What did we learn: Fighting Illini Edition

We need to call Max Von Sydow, because Langsdorf is currently possessed by Shawn Watson

When the play by play guys are highlighting our punter late in the 3rd, that tells you what kind of game it was

After what I saw today, 8-4 is completely unrealistic

Janovich and Ozzy need to see more touches, they're the only two playing with any killer instinct

This might be the most uninspiring 13-7 that I can remember

They did their best to try and give the game away

If Langsdorf remains as the OC, I have a hard time believing we'll ever see the B1G title game

Shawn Watson and Clemson are beating Notre Dame ;)
Shawn Watson is an assistant coach at Texas.

DeShaun Watson is the QB at Clemson...

You're right-wrong Watson. My bad sorry!

^_^

We learned that this staff is inept, not championship-caliber, and that the wrong hire was made.

Well.

That was succinct, to the point, and accurate.

You should be banned.

Why, because I speak the truth?

If you can't accept criticism (well-warranted criticism, at that), the last place you should be is around football.

My apologies.

You did not get the sarcasm in my post.

For the record, I agree with you.

Could be or we could come back really strong next week here at home and beat Wiscy. I wonder how I would feel if that happens?

No chance in hell. We might be looking at 4-8. Wisky, Iowa, Minnie, NW, MSU...........

I could care less how this "staff" does. Didn't like the hire form the jump, but still said he deserved a chance. Well we are becoming OSU of the B1G. Winners win no matter where they go or are. Losers lose and average, well, just stays average. 5 games in we are seeing why there was no washing of teeth in Corvallis when he left....

I'm not so much concerned about the staff but I am concerned about our players.. How are they doing after this shock of a loss? Will they continue to buy into this new coaching format? How can we support them?

Could be or we could come back really strong next week here at home and beat Wiscy. I wonder how I would feel if that happens?

No chance in hell. We might be looking at 4-8. Wisky, Iowa, Minnie, NW, MSU...........

I could care less how this "staff" does. Didn't like the hire form the jump, but still said he deserved a chance. Well we are becoming OSU of the B1G. Winners win no matter where they go or are. Losers lose and average, well, just stays average. 5 games in we are seeing why there was no washing of teeth in Corvallis when he left....

I do care how our players do, though. How will this poor start effect recruiting? Have the coaches lost this team?

Who knows. One of the captains (lewis) apologized to fans at the game for sucking, the other (Tommy) refused to do interviews and went straight to the bus.

Things aren't looking good though.

Good

1. That Ozigbo needs to be the starting running back.

2. That our defense can give up less than 300 passing yards

3. Drew Brown is really good, glad he bounced back after the first game

The very very bad

1. Mike Riley said the offense will play to their strengths all pre-season. That was a flat out lie. Playing to your strengths is not throwing the ball 30+ times a game when you're averaging 3.9 yards a pass, and only giving the ball to Ozigbo 7 times when he went for 70 yards.

2. This was the worst offensive play calling I've ever seen from Nebraska. This is worse than anything I've seen from Watson and Beck, just absolutely mind boggling what I was seeing. We made this Illinois defense look like the 85 Bears. On a day with strong winds, and to call that many deep passes? An absolute joke. To think the passing stats look a whole lot worse if Cethan Carter doesn't make that catch that should've been picked off.

3. I was wrong about Riley. I should've went with my gut. When I first heard Mike Riley was our coach I thought, "Dear God not again". I'm a Chargers fan, and have dealt with Riley before. But then after an off season with him, I thought ya know what maybe I was wrong. Maybe the Chargers just weren't a good fit for him, maybe he can do it here. Heck he can't be worse than Bo right? I was wrong I was absolutely wrong, and to everyone who I said was wrong for calling Riley, Callahan 2.0 I am sorry. Bo had to go, but that doesn't mean Riley was the right guy. The memories of why I wanted him gone from the Chargers are all coming back to me, and we are in serious trouble here. This loss wasn't on the players, it was squarely on the coaches.

4. Riley and Langsdorf point the finger. What makes this loss even worse, is that they are willing to blame Tommy, by saying "well we called a bootleg". I DO NOT CARE. Calling a bootleg leaves the chance that the QB instincts take over and he tries to throw it, which Tommy did. No you call a simple run, or a QB kneel it doesn't matter you do what you can to keep that clock running.

5. Alex Lewis isn't a captain. This is now two weeks in a row where he's shown his immaturity. Sorry he's not a captain.

• Fire 1

We're still plagued by the same crap. Either the offense shows up but not the defense, vice versa, or nobody at all shows up.

As bad as our defensive secondary is, you can't expect any defense to hold a team to anything when your offense is 0-for-the-century on 3rd down.

Shawn Watson = Tim Beck = Danny Langsdorf. No play-caller in recent memory has had a grasp of what our offense is good at and how to utilize it.

When Nebraska has the lead and the ball, there's barely more time on the game clock than there is on the play clock and time is ticking, don't even give Armstrong the option to throw. Glue the damn football to his hands if you have to. That ball should have never left his hands on 3rd down.

Though that play was a huge factor in Nebraska losing, it shouldn't have been. Nothing should've been a factor in Nebraska losing. We played the Fighting Freaking Illini today. If that's how Nebraska plays against Illinois, how are we going to play against Wisconsin, or Michigan State, or Northwestern, or (heaven forbid) Iowa?

The honeymoon is over. I tried to make excuses for the losses to BYU and Miami. There simply are no more excuses. There's no reason for Nebraska football to be down to this level. It's not about a new coaching staff, or new schemes on both sides of the ball anymore. This coaching staff has to pull its collective head out soon, or this marriage is going to be a very short one.

I do care how our players do, though. How will this poor start effect recruiting? Have the coaches lost this team?

Who knows. One of the captains (lewis) apologized to fans at the game for sucking, the other (Tommy) refused to do interviews and went straight to the bus.

Can't really blame Tommy, after Riley threw him under the bus.

Can't really blame Tommy, after Riley threw him under the bus.

That's the thing that gets to me...Why do that? Either he's a sack o' s#!t who's covering his/Langs a$$ by lying about the call or he's a douche for shoving one of his players out in front of the "Energy Bus". So much for building trust in the locker room. :facepalm:

Coaching experience doesn't equal clock management ability.

Andy Reid thinks Mike Riley is bad at clock management.

Can't be any worse than Les Miles, can he?

It was a coin flip whether to use Reid or Miles. I went with Reid because it's often worked out for Miles...... somehow.

The very bad and the very ugly.

1) We are a bad football team. Look in the mirror. I watch a lot of college football. Nebraska is slow, uninspiring, bad technique at most positions, poor coaching, poor play calling, poor execution, dropped passes, can't move the sticks, can't establish the run, penalized, can't pass rush, slow LB's that can't cover a drag or a slant, DB's that have no idea what they are doing, how many times can you get beat when you know they are going to throw deep. Really?!

2) Our punter is our best player.

3) Nate Gerry is a very overrated football player. This guy is the model on our defense? No wonder we suck. He's always there too late...yes, he's in on a lot of plays but it is always a day late and never short. Should have been an LB.

4) Our DB's are a complete disaster. The coaching is brutal.

5) I could care less if I ever see Reilly out there again? I hear he is our fastest player? Yes, we are that slow.

6) And Alex Lewis...just go away. OL penalties...please stop.

7) The fake sweeps are a joke. They are never executed to look like the player in the sweep is actually getting the ball. So when the player on the sweep gets the ball it is obvious because of all the bad fakes prior. Sloppy.

8) What's with the high snaps? Also creates issues with execution on hand-offs and Tommy's ability to start the play well. Sloppy again.

9) The coaching thus far has been a disaster. What unit has improved? Tommy throws a bit better ball and increased his completion percentage like 5% after 4 games...that's it! Illinois has nobody in their stands, an interim head coach, I believe their #1 RB went down and we still lost? Pathetic! If we can't handle Illinois then we have really fallen.

10) We currently reside at #40 in recruiting rankings behind a whole host of typical scrubs in the BIG and other crappy programs. We are now behind these teams.

Look...we are stuck with this staff I would say 3 years at minimum. But man, they need to get their $^#! together because they are in way over their heads. Riley looks lost out there at times. Just like the previous staff I am willing to go through the growing pains and support them to get their players, install their stuff, get their recruits, etc. but we have yet to beat anyone of significance this year and the schedule is only getting tougher. A huge sign for me will be recruiting. If we don't pull in top 15 classes why are we wasting our time? This has to happen if we expect to win anything of significance. If I am this staff, I tell top recruits to get here to play immediately. I can't think of any position where we are set and are deep at all.