross), this probably shouldn't happen.

Of course it technically isn't a fact, but should be clear to see. Without DPE we completely lack any real athleticism (sadly on both sides of the ball). I think Wilbon has his own niche' that would really help boost the offense.

We knew we would miss Ameer, Bell, and Gregory - but with that went our athletic play makers.

I don't agree with that.

Do we have enough? Maybe not. But, we do have some extremely good athletes on both sides of the ball. Those athletes need to be playing better football so we can win more games.

The players you named are good players, but I wouldn't call them overly athletic. Gerry would be the only one I could see in that bucket. We don't have a big play threat if you haven't seen a game yet.

i would guess you don't know about westerkamp if you don't think he isn't known for big plays.

I don't agree with that.

i would guess you don't know about westerkamp if you don't think he isn't known for big plays.

Or the potential that Morgan is just now starting to show glimpses of.

So...is Wilbon not playing or being the starter a coaching mistake? Or is the just the case of "the backup is always better" I guess I find it hard to believe that staff doesn't know who the best RB is but considering that Gangwish started the year at DE it does make me wonder just a bit.

Yeah, the "backup is always better" explains the criticism in this thread. But what I think we're seeing is actually a good thing. Right now we have a wealth of RBs. Wilbon and Newby are both good enough to start on a lot of teams in the top 20. Heck, Adam Taylor might start on a lot of top 20 teams. And we haven't seen him at all. Riley might be evaluating our talent by giving each back carries during our OOC schedule. But rather than have a RB by committee and spread the carries around in each game, maybe Riley decided ahead of time which back was best suited for each of our OOC opponents. This would allow each RB to carry the load during a whole game, and really show us what he's got. It wouldn't surprise me to see Wilbon again more when our conference schedule starts. And I'm still hoping that we get to see Adam Taylor at some point.

If the coaches thought he was better, I'm sure he would be starting. It's possible, though, IMO, that he could overtake TNewb toward the end of the season. Alot of it depends on understanding the offense and blocking ability.

I think this is correct. The coaches know best. Whomever they have starting is there for a reason and should be the starter for the rest of the year.

Sincerely,

Daniel Davie

Nobody is saying certain players should be made starters for the rest of the year if they're starting now. The point I always make is that the coaches see a hell of a lot more than we do in practices and in the game film. They also have to handle the players from a personal standpoint. There are dozens of reasons a player may not be seeing any PT. Coaches are human and can certainly make mistakes, but, there's obviously something they don't like about Wilbon, Cross, etc., or else those guys would be seeing more playing time.

It's the same deal with the incessant "where is Adam Taylor" nonsense. If the dude was ready to see the field, he'd be there. Plain and simple.

As to your point about Davie, he was benched. It's not like the coaches won't try and address problems they see.

Isn't Newby averaging over 6 yards per carry? Is that not good enough that you lose your job? It seems good to me.

I'd like to see what Newby's numbers look like without the scrimmage against South Alabama High. You and I both know Wilbon would have had over 200 yards in that game had he been toting the rock in that game instead of Newby. I also suspect that Newby's averages are a little inflated by (1) the small sample size (because we are not running much) and (2) the fact that he's sprinkled a few big runs in with a bunch of bad ones.

How does anybody know that, including yourself? Our sample size of Wilbon is a spring game and a handful of touches this season. There's absolutely nothing factual about your bolded statement. We simply haven't seen enough yet.

I, like you, have nothing out against any player, be it Newby, Wilbon or anyone else. But, teams practice for a reason, because the vast majority of players transition their talents from the practice field to the playing field. Wilbon could be battling an undisclosed injury, may suck at pass pro, may drop a lot of catches, perhaps fumbles a lot in practice, on and on and on. This whole "give the kid a chance" mentality is a fallacy 9/10 times. Going into a game just doesn't all of a sudden make a player better than he is.

Don't get me wrong, either. Newby has done well but he hasn't wowed me, or really any of us. Could Wilbon do better? Sure. But, he needs to prove he is better where it matters - in practice and the film room. For whatever reason, he hasn't.

• Fire 1

Sincerely,

Daniel Davie

Nobody is saying certain players should be made starters for the rest of the year if they're starting now. The point I always make is that the coaches see a hell of a lot more than we do in practices and in the game film. They also have to handle the players from a personal standpoint. There are dozens of reasons a player may not be seeing any PT. Coaches are human and can certainly make mistakes, but, there's obviously something they don't like about Wilbon, Cross, etc., or else those guys would be seeing more playing time.

It's the same deal with the incessant "where is Adam Taylor" nonsense. If the dude was ready to see the field, he'd be there. Plain and simple.

As to your point about Davie, he was benched. It's not like the coaches won't try and address problems they see.

How does anybody know that, including yourself? Our sample size of Wilbon is a spring game and a handful of touches this season. There's absolutely nothing factual about your bolded statement. We simply haven't seen enough yet.

I, like you, have nothing out against any player, be it Newby, Wilbon or anyone else. But, teams practice for a reason, because the vast majority of players transition their talents from the practice field to the playing field. Wilbon could be battling an undisclosed injury, may suck at pass pro, may drop a lot of catches, perhaps fumbles a lot in practice, on and on and on. This whole "give the kid a chance" mentality is a fallacy 9/10 times. Going into a game just doesn't all of a sudden make a player better than he is.

Don't get me wrong, either. Newby has done well but he hasn't wowed me, or really any of us. Could Wilbon do better? Sure. But, he needs to prove he is better where it matters - in practice and the film room. For whatever reason, he hasn't.

Agree with all you said. Fans gotta chill, sheesh.

Wilbon probably doesn't have the blocking schemes down, is my guess. Newby is more the complete package right now--as per coaches' decision--and still has a ton of upside, IMO. Wilbon will be increasingly worked into the mix.

I don't agree with that.

Westerkamp is a great receiver but he cannot stretch the field all that well. He will catch anything thrown his way and I wouldn't change him for any other WR in the B10. Again, this isn't the point I am making. DPE can make one man miss and he's gone. There are several other WRs in the country who regularly run fade and go routes because they have the speed to get behind the defense.

• Fire 1

I don't agree with that.

Westerkamp is a great receiver but he cannot stretch the field all that well. He will catch anything thrown his way and I wouldn't change him for any other WR in the B10. Again, this isn't the point I am making. DPE can make one man miss and he's gone. There are several other WRs in the country who regularly run fade and go routes because they have the speed to get behind the defense.

I dont think I'd trade Westy for any other possession type receiver in the country. Some of the best hands I've ever seen, runs great routes, and can get some decent YAC. Not a home run vertical threat guy, and we're still waiting for someone to emerge in that regard. Moore supposedly has speed, or maybe Morgan can be that guy in time. We do need a speed burner than can stretch the field.

I kind of wish they'd use JT on those fly sweeps, etc, and am wondering where the heck that guy has been.

I don't agree with that.

I dont think I'd trade Westy for any other possession type receiver in the country. Some of the best hands I've ever seen, runs great routes, and can get some decent YAC. Not a home run vertical threat guy, and we're still waiting for someone to emerge in that regard. Moore supposedly has speed, or maybe Morgan can be that guy in time. We do need a speed burner than can stretch the field.

I kind of wish they'd use JT on those fly sweeps, etc, and am wondering where the heck that guy has been.

They did use him and he got stuffed for a three yard loss on a fly sweep in the BYU game. Something is not there with Turner when it comes to making plays for what ever reason. Westy has plenty of speed, when you see him in a year at the combine, and I truly believe he will be there, he will run in the mid 4.5's. He is just better at running routes that he isn't going to be used that way.

I don't agree with that.

They did use him and he got stuffed for a three yard loss on a fly sweep in the BYU game. Something is not there with Turner when it comes to making plays for what ever reason. Westy has plenty of speed, when you see him in a year at the combine, and I truly believe he will be there, he will run in the mid 4.5's. He is just better at running routes that he isn't going to be used that way.

As to JT, well, when a guy only gets 1-2 possible touches per game, it's hard to get into any flow. I'm a little surprised he's not in there more as a receiver, but maybe he's just been beaten out by the others. Reilly is really become a gamer for us, like the guy alot.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited by the talent and buzz surrounding Wilbon.

He's what, a redshirt freshman?

It's not a stretch to think he's a promising young back who's not quite as ready or polished in all phases of the game as the #1 guy. If he has a good year behind the scenes, maybe he works his way into the rotation more as the year goes on. Maybe he breaks out and becomes the next Husker great, something we wouldn't have guessed about Ameer after his freshman year, I think. Maybe not.

It's also pretty easy to lead all running backs in yards per carry when suddenly you're basically the only guy getting the touches.

It is what it is I guess. If the guy has the play making ability that was talked about all spring not to mention the flashes he showed in his first game at BYU if you're going to throw as much as you decided to against Miami wouldn't you want to give MW a few passes thrown his way to give that defense something to think about? Heck if anything he's a pretty nice release valve for Armstrong because he can make people miss. How about a different style of runner to come at the Canes with? He looks too good to not be on the field imo.

• Fire 2

Did we call any designed runs for TA? There were probably a couple but I don't remember any.

There was an excellent QB sweep play called on a 3rd down early in the game. It was blown up, Lewis couldn't hold his block. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jyjtlreRhk?t=20m26s

I like the play, and wonder how it will be utilized going forward.

I don't know how I feel about Newby yet. It's still early... I'd like to know where Ameer was when he got the start due to Burkhead injury. I remember him being good, but he wasn't "Ameer good" at that point.

There's something that Newby doesn't do that I saw both Ameer and Burkhead do. And that is driving you legs during and after contact. Burkhead was really good at it, and you could tell Ameer picked that up. I haven't seen Newby do it. It seems when he gets hit, that's it.

I'd like to see Newby at the end of the year. I have to admit that after the USA game, I wasn't overly impressed with Newby's 198 yards. You'd have to be crazy to say that, but it's true.

I honestly like Wilbon. Regardless of how we usually like to "view" back ups as "better", I wouldn't say that if I was impressed with the starter.

It might just plainly come down to his pass protection. It might not be up to par. That might be a huge factor.

I hope to see more of him throughout the year.

• Fire 2

Did we call any designed runs for TA? There were probably a couple but I don't remember any.

There was an excellent QB sweep play called on a 3rd down early in the game. It was blown up, Lewis couldn't hold his block. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jyjtlreRhk?t=20m26s

I like the play, and wonder how it will be utilized going forward.

Just getting around to re-watching the game and noticed that play as well. It's an interesting look but it's not so much Lewis not holding his block as it is Carter not getting his down block. But the guy Carter is supposed to block down on is inside the tackle. That's a long way to go to get a block. That guy doesn't make the tackle but he disrupts the timing of the play. If TA gets to the hole quicker, it was probably there.

There was also another called run for TA a few plays before that so there were a couple here and there.