Brian Stewart and the Secondary

thatguy

so this is something that has been on my mind since the first game.

it really seems to me like brian stewart is really struggling as a secondaries coach, and as i've mentioned before, if there is any coach on this staff that i feel will cost us games, its coach stewart. the play is just not good enough, and i don't think you can really explain away the dropoff in coverage between last year's secondary and this year's secondary simply by scheme. even if the scheme is different, there is an attitude, a swagger and a play style that they need to have that is just not there with them this year.

for those in the know, how is the coaching in that area viewed among the coaches and/or players? so far, it seems like he is mike riley's elmassian.

it really seems to me like brian stewart is really struggling as a secondaries coach, and as i've mentioned before, if there is any coach on this staff that i feel will cost us games, its coach stewart. the play is just not good enough, and i don't think you can really explain away the dropoff in coverage between last year's secondary and this year's secondary simply by scheme. even if the scheme is different, there is an attitude, a swagger and a play style that they need to have that is just not there with them this year.

for those in the know, how is the coaching in that area viewed among the coaches and/or players? so far, it seems like he is mike riley's elmassian.

The biggest change in this defense for the worse is for cornerbacks. Everyone else is playing more down hill and being asked to do less thinking. The CB are being asked to do less thinking, but a lot more physically. They are being asked to be true cover corners without much help. Davie has played poorly there is no question about that, but there job description has changed completely and they have played some Pretty good WR and QB's to date.

BYU had very tall good hands decent speed WR and 2 good QB's

S. Alabama had that one good receiver who was a transfer from Alabama and that QB could really throw the deep fade.

Miami Kaaya and his WR are the most talented group they will see this year. Rob Zatechka on his pod cast that said was the most physically talented team he has seen in a long time.

We won't see QB/WR talent like this until the MSU game, and they aren't as talented as Miami.

S. Miss will throw the rock around some also, but I think we will see some better execution.

The secondary will get better with more reps, it will just take some time. I would rather give up 300 yards a game passing than 200 a game rushing.

The biggest change in this defense for the worse is for cornerbacks. Everyone else is playing more down hill and being asked to do less thinking. The CB are being asked to do less thinking, but a lot more physically. They are being asked to be true cover corners without much help. Davie has played poorly there is no question about that, but there job description has changed completely and they have played some Pretty good WR and QB's to date.

S. Alabama had that one good receiver who was a transfer from Alabama and that QB could really throw the deep fade.

Miami Kaaya and his WR are the most talented group they will see this year. Rob Zatechka on his pod cast that said was the most physically talented team he has seen in a long time.

We won't see QB/WR talent like this until the MSU game, and they aren't as talented as Miami.

S. Miss will throw the rock around some also, but I think we will see some better execution.

The secondary will get better with more reps, it will just take some time. I would rather give up 300 yards a game passing than 200 a game rushing.

The kid from USA walked on at Alabama. He wasnt a schollie kid and he wasnt that good. Tired of excused for our poor pass defense. If we dont fix our secondary Minnesota will throw the ball all over the yard.

• Fire 1

The kid from USA walked on at Alabama. He wasnt a schollie kid and he wasnt that good. Tired of excused for our poor pass defense. If we dont fix our secondary Minnesota will throw the ball all over the yard.

Minnesota is about 4 or 5 on the list of teams we will play in conference. for a passing attack. I don't think you have been watching much football. Illinois, MSU, Wisconsin, and Purdue all throw the the ball better than they do.

I never said the coverage looked great it hasn't. I am not making excuses. They haven't covered the ball well and I am giving the OP some reasons why it has happened. I said they are being asked to basically play on an island, I said the WR/QB they have played against are pretty good Tell me one team left on our regular season schedule that has as much talent at WR/QB match up as Miami.

Miami and S. Alabama threw a lot of 3 step stuff. Even S. Alabama's deep fade he was throwing quickly to a spot. This helps negate the pass rush. Against BYU they were worried about QB runs that slowed down the pass rush.

It is not always that NU'[s secondary just sucks. What the other team does plays a part into it. Things come into play other than they just need to play better and need to fix the secondary.

They do need to play better, but it is not always that simple.

ok. i'll bookmark this for after the game on saturday. i might just do a play by play breakdown of pass plays during that game.

ok. i'll bookmark this for after the game on saturday. i might just do a play by play breakdown of pass plays during that game.

That's great, but as I said S. Miss will throw the ball around some and they will have some success. If they hold them around 275 passing that will be a great showing. Look don't expect to see 15 of 42 for 180 yards and 2 ints. If won't happen but I will take 275 and 60 yards rushing by them.

We're playing quarters coverage. No help over top. Safties in box. Im not saying our corners are playing great but the system is COMPLETELY different than the no vertical seam, stack defenses we played under Bo. Give them some time to get used to things. Nice all you "forever lurkers" can come out and let everyone know the issues. The big question is, you watch football, but how many on here understand it even close enough to just call for heads after 3, 3 f'ing games!!!!!????? Settle the f#*k down!!

• Fire 6

We're playing quarters coverage. No help over top. Safties in box. Im not saying our corners are playing great but the system is COMPLETELY different than the no vertical seam, stack defenses we played under Bo. Give them some time to get used to things. Nice all you "forever lurkers" can come out and let everyone know the issues. The big question is, you watch football, but how many on here understand it even close enough to just call for heads after 3, 3 f'ing games!!!!!????? Settle the f#*k down!!

+1

Anyone think that our DBs would be playing better with Warren?

I have seen three games with Brian Stewart and he was a DC just like warren was. I will give it time for these players to adapt as well. I am just curious to see what others think. If these players get the system down and execute it we will see a much better defense.This will lead to players enjoying being on an island ready to cover anyone and not shy away from them as well as being more aggressive rather than passive.