Brian Stewart and the Secondary

thatguy

We're playing quarters coverage. No help over top. Safties in box. Im not saying our corners are playing great but the system is COMPLETELY different than the no vertical seam, stack defenses we played under Bo. Give them some time to get used to things. Nice all you "forever lurkers" can come out and let everyone know the issues. The big question is, you watch football, but how many on here understand it even close enough to just call for heads after 3, 3 f'ing games!!!!!????? Settle the f#*k down!!

This is so spot on. I may well be calling for MR's head at some point in the future, but after three games? THREE GAMES? Pure irrationality......or in the case of one guy, trolling.

• Fire 1

The concerning issue is the comments that Stewart said after the USA game. To paraphrase, could've helped him, but didn't want to tip our hand"...... The help was obviously let Davie get beat by Miami for 2 TD's and then pull him. That's not a scheme, that's BS.

Banker talked about his D being "vulnerable" to the deep route, but its one of the hardest passes to make. Wants to make those 50/50 balls. Davie, against USA was thrown on 11. They completed 8....... If I am an OC, I take those odds.

I also think that the DB's need to play MUCH MORE PHYSICAL at the LOS and at the point of the catch. Miami was flat out eating the wood in that game. Man, I wished we hit like that (no, not the 2 ejections), but that head hunting, catch the ball in my house and get lit up intensity. Our guys rarely got a free catch in that game. Miami was on point.

Our DL, while not getting great pressure only increases an already difficult task for a DB on an Island. Bump the receiver at the line, disrupt the route and the timing. Instead of the DB's having to cover for an extra few seconds, give the DL and extra few seconds or steps to get the friggin QB. No way a static guy like Kaaya should have been sacked once...... Oh and get your friggin hands up. If you can't get to the QB at least give him some obstacle. If teams are using quicker routes and shorter drops as some have posted, knock a receiver off the route messes the timing and requires the QB to reset or start progressing though his reads. This means more time to get to him....

Scheme vs talent? I go scheme (and coaching to get them ready). Name some of the greatest DB's to play the game and you'd be hard pressed to find many who made a living on an island.... It takes a special guy. A lot different to know one misstep and your burnt. Like toast.

• Fire 3

just call for heads after 3, 3 f'ing games!!!!!????? Settle the f#*k down!!

Ironic, don't you think, using 7 exclamation points and two profanities in instructing everybody else to remain calm in their posts. I give you four smilies (one is Kenny Bell!) for the smile it gave me. :smokin:B):clap:afro:

Keep calm and Chive on!

The concerning issue is the comments that Stewart said after the USA game. To paraphrase, could've helped him, but didn't want to tip our hand"...... The help was obviously let Davie get beat by Miami for 2 TD's and then pull him. That's not a scheme, that's BS.

Stewart was supposed to KNOW Davie was going to get beat again before it happened? I don't get what you're saying here at all.

If Davie is one of the best we've got, as determined by these coaches, then it seems reasonable that they would give him a shot at redeeming himself. You don't just ASSUME a kid is gonna f#*k up and never give him a chance again. This isn't Bo Pelini coaching this team anymore.

Maybe it's a confidence issue with Davie. I've heard from multiple people say Davie is big and fast enough to play at the next level. I've thought so myself. Hes just never been challeneged like this before in this thpe of scheme. Hes got to learn to forget and move to the next play.

What if Daniel Davie had come out in that Miami game and made a interception right out of the gate? Something like that could give the guy the boost in confidence he needs. Hell, it might turn his whole mindset and season around.

You don't just give up on a guy if he makes a mistake. These guys are coaches after all, they're trying to build these men, not tear them down like too many of enjoy doing so much.

Stewart was supposed to KNOW Davie was going to get beat again before it happened? I don't get what you're saying here at all.

If Davie is one of the best we've got, as determined by these coaches, then it seems reasonable that they would give him a shot at redeeming himself. You don't just ASSUME a kid is gonna f#*k up and never give him a chance again. This isn't Bo Pelini coaching this team anymore.

Maybe it's a confidence issue with Davie. I've heard from multiple people say Davie is big and fast enough to play at the next level. I've thought so myself. Hes just never been challeneged like this before in this thpe of scheme. Hes got to learn to forget and move to the next play.

What if Daniel Davie had come out in that Miami game and made a interception right out of the gate? Something like that could give the guy the boost in confidence he needs. Hell, it might turn his whole mindset and season around.

You don't just give up on a guy if he makes a mistake. These guys are coaches after all, they're trying to build these men, not tear them down like too many of enjoy doing so much.

The point about Stewart's comment is this. After getting beat like a drum, Stewart (after USA) said that there were things that could done to have helped Davie. Specifically referring to that game. He continued that he they (defensive staff) didn't want to tip his hand. Banker then said he basically wanted Davie to figure out those balls as the game with USA was never in doubt. Stewart even told Davie after the USA game Kaaya would come after him. ( Stewart said he expects Kaaya to try to work the right side of the field until Davie proves he's got it covered during Saturday's game in Miami Gardens, Florida.

"I'd do it, too," Stewart said. "They're going to see if we've got that fixed. We're going to show them we got it fixed.")So yes, Stewart knew Davie would get thrown to. IIRC, even MRI said the first play would be PA with a throw towards Davie to test him.( "I'm pretty sure the first play is going to be play-action pass deep shot," linebacker Michael Rose-Ivey said. "They're going to keep testing him. I know Daniel is going to respond well.")

The staff knew, the team knew and Davie and the system went right back into Miami. Married to a system that NU is struggling with right now. Much like Bo married to his 2 high safety to the tune of some of our worst defeats. The one bright side is this is game 4 coming up, not year 7.

Fast forward to Miami. There was no schematic change from the first whistle to the time they yanked Davie. If the staff had another plan to "help" him, I would have hoped it would have been shown down 17-3. It would appear the only schematic change they have is to pull him.

Before you throw me into the tearing into Davie crowd, refer to my post in the thread specifically about him and the concerning comments from Stewart thread. After USA, there was nothing done schematically to help Davie. Folks can blame him all they want, but the staff made comments about "fixes" and did nothing.......

• Fire 7

I didn't throw you in the crowd. Said there's plenty here in the business.

Sounds to me Stewart was challenging Davie. On a man to man level.

I like it.

This team needs to learn to rise to the occasion and rise up when they meet adversity. This staff must've done their homework on how these guys have not been able to handle adversity so well in the past.

When things go wrong, we need to bounce back. I think that Miami game showed that these kids are learning that lesson a bit. In that heat, and the way the game started, they could've laid down for Miami. They didn't. They almost pulled off a hell of a comeback.

So while Davie wasn't personally able to rise up in that game, I'm hoping his teammates learn the same lesson they are trying to teach him, and maybe Davie gets another shot down the road to be that guy. That'd be neat.

We're playing quarters coverage. No help over top. Safties in box. Im not saying our corners are playing great but the system is COMPLETELY different than the no vertical seam, stack defenses we played under Bo. Give them some time to get used to things. Nice all you "forever lurkers" can come out and let everyone know the issues. The big question is, you watch football, but how many on here understand it even close enough to just call for heads after 3, 3 f'ing games!!!!!????? Settle the f#*k down!!

the only one who needs to settle down here is you...

no one here is letting "everyone know the issues". i watch football, and the original question was one intended to help understand the coaching and play.

so you calm down. no one is calling for heads in this thread.

Anyone think that our DBs would be playing better with Warren?

No. They had they exact se issues last year. People thought that because passing yards were so low it because the secondary was so strong. The teams that gashed us usually ran the ball and didn't really need to throw.

It's the same players. Any pass rush, which the team struggled with even with Gregory, would be helpful. The safety help would be nice, but I would rather see the corners tighten up or be a little more aggressive. I like what Gerry is doing in the run game.

Anyone think that our DBs would be playing better with Warren?

No. They had they exact se issues last year. People thought that because passing yards were so low it because the secondary was so strong. The teams that gashed us usually ran the ball and didn't really need to throw.

It's the same players. Any pass rush, which the team struggled with even with Gregory, would be helpful. The safety help would be nice, but I would rather see the corners tighten up or be a little more aggressive. I like what Gerry is doing in the run game.

Well North Carolina is 12th in the nation in pass defense at the moment. Its early in the season, but it might be fun to compare how warren does against Kaaya when NC plays Miami in November.

the only one who needs to settle down here is you...

no one here is letting "everyone know the issues". i watch football, and the original question was one intended to help understand the coaching and play.

so you calm down. no one is calling for heads in this thread.

Soo..you really are "that guy". By calling a guy "Elmassian" you are basically asking for his head b/c we all know Elmassian should have been fired given his track record over 4 years here. Its been 3 games in a completely different scheme. And also, i dont think all the DBs have played that bad. Kalu, Cockrell, and Davies have had their troubles, but DRex, Rose, and Jones i think have played pretty well. Why come out of lurking now and point to things that maybe arent quite up to snuff yet?

Banker talked about his D being "vulnerable" to the deep route, but its one of the hardest passes to make. Wants to make those 50/50 balls. Davie, against USA was thrown on 11. They completed 8....... If I am an OC, I take those odds.

I also think that the DB's need to play MUCH MORE PHYSICAL at the LOS and at the point of the catch. Miami was flat out eating the wood in that game. Man, I wished we hit like that (no, not the 2 ejections), but that head hunting, catch the ball in my house and get lit up intensity. Our guys rarely got a free catch in that game. Miami was on point.

Our DL, while not getting great pressure only increases an already difficult task for a DB on an Island. Bump the receiver at the line, disrupt the route and the timing. Instead of the DB's having to cover for an extra few seconds, give the DL and extra few seconds or steps to get the friggin QB. No way a static guy like Kaaya should have been sacked once...... Oh and get your friggin hands up. If you can't get to the QB at least give him some obstacle. If teams are using quicker routes and shorter drops as some have posted, knock a receiver off the route messes the timing and requires the QB to reset or start progressing though his reads. This means more time to get to him....

Scheme vs talent? I go scheme (and coaching to get them ready). Name some of the greatest DB's to play the game and you'd be hard pressed to find many who made a living on an island.... It takes a special guy. A lot different to know one misstep and your burnt. Like toast.

This is a good answer to the OP's question. This new scheme has our secondary playing off man, quarters coverage. This defense leaves the secondary exposed to either the underneath or deep balls because (1) the WR are not getting jammed at the line to get them off their route or disrupt the timing and (2) the DB get no help over the top. It essentially gives the WR a two-way go, either leveraging inside (for underneath routes) or outside (for vertical passes). We have not been getting beat underneath as much, which is likely because our opponents are opting to throw the deep ball but also the LB have been decent in helping to stop the underneath passing game. The compounding issue is we are getting no pass rush from the DL to get the QB out of his lane. This is allowing for the vertical passing game to develop for our opponents, which is likely another reason they are going to it so much.

The easy solution would be to play more press in this zone coverage and leverage the vertical routes by using the boundaries as another "defender". Still, our DB are being asked to do a lot more than last year, and not all DB are good at press coverage (though Freshman Eric Lee and RS Freshman Trai Mosley looked really good at this in high school).

The DB are being asked to play on islands this year as opposed to Bo's brackets coverage, where each receiver gets double covered (a big reason why we had trouble stopping the run game, but that is a different topic).

• Fire 1