Chatelain: Nebraska's Mike Riley has complimentary breakfast, but still no place to call homee to call home

zoogs

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/chatelain-any-day-now-nebraska-coach-mike-riley-will-feel/article_5e1dbf24-3191-58b5-87f0-42567d187814.html

Sure, the view across 11th Street isnt great Mistys. And its not cheap Ive got a lot of Hilton points added up. But his bed is made every day. And the complimentary breakfast is hard to beat.

Nice story, Dirk!

So, Riley is going to settle into his new home soon. Thus ends a chapter.

• Fire 1

Good article by Dirk.

I hate to bring it up but I just couldn't help thinking about it as I was reading this article. We actually have some "fans" who have already made up their mind about MR and he isn't even out of transitional housing at a hotel yet. Talk about inpatient or, in many cases, never giving the guy a chance. I want so bad for things to work out for MR and Husker football. Not sure how real program supporters could not feel the same.

• Fire 6

Good article by Dirk.

I hate to bring it up but I just couldn't help thinking about it as I was reading this article. We actually have some "fans" who have already made up their mind about MR and he isn't even out of transitional housing at a hotel yet. Talk about inpatient or, in many cases, never giving the guy a chance. I want so bad for things to work out for MR and Husker football. Not sure how real program supporters could not feel the same.

I agree with you hundred percent. But at the same time it doesn't take most people nine or 10 months to find a house. Especially when you probably have a pretty nice budget.

As lo country touched on already, the most telling part of that article is Riley wanting to walk straight through the crowd after the loss and use the main elevator. He doesn't need people to hide behind, face your challenges head on and man up. I'll tell you, I don't know many people that would do that. You may not like him as a coach (I do), but there's no way you can't respect the guy.

• Fire 6

Budget? He has already made enough money to pay cash for three houses! Didn't Callahan live in a hotel for the entire time or a bunch of it and his family never did move out to Lincoln? Maybe that was an assistant but I recall something about that with a coach.

It wasn’t easy. She has a chemical sensitivity to certain paints, varnishes and other materials. Throughout the winter and spring, she spent days touring Lincoln homes, seeking a place that didn’t make her sick. Meanwhile, she bounced back and forth from the Riley home in Corvallis, where their daughter, Kate, and grandson, Eli, still live.

Little bit more of a challenge for them to find a house.

Budget? He has already made enough money to pay cash for three houses! Didn't Callahan live in a hotel for the entire time or a bunch of it and his family never did move out to Lincoln? Maybe that was an assistant but I recall something about that with a coach.

Callahan actually had a pretty nice house. He ended up losing a couple hundred thousand when he sold it. It sat on the market for something like 2 years after he left Lincoln since 2008 wasn't a good time to try to unload a $1.6M house.

Good article by Dirk.

I agree with you hundred percent. But at the same time it doesn't take most people nine or 10 months to find a house. Especially when you probably have a pretty nice budget.

I consider myself one of those and I do agree. Just think how his players must feel about playing for him. That lends to a team that not only plays with poise but passion. That's the type of team I can root for

I really liked this part:

“He has really good spirits,” says Tiff, the breakfast supervisor. “When he and his wife first started staying here, we just kinda bonded. When he comes down, he’ll fist-bump me.”

She calls him “Mike,” because “Coach” feels too formal. She has worked at the Embassy Suites since it opened 15 years ago. She was here when Bill Callahan stayed at the hotel after his hire in 2004. She was here when Bo Pelini did the same four years later.

Often they ordered food and never picked it up, Tiff says. They expected someone to take it to their rooms.

“Mike actually sits and eats.”

“He even says goodbye,” says Jessica, a breakfast assistant.