Gun control ideas

What ideas do people think we should have for gum control? If any?

I'm a supporter of fingerprint recognition triggers

Some type of mental evaluation

And does anyone really need an ak47 with a fully automatic and 3000 round banana clip? That's not home defense and not for hunting. All it does is serve as compensation for something you feel inferior about.

A higher bar for ownership that reduces the level of gun ownership and the number of guns in circulation. Federally sponsored research from the CDC to advise policy. Government sponsored buyback programs to encourage a reduction of guns in circulation. Keep rights but improve the situation. Promote more anti-gun education (which is no more a threat to the responsible gun owner than anti-alcohol and anti-smoking initiatives are to those who choose it anyway, or use them responsibly).

Fully automatic AK47s are of course not allowed already and while we can always have a conversation about what else should or shouldn't be legal, it doesn't take high capacity clips to commit gun violence -- whether it's suicide, inappropriate nonlethal use (i.e, threats), lethal crime, or mass shootings.

*** edit *** so, I guess I may be wrong about fully automatic AK47s are of course not allowed.

• Fire 1

And does anyone really need an ak47 with a fully automatic and 3000 round banana clip? That's not home defense and not for hunting. All it does is serve as compensation for something you feel inferior about.

I didn't know that's what American's were packing....well in that case....

The only people with something like that are either rich (because automatic weapons cost $10k+), or have a government connection.

Ya and one thing no one mentions is the cartels in Mexico/So.Am that try to smuggle drugs into the country, then start smuggling guns in.

It's funny to me that people think that just cuz it's illegal to own means that it will go away.

I think the last thing you want to do is make it harder for responsible gun owners to get them. Ive read countless stories of people with concealed carry permits stopping robberies and other crimes because they were legally carrying. How about put armed guards at every school in America? That would be a lot better IMO

• Fire 1

Ya and one thing no one mentions is the cartels in Mexico/So.Am that try to smuggle drugs into the country, then start smuggling guns in.

It's funny to me that people think that just cuz it's illegal to own means that it will go away.

I think the last thing you want to do is make it harder for responsible gun owners to get them. Ive read countless stories of people with concealed carry permits stopping robberies and other crimes because they were legally carrying. How about put armed guards at every school in America? That would be a lot better IMO

Better, yes, but still not good in my opinion...begins the slippery slope of "Police State"

I'm fairly anti-gun control. However, I'm all for stricter, more thorough background checks. I'm also for better gun education and more responsible gun ownership. And being realistic, unless you take away guns completely, I do not think there is much you can do besides trying to determine who should or shouldn't have them (mentally unhealthy, criminals, etc).

Beefing up school security would be a good idea as well.

Yeah, hired security at schools would probably put a stop to it. Security everywhere would put a stop to it....which isn't practical, and if it were, it's not what we would want. How do you cover every cafeteria, every lecture hall, every dormitory on a single wide open campus, for example?

Among individuals, more guns = more gun threats.

Yes, I'm sure there are stories of gun-carrying heroes. However, in volume, I believe it is fair to claim that gun violence incidence far outstrips the hero stories. An increase in gun population may increase the latter, at the expense of an even greater increase in the former. That does not sound like a desirable outcome.

Yeah, hired security at schools would probably put a stop to it. Security everywhere would put a stop to it....which isn't practical, and if it were, it's not what we would want. How do you cover every cafeteria, every lecture hall, every dormitory on a single wide open campus, for example?

Among individuals, more guns = more gun threats.

Yes, I'm sure there are stories of gun-carrying heroes. However, in volume, I believe it is fair to claim that gun violence incidence far outstrips the hero stories. An increase in gun population may increase the latter, at the expense of an even greater increase in the former. That does not sound like a desirable outcome.

Depending on the size of the school (k-12) you should only need 2-4. Most campuses have police or security already. I think it should only apply to schools no doubt. It isn't practical anywhere else.